Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Guide] Companion Crew Skill Bonuses -- Picking the Best Crew Skills for your Class

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
[Guide] Companion Crew Skill Bonuses -- Picking the Best Crew Skills for your Class

Phelgon
01.21.2012 , 01:01 PM | #111
Quote: Originally Posted by TheRealBowser View Post
Question 2: Affection reduces crafting time substantially. Jaesa's bonus only reduces her crafting time by 5%, so if another character is 5000 or something and you just got Jaesa, chances are she will craft slower.
Note, my question wasn't specific to crafting items, but asking about the efficiency bonus in general. Specifically, relating to Jasea's Archaeology (gathering skill) efficiency bonus on missions.

I don't see this being the case. I click through Archaeology on each companion (I have 4+the droid, now) and every single one has the exact same time on each mission. From Pierce with 200 affection, Jasea (bonus to eff) with just over 2k affection, to Vette with only 3k eff.

So, from my perspective, either the bonuses of the individual companions is global for all, or there's a bug somewhere.

Vlacke
01.22.2012 , 10:24 PM | #112
Thanks for making this thread , it's very very helpful.

TheRealBowser
01.23.2012 , 12:18 AM | #113
Quote: Originally Posted by PatT View Post
THere seems to be some misunderstanding about crit bonuses. I'm an artificer (250) at this point.

Nobody in my crew has a crit bonus. BUT I have had Cedrax crit on focii (focusses), generators (offhand items) that are artifact and allow augments.

So just because you don't have a crew member with the actual crit bonus, doesn't mean it can't happen. It does. I suppose it's utterly random.

It usually happens if requesting a blue item, and then you'll get an "overkill" or whatever, and then he'll turn out a superior with a augment slot. Matter of fact,the ship droid critted once on a generator as well, and he has no bonuses.

So it is not impossible or unheard of, to crit in Artificing. I sold my superior items at the GTN so I don't have screenshot proof, but I was as surprised as anyone it happened.
I think you misunderstood what I was saying.

Crit bonus is just that -- a bonus. I don't recall where I said that companions do not get an innate chance to crit. If I am not mistaken, increased affection even increases critical chance.

Artifice can crit on offhand items, and I imagine cybertech can critical on droid parts. But the majority of items made by these crew skills (item modifications, etc) can't crit, making crit bonuses much less useful on them and thus, why they do not have any companions that have critical bonuses for them.

TheRealBowser
01.23.2012 , 12:31 AM | #114
Quote: Originally Posted by Phelgon View Post
Note, my question wasn't specific to crafting items, but asking about the efficiency bonus in general. Specifically, relating to Jasea's Archaeology (gathering skill) efficiency bonus on missions.

I don't see this being the case. I click through Archaeology on each companion (I have 4+the droid, now) and every single one has the exact same time on each mission. From Pierce with 200 affection, Jasea (bonus to eff) with just over 2k affection, to Vette with only 3k eff.

So, from my perspective, either the bonuses of the individual companions is global for all, or there's a bug somewhere.
I don't know how it works for you, but efficiency works that way for me and I have specifically tested it. I don't think affection and efficiency effects time needed to craft, I am completely sure it reduces the time to complete these tasks.

Phelgon
01.23.2012 , 01:19 PM | #115
I don't know how it works for you, but efficiency works that way for me and I have specifically tested it. I don't think affection and efficiency effects time needed to craft, I am completely sure it reduces the time to complete these tasks.
Ok, time to craft, but not gathering missions?

I can provide screen shots, I hit "n", I click on the Archaeology "button" on my first companion, Vette, and all 4 or 5 missions have a certain time for each one. I click on the drop down to select a different companion, and they are all the exact same.

I haven't looked at crafting, because I don't have anyone with a + eff to a crafting skill that I have.

I can provide screen shots if what I'm experiencing is a bug or not.

Phelgon
01.23.2012 , 03:27 PM | #116

I can provide screen shots, I hit "n", I click on the Archaeology "button" on my first companion, Vette, and all 4 or 5 missions have a certain time for each one. I click on the drop down to select a different companion, and they are all the exact same.

I haven't looked at crafting, because I don't have anyone with a + eff to a crafting skill that I have.

Ok, so, I see the issue is just the fact that the "mission time" displayed when you choose the companion and mission doesn't reflect the actual mission time required.

So, should I submit I bug report for this? After all, the times are supposed to align.

TheRealBowser
01.23.2012 , 10:52 PM | #117

Oh I get what you are saying now. No, the time actually required to complete is not the same as the time listed for the item/mission. For instance, a maxed out affection Khem Val might have it say that it will take 10 minutes to make an artifice item, but it will be less than 7 or even 6 minutes when you start crafting.

Ok, so, I see the issue is just the fact that the "mission time" displayed when you choose the companion and mission doesn't reflect the actual mission time required.

So, should I submit I bug report for this? After all, the times are supposed to align.
It's probably intentional, at least in the sense that Bioware isn't going to be changing it any time soon. I'd prefer they did but it doesn't really matter all that much to me, personally. Either way I doubt it's a bug, just something they haven't considered/changed yet.

RadEZorack
01.25.2012 , 12:48 PM | #118
Critical Crafting Skills:
Artifice: None.
Synthweaving: Jedi Knight (+5)
Armstech: Smuggler (+5)
Armormech: Trooper (+5)
Cybertech: None.
Biochem: Jedi Knight (+5)

Critical Crafting Skills:
Artifice: None.
Synthweaving: Sith Warrior (+5)
Armstech: Bounty Hunter (+1)
Armormech: Imperial Agent (+2)
Cybertech: None.
Biochem: Bounty Hunter (+2)
Personally, I think crit trumps all when it comes to crafting skills.
The Republic has an advantage here.
The Empire needs a buff.
QQ

P.S. Great Post

Def_Zep
01.26.2012 , 05:23 PM | #119
Quote: Originally Posted by RadEZorack View Post
Personally, I think crit trumps all when it comes to crafting skills.
P.S. Great Post
I fully agree.

The importance of crafting your own items, versus just picking them up via commendations/rewards, is the critical version.

Given this, I value the amount of a critical manufacturing bonus twice that of any efficiency bonus. After all, I can always wait a bit longer to finish a task. I can't, however, improve my probablility of scoring a critical result on a crafting attempt, except through my companion's inherent critical bonus.

Also, the value of the Sith Warrior's companion bonii comes in conjunction with other characters. For those running alts, e.g., the Sith Warrior serves as an excellent materials collector for a Sith Inquisitor Artificer, and in return, the Inquisitor perfectly backs up the Synthweaving skill on a Warrior.

And yes, superb post. Great work here!

TheCosmicMuffet
01.27.2012 , 11:51 AM | #120
I agree, and the jump between +2 and +5, is, itself, a pretty big deal. Even when imps have a critter, assuming you want to specifically run up a class just for access to that crew member, they don't have it at as high a quality. Smuggler, trooper, and jedi knight dominate the options for armor, biochem, and arms.

This is that old routine of the game bonus question where you offer a player +30% xp, or a 1% extra damage. It sounds like you want the xp while you level, but you're going to be cap someday, and the efficiency improvement won't matter to you anymore--all you will want is access to better stats which you can't get any other way than RNG and luck.

Maybe they should just put crit into companion opinion of you and give them base efficiency improvements. They simply classify a companion as 'talented: cybertech' or whatever. That way they can do a behind-the-scenes calculation to crit, regardless (which they can also balance whenever they feel like universally across companions), and give a uniform speed bonus in the chosen discipline.

So for example: 4X; talented (Cybertech). His crafting comes out 15% faster, from word go, but as you get him more affectionate, behind the scenes he gains an extra cybertech crit bonus. Which helps him make awesome droid parts. Which nobody cares about and won't buy on the GM. But good for him--he should have a hobby.

:jawa: