Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Please add a looking for group function

SomeDudeIsanub
01.24.2012 , 04:23 PM | #121
I would like to see this discussion happen without degenerating into vague points about "IT WILL DESTROY YOUR COMMUNITY".

Just once.

All flashpoints for your faction are accessed from the same place, it's not like you'd need to travel to get there anyway.

There will always be several people who will group up to do crap together the old fashioned way, specially for Heroics. Always.

How many pug groups have you been in that burst into meaningful conversation about ANYTHING?!
In Peace: Vigilance. In War: Awesomeness. In the Kitchen: Deliciousness.

Skann
01.24.2012 , 04:29 PM | #122
Quote: Originally Posted by SomeDudeIsanub View Post
I would like to see this discussion happen without degenerating into vague points about "IT WILL DESTROY YOUR COMMUNITY".

Just once.

All flashpoints for your faction are accessed from the same place, it's not like you'd need to travel to get there anyway.

There will always be several people who will group up to do crap together the old fashioned way, specially for Heroics. Always.

How many pug groups have you been in that burst into meaningful conversation about ANYTHING?!
The issue with "destroys the community" argument is that even Bioware parrots it. Makes it kinda of hard to be ignored by either side of the discussion.

You do need to travel. You can't queue to a FP and go do your dailies, and if off server peak time, forget about it. Also, there are 3 FP hubs, 2 in fleet and 1 in Ilum.

I agree with you, people will always group and do stuff together. That's probably the main goal of guilds.

Momotomo
01.24.2012 , 05:07 PM | #123
Quote: Originally Posted by Skann View Post
I'll ask the same question I'm asking forever in these threads: What if you don't care about virtual community and virtual "friends"? What if, for you, it's just a multi-player game, not a socialization tool? What if you consider guilds the social aspect of the game, not meeting random people and "talking" (whatever you can talk to while playing a FP) with them via an IRC interface out of the 80s? If you said yes to any of the previous, are you automatically the "wow jerk" that you guys keep on talking about?

Again, not everyone had bad experiences with WoW's LFG. Actually there is a lot of positive feed back (it's efficient, fast, time saving, etc). Are there a minority of jerks? Sure there are, but that's life.

Finally, nothing will ever force you to use it. "Oh, but then I won't have groups on my own server because everyone will use it". Well, take a hint, you are part of the vocal minority.

I, and a lot of people, pay to play a game, not to participate in any sort of social experiment.
I would argue that what you are really looking for is not an MMO, but rather and FPS with matchmaking and some RPG elements. Classically, MMOs are different from normal multiplayer because of the perpetual world that comes with MMOs. And community and social interaction forms part of this perpetual world. I would argue that in an MMO, the ability to walk around the central hub and /wave at people and other silly frills is just as important as clearing content, especially since content eventually runs out.

But if that's how you enjoy the game, that's actually all right with me. Because I believe that everyone should be able to enjoy the game in the way the like as far as possible. Happily, there is a mutually beneficial way to keep you happy and to address my concerns too. And that would be a non cross server LFG tool, coupled with server mergers/transfers to ensure healthy server size. I don't see why a cross server LFG tool MUST be the answer, given the issues that come with it. Sure these issues have been exaggerated by some, but they are still present. And IF there is a way to have everyone happy, why not?

And let's not kid ourselves. Neither you nor I can authoritatively say who is in the majority. The forums are but a fraction of the game's players, and even going by this trend there seems to be a 50/50 split on the issue.

Finally on the matter of what happens when LFG gets implemented. I'm not sure what's the point of stating this since if a cross server LFG has been implemented then all this discussion is already in vain. Those of us who will quit will quit, and those of us who like the rest of the game enough (star wars fans) will suffer the LFG tool for a bit, and maybe quit later or stay. All this is kinda irrelevant since we are arguing now about whether or not this should happen.

Pinchy_
01.24.2012 , 05:58 PM | #124
What genius decided that you should only be able to fit one 20 letter word as a looking for group note?

This guy got paid?
';,,;'

Too many Bobby Koticks in this industry that care too much about the casual locusts that consume and move.

Trineda
01.24.2012 , 06:10 PM | #125
Hello everyone,

In order to keep the forums tidy and conversations in one place please use this thread to discuss the pros and cons of LFD and Dungeon Finders, we will be closing this current thread.