Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

buying a new processor

Lamuse
01.24.2012 , 09:40 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by DeltaGun View Post
Why do you have to get a new operating system?Motherboard is completely independent from operating system.

The OS is installed to your harddrive, and you can swap OS from harddrive to harddrive as long as your keep your OS CDKEY. The motherboard just connects everything together.
With Windows 7 you are limited to the number of times you can change hardware and activating it without having to buy a new cdkey (supposedly).

chaoswarriorcris
01.24.2012 , 09:48 PM | #12
well if i can run the game good in pvp with a Intel Q8400 Core 2 Quad 2.66 i won't need to buy a new motherboard just yet.

glyphmon
01.24.2012 , 10:20 PM | #13
Regarding the operating system issue... since Windows XP they implemented activation, which links the computer you're installing the operating system on to the specific hardware. You are allowed to make certain changes to the system without invalidating your "Genuine" status, however, the motherboard and processor, considered by Microsoft to be the heart of the system, generally cannot be changed in one fell swoop, as this constitutes (by Microsoft's definition) a new computer.

OEM versions of Windows are bound to that system and mobo/cpu for life, that's it. Retail versions tend to have more leeway.

Now, as regards CPU upgrades for the OP's specific system, the best thing I can recommend is to look up the supported CPU list on your motherboard manufacturer's website. If you've got an LGA775 board, which is itself a bit dated, I would NOT buy a new processor. Look in the supported CPU list, find a few high-end processors, write down their product codes.

Then check eBay for used processors. While you need to do your research, a decent used CPU is fairly easy to locate on eBay.
Glyphmon
---
Intel Core i5-2500k OC 4.5GHz | Gigabyte P67A-D3-B3 | Crucial Ballistix 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600
2x WD Caviar Black 500GB RAID1 | PNY GeForce 560 GTX 1GB | MS Windows 7 Pro x64

Ice_bear
01.24.2012 , 10:23 PM | #14
when i had vista i bought a new CPU and Mobo for my computer and i had to reinstall windows after all that you just need to call microsoft support and they will transfer it for you that is how i did it

DeltaGun
01.25.2012 , 12:37 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Ice_bear View Post
when i had vista i bought a new CPU and Mobo for my computer and i had to reinstall windows after all that you just need to call microsoft support and they will transfer it for you that is how i did it
Yeah I heard if you call them they will always let you do it. Even if you make up some bullcrap and never had a legit copy in the first place, lol.