Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why dont more folks use Bowdaar?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Smuggler
Why dont more folks use Bowdaar?

Wolfninjajedi
01.26.2012 , 09:32 PM | #41
Its because tank companions don't have that increase defense buff anymore, thats why most of em are squishy for everyone except for healers.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

gnoams
01.27.2012 , 01:13 AM | #42
I think most people don't use him because of gear. You tend to take crafting skills to make gear for yourself, and can then make gear for all you other companions except him. Unless you have a synthweaving alt he tends to be a pain to keep geared enough not to die really fast.
But I think he's also somewhat underpowered. On a side note, the wookie companions you got in the kotor series were the weakest guys you got cause they only had half the gear slots as everyone else. I think Wookies just need more love.

eldelphia
01.27.2012 , 03:53 AM | #43
I've only just got him so I obviously only have him and Corso to compare but even well geared as a sawbones scoundrel I just find that Bowdaar hits harder but seems squishier than Corso. Looking forward to more options.
Mexi [Sage] ~ Ari'th [Scoundrel] ~ Eldy [Commando]
Formerly ICE Breaker now Corellian Run - Drunken Jedi Masters

CedrionKatar
01.27.2012 , 06:15 AM | #44
Bowdaar is a pain, but that is because all melee tank companions are a pain. My main character is a Healer Sage and so I had to learn how to use Qzyen properly as he is the only viable companion for 40-41 levels.

Melee tanks hold aggro much better then ranged tanks, as they actually use the AoE taunt properly. This means they die a lot quicker as the entire enemy group will hitting them which isn't normally the case with ranged tanks. Melee tanks need the best possible gear you can find/make to survive as they are standing in the most vulnerable place in a combat. If you are a healer they are fantastic if you use them properly (you can easily take on almost any group of enemies with decent resource management), turn them onto passive when you use your CC to pull enemies. Then pull the rest of the enemies away from the CC'd one (break line of sight, run away, etc...) and get Bowdaar to attack. The Throw ability makes it more difficult to manage Bowdaar so turn it off if you are having problems.

It is a pain to deal with doing all of that for the melee tank companions, but sometimes you just have to use them for certain fights. If all you are worried about it killing stuff as fast and efficiently as possible then they are a poor choice for companions.

chiefdano
01.27.2012 , 08:13 AM | #45
I used bowdaar until I got Guss. GEared him with any orange/blue gear that dropped and a good sword.

He is god.

That is all
Graf - Republic of OT Guild Leader and lead trash talker
Hedarr Soongh

Tekkstar
01.27.2012 , 08:21 AM | #46
Im 50 now. I pretty much used Bowdar until I got Risha. Once I got her Ive used her pretty much exclusively all the way up.

My reasoning is she kills things much faster then any of the others. Im a healing scoundrel so... I throw her a couple HoT's and we are good to go. The tanks just take too long. I also prefer her because gearing her is easy as I generally just gave her my gear that I upgraded since she uses the same Medium/Cunning armor.

Ill probably gear up Guss and Corso though as they can be useful here and there. Bowdar I liked but sometimes it just seemed Corso causes less aggro issues and all that.