Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SW:TOR submits ILLEGAL Code Algorithms! It may corrupt your Drivers and Registry!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
SW:TOR submits ILLEGAL Code Algorithms! It may corrupt your Drivers and Registry!

Grammarye
01.24.2012 , 06:39 PM | #141
Quote: Originally Posted by Snottie View Post
So, here is me, this guy over here, that guy and that guy over there, we all start having reboots after 1/6 patch, and its still not the same thing? Just a coincidence?
The OP did not talk about reboots only. They are alleging that that patch corrupted parts of Windows. Plus reboots can happen for a variety of reasons and there are such things as different actual reboots. It's not like they changed just one thing in the patch. That is precisely why that thread you linked is useful and this thread isn't. It's about finding these things out properly which is what Bioware is paid to do.
Quote: Originally Posted by KTheAlchemist View Post
I guess, to be clearer: "A combination of a weakness in driver design coupled with software that inadvertently exploits that weakness can damage hardware."
If you must. That is still in no way the game developer's fault. It's Nvidia/AMD and/or the user for not sorting out their fan profile or checking their temps vs expected temps. There is a certain onus on users to keep their PC in reasonable health. The alternative route is 'I ran my CPU with no heatsink and it broke, Microsoft are to blame, Windows is running too hot!' and that's not one I think we want to go down.

Anyway, speaking of overheating, I'm burned out in explaining how coding works, so I wish the saner members of this thread luck.

For what it's worth, I really do wish the best of luck to those having problems; I know they're frustrating all too well. I just would ask for a little calm, a little sense to prevail, and maybe a few more helpful diagnostic postings and a little less panic. The sky is most unlikely to be falling, and if it is, headless chickens do not help.
For 2000 Cartel Coins, a year-old game breaking bug may get fixed.
For $20, an epic death scene for your character is unlocked to end your overly expensive class story. Subscribers pay $10.

DarthRains
01.24.2012 , 06:44 PM | #142
Quote: Originally Posted by Grammarye View Post
The OP did not talk about reboots only. They are alleging that that patch corrupted parts of Windows. Plus reboots can happen for a variety of reasons and there are such things as different actual reboots. It's not like they changed just one thing in the patch. That is precisely why that thread you linked is useful and this thread isn't. It's about finding these things out properly which is what Bioware is paid to do.

If you must. That is still in no way the game developer's fault. It's Nvidia/AMD and/or the user for not sorting out their fan profile or checking their temps vs expected temps. There is a certain onus on users to keep their PC in reasonable health. The alternative route is 'I ran my CPU with no heatsink and it broke, Microsoft are to blame, Windows is running too hot!' and that's not one I think we want to go down.
I have actually had to re-write on bios fan profiles for several video cards because manufacturers failed to set them up properly to keep the cards cool enough to run properly...I actually have one setup in the pc right next to me that was rebooting CONSTANTLY before i did this.. Now it runs like a dream!

Edit: Card was a MSI R4850
Intel Core i5 760 Lynnfield @ 2.8ghz / MSI Radeon 6790 1gb GDDR5 / 4GB DDR3 Patriot G2 Series X.M.P 1600 DC / Patriot Pyro 120GB SSD

Snottie
01.24.2012 , 07:13 PM | #143
In my case its definitely not an overheating problem: cold pc -> start -> run swtor -> reboot while loading character selection screen =\

CommanderPaco
01.24.2012 , 07:22 PM | #144
Wow...just wow.

I think I'm done trying to decipher threads like this. Grammarye was one of the few who knows what he/she is talking about. The lack of Windows and/PC hardware troubleshooting knowledge is staggering. Yet claims are made left and right... I'm not trying to make a blanket statement, but there are more people who think they know a lot about Windows troubleshooting versus those who actually do.

Folks, SWTOR corrupts nothing but itself. BSODs and the like are because there's either a fault with the hardware itself or there's an inherent driver issue involved where the game may try to do something that the drivers don't like (e.g. specifically GPU related).

SWTOR can't corrupt DirectX nor your drivers. Registry corruption can occur due to improper installs or uninstalls, outdated software/driver information, or legit malicious software (e.g. malware, Trojan Horse viruses, etc.), so in that aspect it could happen, but it's not common

Until I see event viewer logs, or anything of that nature, I'm skeptical of all of these "conspriacies". Besides, why would the game work fine on 2 of my 3 PCs and when I copy over a working copy onto the PC that has the non-working one, everything works fine. I've seen this be an issue for two of my friends as well.

I'm not doubting that there's some software problem in communicating with the hardware; however, there's no conspiracy here folks. Also keep in mind, and it's happened with other games as well in the past, video drivers can cause issues with some games and sometimes, the GPU manufacturer will release another driver update to address issues in a particular game.

Disclaimer: My knowledge comes from years troubleshooting PCs and Windows (from ye olde 3.x days) coupled with my 2 years of work in desktop/network support, so yes, I would know what the crap I'm talking about.

/end rant
On dit quelquefois: "Le sens commun est fort rare." (People sometimes say: "Common sense is quite rare.") - Voltaire (François-Marie Arouet)
Krayt Dragon (PvE) - Death Star Orphans | Kirana (IA/Sniper) / Ra'van (SW/Marauder)
Space Combat Revamp Suggestions! | More Space Combat Suggestions by Lord_Nova

Desparil
01.24.2012 , 07:31 PM | #145
After reading through this thread I believe the OP is trolling.

Kudos

generalroku
01.24.2012 , 07:35 PM | #146
--QQ--

Dosvor
01.24.2012 , 07:35 PM | #147
Quote: Originally Posted by Kenshinth View Post
lol people looking into crap way too much. I had random crashes and launcher failing to patch the game around that sametime but instead of making up random **** I tested my hardware first and found I had bad ram stick (was bought recently) and swapped it out and 0 crashes since.
Mine was a bad ram stick as well.

Pherdnut
01.24.2012 , 08:02 PM | #148
Quote: Originally Posted by Tanantha View Post
SW:TOR, when introduced to very specific computer hardware/software combinations, introduces illegal code which corrupts your system drivers and Direct X Registry Components.
Where are you getting this term "illegal code" from. That sounded kind of specific to me so I was curious but you give no details.

Which drivers and Direct X Registry components? What is it you're looking at that's telling you these have been corrupted.

It is entirely possible that starting up TOR sets off a chain reaction that kerplodes your machine. It's not necessarily anybody's fault. These are complex machines. One bad pair of perfectly reasonable assumptions on the part of say a graphics card manufacturer updating their drivers and a game dev updating their game could lead to a problem. It's not like they can test every possible configuration.

Suggestions:

* Can you dupe the problem when your system isn't OC'd? If you're overclocking more than just the processor, try with everything at factory normal and then add one at a time until you notice trouble if you don't dupe right away.

* How about with a downgrade or upgrade of your graphics card drivers?

* Give more detail if you follow up.
Amurrka, Malfunction, Skeeve, Derp, Deeva, Orinj @Dreshdae Cantina

"QQ!"

Qemyst
01.24.2012 , 08:11 PM | #149
...What Pherdnut said.

What are you actually looking at that is showing you proof that registry keys and drivers are being corrupted?

Surely if you ran all your tests, you were looking at actual proof showing you that things were being corrupted, and not just speculating that things were being corrupted.

Daex
01.24.2012 , 08:23 PM | #150
I'm not sure that application like SWTOR would be able to mess the drivers.

However I do agree that it's possible for it to damage the hardware although not directly. For example consistent hard crashes/reboots can easily damage the hard drive and/or the power supply.