Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Emperor's Wrath vs. Darth Nox (spoilers)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Emperor's Wrath vs. Darth Nox (spoilers)

Fraevar
01.23.2012 , 09:21 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Paulsutherland View Post
My moneys on Darth Imperius
Ahh, the title best suited to my character. If only most of the high-end gear wasn't LS or DS restricted. Makes it insanely hard to RP the character you want in a systems design hell bent on forcing you towards one polar spectrum or the other

But I assume we all know who we're talking about for the purpose of the discussion

Uruare
01.23.2012 , 10:13 AM | #12
Darth Nox? They named my inquisitor Darth Occlus as I recall, and it kinda made me go "So, wait, I'm Darth Eyeball? Bahahahahaha". This is the first I've heard of a Darth Nox.

I wonder if my inquisitor being an assassin...affected that? I'll have to get my sorc to 50 and see, perhaps.
I'm the casual gamer with more money than time to burn. Loath me for it if you like.

Forum Moderators, I dedicate this to you. You poor, underappreciated sods.

AngelousWang
01.23.2012 , 10:53 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Uruare View Post
Darth Nox? They named my inquisitor Darth Occlus as I recall, and it kinda made me go "So, wait, I'm Darth Eyeball? Bahahahahaha". This is the first I've heard of a Darth Nox.

I wonder if my inquisitor being an assassin...affected that? I'll have to get my sorc to 50 and see, perhaps.
Darth Occlus = All Lightside.
Darth Imperius = More Empire loyal, rather than Darkside-Lightside.
Darth Nox = All Darkside.

Darth Nox will probably end up being canon. As will all the Darkside version of the Empire stories.

As for the topic:
Rank wise: Wrath > Nox

Wrath is higher than the Dark Council.

Lore combat wise: Wrath > Nox

The Wrath can take on the entire Dark Council single handed, however Darth Nox is somewhat Immortal, but the Wrath has beaten Immortals before, and could easily contentiously beat Nox down and have the Emperor use a force prison to imprison him, plus the fact like Lord Scourge the Emperor will likely make the Wrath Immortal too at some point in the future.

Actual combat wise: Nox > Wrath.

SI is over-powered, bubble, heal, Lightning. SW is underpowered, forcechoke-broken, ravage-broken.
CE VIP

DarkestDaemon
01.23.2012 , 11:04 AM | #14

Actually, as Darth Occulus you are 'Darth to trample'.

Now if you were Darth Oculus you'd be 'Darth Eye'.

Spelling errors in Latin can make a hell of a difference!
"The Force will set me free!"
Darth Tybek Maar, Wraith of Taris
Wraith (The Story of Tybek) - http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=246582

Uruare
01.23.2012 , 11:39 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by AngelousWang View Post
Darth Occlus = All Lightside.
Darth Imperius = More Empire loyal, rather than Darkside-Lightside.
Darth Nox = All Darkside.

Darth Nox will probably end up being canon. As will all the Darkside version of the Empire stories.

As for the topic:
Rank wise: Wrath > Nox

Wrath is higher than the Dark Council.

Lore combat wise: Wrath > Nox

The Wrath can take on the entire Dark Council single handed, however Darth Nox is somewhat Immortal, but the Wrath has beaten Immortals before, and could easily contentiously beat Nox down and have the Emperor use a force prison to imprison him, plus the fact like Lord Scourge the Emperor will likely make the Wrath Immortal too at some point in the future.

Actual combat wise: Nox > Wrath.

SI is over-powered, bubble, heal, Lightning. SW is underpowered, forcechoke-broken, ravage-broken.

Thankya for the breakdown. I did not know that, though my inquisitor was resoundingly neutral as far as LS/DS went. No benefit to so being yet, but it amused me. Not sure if I was more pro-Imperial or not along the way offhand though.

In fact, my inquisitor only got to dark 1 once and didn't stay there long, so I wonder if the breakdown you gave is entirely accurate. Interesting that there is a difference at all though.

New info is new. Thanks again for illustrating that.
I'm the casual gamer with more money than time to burn. Loath me for it if you like.

Uruare
01.23.2012 , 11:49 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkestDaemon View Post
Actually, as Darth Occulus you are 'Darth to trample'.

Now if you were Darth Oculus you'd be 'Darth Eye'.

Spelling errors in Latin can make a hell of a difference!

Yeah, but Darth Eyeball was the first funny that came to mind in going 'Wat?' at it.

Wasn't a bad thing. SW canon traditionally names Darths in distorted evilbad fashions directly derivate of RL words and connotations. Darth Vader, Dark Father? I might be seeing a faintly hazed correlation where none was implied, but I suspect it was implied.

If its intended as such, it's actually kinda clever on the psychological note. Phonetic similes can carry an abstract implication without subscribing to a literal, specific reference or derivation.

Darth Vader as an example again only makes sense as a phonetic simile when you know the story and can go "Hmm. Sounds an awful lot like Darth Father. He really was that; did Lucas intend for that to be an 'Aha!' in retrospect, or am I just making up correlations to perceive here?"

Darth Nihilus, Darth Ravage, Darth Bane, Darth Maul, Darth Sidious (insidious?), Darth Revan (raven?), Darth Nox/Occlus/Imperious (latin in a galaxy far, far away and long, long ago?).

Pretty plain that naming conventions with Sith are blatant appeals to the phonetic correlation in some cases at least, with lots of wiggle room to mistakenly assume that a cigar is more than a cigar on yet others (such as might be the case with Vader).

The mere fact that it engages the curiosity sells it though. Good stuff.

DarkestDaemon
01.23.2012 , 12:03 PM | #17
Yeah, but Darth Eyeball was the first funny that came to mind in going 'Wat?' at it.

Wasn't a bad thing. SW canon traditionally names Darths in distorted evilbad fashions directly derivate of RL words and connotations. Darth Vader, Dark Father? I might be seeing a faintly hazed correlation where none was implied, but I suspect it was implied.

If its intended as such, it's actually kinda clever on the psychological note. Phonetic similes can carry an abstract implication without subscribing to a literal, specific reference or derivation.

Darth Vader as an example again only makes sense as a phonetic simile when you know the story and can go "Hmm. Sounds an awful lot like Darth Father. He really was that; did Lucas intend for that to be an 'Aha!' in retrospect, or am I just making up correlations to perceive here?"

Darth Nihilus, Darth Ravage, Darth Bane, Darth Maul, Darth Sidious (insidious?), Darth Revan (raven?), Darth Nox/Occlus/Imperious (latin in a galaxy far, far away and long, long ago?).

Pretty plain that naming conventions with Sith are blatant appeals to the phonetic correlation in some cases at least, with lots of wiggle room to mistakenly assume that a cigar is more than a cigar on yet others (such as might be the case with Vader).

The mere fact that it engages the curiosity sells it though. Good stuff.
Don't forget "Darth Tyrannus".
Wraith (The Story of Tybek) - http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=246582

Fraevar
01.24.2012 , 09:44 AM | #18
I wonder why this topic was even started, actually. I mean it's interesting to speculate as a theoretical exercise, but since it's doubtful BioWare will be able to work the scenario with the current structure of the game it does seem pointless. We're all making comments based on our own bias and/or enjoyment of the two stories, after all.

On a personal note, a much more interesting encounter would be if the reform-minded light side Sith Warrior became aware of a Darth Nox experiencing doubts about the dark side and the nature of the Empire. A dark sided reform-minded Sith Inquisitor is the most interesting take on the character I can think of. Even if the Inquisitor has lived the dark side her whole life, her slave background is a great motivator for her desiring reform.

Interesting thought experiment, pardon the tangent.

Zantul
01.24.2012 , 10:21 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Girdeux View Post
The WHOLE dark council was said to be scared to death of Lord Scourge when he was the Wrath, that not even combined they would even try a power play against him. Just shows what sort of intimidation/power someone of that title can do. The emperors servants wouldnt choose someone weaker then their previous wrath.

Id definetly say the Wrath would be stronger then nox
You have ANY idea who Lord Scourge is do you??

He was MADE IMMORTAL BY LORD VITIATE..

BOW DOWN TO SCOURGE YOU MAGGOTS YOU ARE BENEATH HIM!
It is better to be feared than loved. Love is like a chain of obligation, and because man is sadly wicked it is broken at every opportunity to serve self interest. However fear is maintained by the dread of punishment which never abandons you.
Darth Venger Prophecy of the 5

DarkestDaemon
01.24.2012 , 01:11 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Zantul View Post
You have ANY idea who Lord Scourge is do you??

He was MADE IMMORTAL BY LORD VITIATE..

BOW DOWN TO SCOURGE YOU MAGGOTS YOU ARE BENEATH HIM!
Something tells me the Emperor will have made our Warrior immortal as well. Doesn't do to have a Wrath that can be killed.