Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tracer missile spammage?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Tracer missile spammage?

Chrisbox
12.14.2011 , 01:44 PM | #1
So i beta tested a merc in beta and had a pretty good time and am debating on maining one at launch but From what ive seen higher lvl mercs [ dps spec ] just spam tracer missile....alot. It looks like its the best way to dish out alot of dmg but is it heroic sitting there in the oddest position and firing missiles our your back all day? Not at all. If i wanted to sit back in one spot and click buttons I could play the IA. Im wondering if any changes have been made to this as far as anyone knows and if its been adressed.

bmonday
12.14.2011 , 02:48 PM | #2
So play something else...? Nobody is forcing you to play a BH if you don't like the playstyle, just like you were allowed to not play an IA for the same reason. That said, you might try a pyro-based build, which is much more melee-centric.

mrmojoz
12.14.2011 , 02:58 PM | #3
There are four DPS specs for a BH, if you don't like Merc/Arsenal pick a diffrent one.

Gundor
12.14.2011 , 03:19 PM | #4
The name of the game for Bounty Hunters is heat management. Although Tracer Missiles is certainly you main ability, if you sit back and spam it, even with talents redcuing the heat cost, you'll build up heat rapidly. Also if you haven't noticed yet, the higher your heat is the slower it dissipates. For maximum damage output, you can't let your heat build up over about 1/3 of the maximum. Therefore, you need to incorporate other abilities such as Unload and Rail Shot into your shot rotation in order to manage your heat buildup while maximizing damage.

Appletaz
12.14.2011 , 04:06 PM | #5
Yah, you can spam Tracer Missile a couple times and then do a rotation of your other skills. I actually enjoyed doing that because they each have a different effect on the target. There are some instant skills (darts) that are pretty fun to toss in between as well. Im not in the game right now, so I can't remember the names ><

Airees
12.14.2011 , 04:08 PM | #6
Levelling as merc is tracer spammage. However once you reach level 35+ and when in groups some other spells start becoming more relevant.

DSMADDOX
12.14.2011 , 04:28 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Airees View Post
Levelling as merc is tracer spammage. However once you reach level 35+ and when in groups some other spells start becoming more relevant.
As a non-WOW player, I will NEVER get use to people calling abilities "Spells"

drunkengoat
12.14.2011 , 04:30 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by DSMADDOX View Post
As a non-WOW player, I will NEVER get use to people calling abilities "Spells"
Found myself calling Force power "mana" the other day when talking with a coworker. I wanted to punch myself in the face.

CTifer
12.14.2011 , 04:35 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Gundor View Post
The name of the game for Bounty Hunters is heat management. Although Tracer Missiles is certainly you main ability, if you sit back and spam it, even with talents redcuing the heat cost, you'll build up heat rapidly.
Not really... The channel time to activate gives you enough of a delay where heat doesn't build up fast.

Just mix in a normal shot here and there and you're fine.
Sabre of Exar Kun
Chong (lvl 50 Mercenary)
Pew'pew'u (lvl 50 Sniper)
Vestaro (lvl 50 Assassin)