Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Light Saber Discussion

01.26.2012 , 09:20 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Sai-to View Post
Which is exactly why I explained that until a character hits 0 HP, you aren't actually "hitting" them with the Lightsaber. You are forcing them to dodge and dealing glancing blows (using up their "HP" i.e. endurance/stamina/ability to fight).
Yea, this is how I look at it. You can't expect a game to fully live up to the lore of star wars. It's an rpg. If a lightsaber acted identically to how it's portrayed in the movies, nothing would stand a chance against neither Jedi nor Sith. I do wish there was more dismemberment portrayed in the game, even without blood to keep the rating down from being over the top, but I fear even clean dismemberment would increase the rating to a point where they would fear losing potential customers in a specific demographic. It would just make more sense to me that if I landed a killing blow with a slash, to see a troopers arm fall off. I also feel that some abilities like master-strike, where the final strike is an impalement, should be accompanied by that "THUD" sound you can subtly hear when a killing blow is landed in the movies. Reference: Listen closely to Obi-wan cutting Maul in half with that power-strike,. You can faintly hear a thud like sound of the blade being thrust through body mass. Little things like that would go a long way in my eyes. Just pet peeves though. They already do a good job with lightsaber animations(could be better) and soundeffects in this game.

The only thing I wish they would of done was implement different animations for the different forms. They introduced the forms fully of aware that they were different styles, but slacked on the delivery of them. Even if they just had different opening stances/attacks. For example, Soresu being the regualar jedi guardian stance where they are holding the blade upwards with both hands, obviously ready and awaiting the enemy's advance, but with a style like ataru, the player should stand with the blade held with one hand, tilted down and away. If there was a Djem So specific offensive stance in this game, the blade would be held behind the head, pointed down and angled back. Thus giving way to the wide, powerful yet seemingly effortless slashes of that style. Like I said, little things go a long long way.
Kallisto - Jedi Sentinel

The Dawnshadow Legacy - Anchorhead PVP

01.26.2012 , 09:24 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by BrandonSM View Post
It was made of some type of Lightsaber resistance armor. But it was a full blow against his shoulder, thats why he screamed in pain even though it didn't pierce.
Eh, I disagree...unless lucas has specifically stated that Vader's armor was made to repel a lightsaber when struck without extreme precision and force. The whole lightsaber resistant metals/armor like mandalorian iron for example, weren't really introduced until EU. When we saw that glancing hit from luke back in the OT, I honestly think that was a filming error as the reality of the situation was the blow was only intended to graze vader and burn him pretty badly. At the time of the OT, I don't think anything in the universe could repel a lightsaber besides it's equal, another lightsaber.
Kallisto - Jedi Sentinel

The Dawnshadow Legacy - Anchorhead PVP

01.26.2012 , 09:25 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by BrandonSM View Post
It was made of some type of Lightsaber resistance armor. But it was a full blow against his shoulder, thats why he screamed in pain even though it didn't pierce.
Meh w/e point being is that his armor was made to resist lightsabers somewhat.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

01.27.2012 , 12:45 AM | #24
Originally lightsabers would cut through any material substance. The only thing that could stop them was a force field. I wish they had stuck with that concept rather than various EU writers creating all sorts of deus ex machinas to get around it.

01.27.2012 , 01:26 AM | #25
Well the movies are riddled of that kind of inconsistencies. At one point the wound bleeds and at some other it doesnt. At some point a rail is cut and at some other it doesnt.

There is no real canon followed in the movies, just what fits for the action to remain packed and keep going.

In canon, the lightsaber can cut anything. In EU , there are materials that resists lightsaber, even short it out.

Some things though always stand:

Like if the lightsaber falls on a relativelly thin item, it will cut it right through if not controlled by the user. Be it metal or limb.

Density slows down the pulverizing properties of the lightsaber.

Surelly a lightsaber falling on a computer terminal keyboard/controls would shear through it, especially if its after a parry from the opponent where you momentary loose the control and lightsaber gets deflected somewhere (like the console). It would not spar on it but cut it through.
i5 2500k OC @ 4Ghz | Thermaltek Hyper TX3 air cooler | 8gb Corsair Vengeance | Asus GTX580 CU | Asus Maximus IV GenZ/Gen3 | Thermatek 750W PSU -==- Server: Fredon Nad (EU)// Characters: [B]Vanguard L50: Clipjunkie// [B]Sentinel L50: Seithan// Juggernaur L50: Shaithis // Sorcerer L42: Rasthavas