Badly Flawed Game Design. Player too.

Rochissa

I cancelled my subscription today, and it expires around the end of next month.

I did it for one big reason: This game isn't fun. It's frustrating.

I will be the first one to say that I am not very talented at video games. Some people might even call me bad. I would prolly agree with those people. I know a few things, like what interrupts are for, and I have a good idea of which skills are the best bang for my buck in terms of resources and cooldowns, but that's about it. That said...

I die. I die a LOT. Most notably, (and frustratingly) I die on class-specific quests a lot. (Darth Angral I'm looking at you) This wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that these class quests effectively "gate" the rest of the game. Sure, I can finish all the solo quests on Alderaan, but I can't progress any further, go to any new planets, or take any new quests. Heck, even my prospects for out-leveling the quest difficulty are a little limited.

I don't like that mandatory quests are so hair-pullingly difficult (and that's before they handcuff you to a companion which you may not have used in ages...). I get that difficulty is a requirement of a game. The issue is WHERE you put the difficulty. Let the folks that want difficulty go look for it. Don't let it sneak up behind me, beat me up, then take my lunch money.

Dying isn't fun. Dying is annoying. I don't play this game to be annoyed, I play it for a pleasant distraction. In exchange for a pleasant distraction, I am willing to pay a monthly fee.

Why won't you take my money?

Edited by Rochissa

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be the first one to say that I am not very talented at video games. Some people might even call me bad. I would prolly agree with those people. I know a few things, like what interrupts are for, and I have a good idea of which skills are the best bang for my buck in terms of resources and cooldowns, but that's about it. That said...

I die. I die a LOT. Most notably, (and frustratingly) I die on class-specific quests a lot. (Darth Angral I'm looking at you) This wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that these class quests effectively "gate" the rest of the game. Sure, I can finish all the solo quests on Alderaan, but I can't progress any further, go to any new planets, or take any new quests. Heck, even my prospects for out-leveling the quest difficulty are a little limited.

I don't like that mandatory quests are so hair-pullingly difficult (and that's before they handcuff you to a companion which you may not have used in ages...). I get that difficulty is a requirement of a game. The issue is WHERE you put the difficulty. Let the folks that want difficulty go look for it. Don't let it sneak up behind me, beat me up, then take my lunch money.

Dying isn't fun. Dying is annoying. I don't play this game to be annoyed, I play it for a pleasant distraction. In exchange for a pleasant distraction, I am willing to pay a monthly fee.

You're playing an MMO... make a friend and have them help you. They take your money to show you things, not hold your hand.

Suck it up and improve, or quit.

I understand frustration with bugs, poor quality content, and a shallow loot treadmill for an end game, but if content that others can do is too difficult for you then the problem clearly rests with you and not the game design.

I suspect that those of us who find a game without challenge boring far outnumber you. Sucks for you, but that's how it goes.

You're playing an MMO... make a friend and have them help you. They take your money to show you things, not hold your hand.

Unfortunately, for class quests this is near impossible. Mostly because only member of your same class, that are on that same mission can group with you. The one time I did pull it off, the quest bugged out and I had to re-do it solo this time.

Also, @ Onyx, you're right! And Mushroom, that's exactly what I did. :-P

They can't take it, you canceled your subscription.

As to the times you said you died, get better. Honestly, I had a rough time in the beta with class specific quests, they frustrated me to the bones that some were so close to being finished then the boss kills you.

But then i realized, I just needed to shut up and try harder, and in the end it was a lot more rewarding because I put more effort into it.

Unfortunately, for class quests this is near impossible. Mostly because only member of your same class, that are on that same mission can group with you. The one time I did pull it off, the quest bugged out and I had to re-do it solo this time.

Your quest was bugged then, cause I've helped my Smug buddy while we were leveling with his class quests(I'm referring both to ones on planets, and at the end of chapters).

You do know that there's an option to allow more than one of the same class in storyline missions right?

Your quest was bugged then, cause I've helped my Smug buddy while we were leveling with his class quests(I'm referring both to ones on planets, and at the end of chapters).

Ah, the one specific one I'm referring to is the Darth Angral encounter where you fly out to the middle of nowhere on your ship. People not on the quest can't even fly there.

Ah, the one specific one I'm referring to is the Darth Angral encounter where you fly out to the middle of nowhere on your ship. People not on the quest can't even fly there.

Haven't done that, did you try having them board your ship and flying there yourself?

Had the same issues on a few Class quests on my maruder, specialy some sand demon thingy on my maruder, died like 10 times on that guy, and when i ran out to get a lvl on him, i found out he actualy also gained lvl ><.

And my nub brother was loughing at me....

my self, i consider my self a good MMO player, but that Q annoyed me alot.

But i found that i had to utilize ALL my CDs nearly prefectly and after i slowly figured it out, i killed him whit ease.

Same on the last part, but then i had learned from previous issues i had, and just died 3 times, where it looks like ppl coplain they are inhumanly hard.

You might be right that the "hardness" of the game isn`t always placed the right place, but someone whould always be able to state that.

most of the Class quest you can just gain a lvl or 2 on, and just faceroll them, only the the last at lvl 50 will be hard to out lvl for obvious reasons, and (dont know for other classes) but the demon that lvled when i did it.

But 2 Class quests, isnt game breaking, and as far as i know you can on some or all or specific, not sure tbh, but get another of you`re class and have the mhelp out.

But when there are things you can ignore becouse they are to hard or just annoying its fine, but i can see the annoyance of a class specific quest that prevents from progressing is rather upsetting.

Well, i suggest you cool it a bit, and ask for help, or browes forums, youtube, for assistance, giving up here and you will learn nothing in MMOs, and stay, as you put you`re self, a badie :D

I sucked 10 years ago at MMOs, friends fellow gamers and the ability to learn made it so i never really have anny issues.

But everyone is diffrent, my brothers LOVE playing singel player games on max difficulty, or a "challange", my self, i really dont see the point, i play em on easy or normal, cus i dont want to buy a game and having it annoy me to bits just becouse its a challange or what ever.

MMOs dont have a difficulty setting, so momst games got a learnign curve witch are uildt in to the game, and playing my Maruder to 50, after 30 was pretty steep, but i enjoyed it and i belived my experience and personality made me a better player.

Do a few space missions and PvP, come back in a level or two. I personally have overleveled to the point that by the time I get a planet in my class mission I've already surpassed the level range for it. And I'm level 26.

The opportunities to level are there, you just aren't using them. Space, PvP, heroics, side quests, flashpoints...the list goes on and on.

I just would like to reiterate what has already been mentioned above me. You do not have to be a member of the same class, nor do you need to be on the same mission, to group with someone and help on their class quests. I have assisted a number of guildmates on various phases of their class quests and have had no problem doing so, even though I am a Consular, they were say, a knight, and I obviously did not have their quests.

Edit: I've helped on that exact Angral quest. You just need to group up with the person and have them board your ship with you before you fly out there.

Edited by Haericred

As others have said, get a teammate on your ship and take him/her with you to punch Angral in the face-hole.

I just would like to reiterate what has already been mentioned above me. You do not have to be a member of the same class, nor do you need to be on the same mission, to group with someone and help on their class quests. I have assisted a number of guildmates on various phases of their class quests and have had no problem doing so, even though I am a Consular, they were say, a knight, and I obviously did not have their quests.

Edit: I've helped on that exact Angral quest. You just need to group up with the person and have them board your ship with you before you fly out there.

Wait, seriously?! ... I feel like I should have been told. Like somewhere in big, bold typeface. Or maybe on the cancellation screen. Something like "LOL, U BAD BRO? Try inviting a friend! Yes, even on a class quest!"

Wha? I have grouped with my son for every quest on 2 characters, class and otherwise. He IA and BH for one pairing and the two Sith classes for the other. We watch each others class quests in spectator mode, and fight together.

Sooner or later they will have to face the fact that they need to add difficulty sliders to the missions. Not everyone plays at the same skill level and they will lose a good portion of the casual market if they don't.

I know they can do it, other MMO's have in the past and it made people happy. You could *pump up the volume* or wimp out and finish your missions at your own speed/skill.

Not to mention not all classes are the same power/str-wise nor are all class missions balanced well no matter how much focus testing they did. imho

Unfortunately, for class quests this is near impossible. Mostly because only member of your same class, that are on that same mission can group with you.

This is completely false, as stated earlier. Anyone can come on a class quest with you if you allow it. Anyone.

Specifically for the Angral quest, you can fly there, and if you're grouped anyone with a ship can go there, too, once you're there.

Edited by Pink_Saber