Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tank Class for PVP

il-jumper
01.25.2012 , 02:28 PM | #1
Hello,

I'm looking to make an alt as Tank, but be good in pvp not useless. Since its Sith side its between Powertech, Juggernaut or Assassin.

What your opinion about tanking pve and pvp with these classes? If possible without the need to respec for pve or pvp (pve tanking build works for pvp)

Juggernaut seems the biggest pain in the arse for pvp. They are hard to kill, have annoying leap and shields. I read that they suck in PVE

Powertech I don't haev much expiernece. I read for PVE they are best tank. For PVP I only met 1 powertech. I know they have pull and charge, but he died so fast when I was a sniper lower level then him.

Assassin seem most useless. in PVE they need to start fight by stealthing and in pvp they die the fastest :S

Again this is what I saw from a Sniper perspective, I have no expiernece. Whats your opinions? Which Tank class should I get? Leveling till lvl 10 won't get me much..since classes start shining around lvl 25ish imo.

MPagano
01.25.2012 , 03:09 PM | #2
I can't speak for the other classes, but I love my juggernaut. And I mean, love.

You need to be careful reading these forums. understand that everyone has different ideas of fun, different expectations, and different attitudes. What one person (or even many people) claim is broken, dumb, or poorly designed is only their experience. If you look in those same threads crying out against juggernauts, there are a number of players running HMs, Ops, and PvP with rank 60+ who all enjoy the class and wouldn't reroll for anything.

I'm still trying different specs out, but I have never changed for pve or pvp- my spec is the same for both. I have not run any Ops yet, but I have started some HMs tanking. I had a blast, and it was one of the more engaging pve experiences I've had in MMOs. Afterwards, 2 of the 3 people in the group whispered me to tell me I did well (the third person is a close friend, and his opinion doesn't count) and they had a blast.

In pvp, I'm totally out-geared. I only hit 50 a couple weeks ago, and I don't play everyday. I haven't even gotten a piece of gear yet from pvp. With that being said, I love the juggernaut in pvp. I have like 14k hp and I still drag 4-5 players across a map. I will say that this is a different type of playstyle, and many people don't like it becuse it is not what they expected. However, I thoroughly enjoy the experience.

I always finish with top 1 or 2 in medals, top in protection, and a great k/d spread. pvp tanking isn't about damage or killing blows, it's about control: damage control, player control, objective control.

SpectreDC
01.25.2012 , 03:23 PM | #3
My main is a powertech. Pretty much what the guy above me said.

As a powertech, I've dominated objective points, crippled healers, protected our healers, and hit stuff.

Usually top of the BG in medals unless I choose to go pure damage and not care about winning. I've managed to hit top of the damage charts. And I'm a level 28 shield tech powertech.

Powertech is fun. We're very mobile and can engage the enemy at any distance. I wouldn't switch classes for anything else.

Vesperr
01.25.2012 , 04:40 PM | #4
I think it should be noted that tanks stats (shield,defense and absorbtion) mean nothing in PvP, so the only reliable source of mitigation comes from armor. Powertech have highest armor, juggs a little less armor and assassins have far worse armor than juggs and PTs.

As a tankasin I can say that our class is all about utility as we have 2-3 stuns (hybrid), pull and can break roots with force speed which is pretty awesome. Also knockback, its useful when protecting someone from enemy melee zerg.

p.s. assassin without dark charge (tank stance) = free kill for anyone so dont expect much from non-tanking specs (coz they use dark charge too).
>___<
I used to be a ballcarrier until I got Leg Shot in the knee.
I cant post if my playtime is over? What The Fckk?!

il-jumper
01.26.2012 , 11:02 AM | #5
It seems that Juggernaut are better for WZ but bad for world pvp.

Assassin seem better for world pvp but useless in wz

Not enough powertech to see :/

Preachir
01.26.2012 , 12:04 PM | #6
If you want a stealthy tank, that has phenomonal potential go Assassin.

Faolon
01.26.2012 , 12:13 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by il-jumper View Post
It seems that Juggernaut are better for WZ but bad for world pvp.

Assassin seem better for world pvp but useless in wz

Not enough powertech to see :/

All tanks are good when played to their strengths.
Too many people expect the class to conform to their idea of what it should do instead of changing their own play style to fit the class.

WoW, for example, was easy enough that you didn't have to know what you were doing to still succeed. You'll find people expect the same thing here.

IMO, play a tank whose play style matches what you want.
Juggernauts are what their name implies. Big, heavy, tanks. They've got a charge, saber throw, execute(I forget the name of the SW version). 3 short term CC's. Force Push can be amazing when used properly.

Powertech are just as big and mean as Juggernauts. They lack the amount of CC Juggs have, but have both a charge and their grapple. Their AoE Taunt is also targeted, so you can't just use it without having anything targeted. I think you'll probably do more damage as a Powertech tank than a Juggernaut tank. Flame Sweep is amazing especially when you add in the damage reduction and the added reduction of taunt and guard.

I have not played Assassin, so I can't comment. I think they may do the most damage of all 3 tank specs, but I'm not entirely certain.
"I will show you things... wonderful, terrible things."

AnubisXy
01.26.2012 , 01:21 PM | #8
If your server population is heavily tilted towards Empire, you're better off making a Juggernaut. With 3 different charges they dominate in Huttball, and you'll probably be playing a lot of Huttball.
"He doesn't use the Force. He just uses... force."