Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Black Talon Companion Affection Guide: Vette

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sith Warrior > Marauder
Black Talon Companion Affection Guide: Vette

Avengelyne
01.23.2012 , 11:08 AM | #1
Ok so the premise of this post and what sparked the idea for it came from a friend playing a Marauder who was interested in the Romance option for Malavi Quinn. However in order for them to gain affection with Quinn, they dropped Vette as soon as Quinn was available to play. Later they realised that companions affection had an impact on Crew Skills & so decided to try leveling up Vette's Affection later on.

I noticed in my 1st run of Black Talon that my Random conversation choices were generating much Affection gain for Vette (noticed mostly because I appeared to get none with Khem on my Sorcerer). So I decided to put the ESC button to good use and play through BT with the specific intention of Maximising the amount of Affection I could gain with Vette in a Single run.

LIGHTSIDE Guide Important* I did this as a Lightsided Warrior.
Many choices should still work if your trying this as a Darkside Warrior it but you'll likely lose large amounts of affection when it comes to making your Darkside choices. You should still have a large affection gain overall @ some 300+ points per run.

Note #1: You can do this at any level over 10, in a Group or Solo. Although to eliminate Affection loss by losing Group rolls I suggest you come back at a higher level and Solo the Flashpoint. Also note Killing the captain gives you different conversations options so be careful, especially if you are in groups.

Note #2: Breakdown: With a total of 9 interactive Conversations the result's are broken do into separate piece's - Conversation Number should be obvious, Next will be who your character interacts with, '3 Parts' '2 Parts' '5 Parts' etc means how many times your character gets to interact within the conversation, then Options 123Random and this is the selection you choose.

Here are my Results:

Conversation #1: Intro - Lieutenant Sylas, 3 Parts. Pick Options - 3, 3, Random.
Conversation #2: NR-02 - Grand Moff Kilran, 4 Parts. Pick Options - 3, 3, Random, Random.
Conversation #3: Command Deck Entry Guard, 2 Parts. Pick Options - 2, 3.
Conversation #4: Captain Orzik, 5 Parts. Pick Options - 3, 2, 2 (Choose not to kill him), 2, 3, 1.
Conversation #5: NR-02 - Captain Orzik - Satele Shan, 7 Parts. Pick Options - 2, 3, 2, 2, 3, 2, 1.
Conversation #6: Ensign Brukkara - NR-02 (Brentaal Star Checkpoint), 2 Parts. Pick Options - 3, 3.
Conversation #7: Padawan Yadira Ban, 2 Parts. Pick Options - 2, 2.
Conversation #8: The General, 4 Parts. Pick Options - Random, Random, Random, Choose NOT to kill him.
Conversation #9: Captain Orzik Holo, 1 Part. Pick Option - Random.
Conversation #10: NR-02 - Captain Orzik - Grand Moff Kilran, 4 Parts. Pick Options - Random, 2, 3, Random.

Total Affection Gained: 455 - Beware: Making Random choices can cause you to lose affection if your companion doesnt like them - while mouthing off to the General the random choices lost me 3 affection - its not much but the idea is to maximize..

Note #3: This did not work for me with Malavi Quinn - I got Zero affection upto the end of conversation 4 @ which point I Bailed. I will try with Other companions as i get them.
It maybe because the instance is too low level and the Companion isnt influenced decisions you make there (Vette being a starter companion might be why she generates so much) and as such Higher level companions may require higher level instances.

You can 'Buy' affection with Gifts which are expensive to buy in the bulk thats required as well as do dailies. If your not crafting or specifically interested in crafting while you level you could always get companion gifts via Crew skill missions.

1 Option could be to power through Vettes affection then continue playing the storyline with Quinn till he's maxed but there is limited story between Him & your next companion who'll also need affection and so on.

Hope this helps someone. It helped me. Im lvl27 & Vette's Affection is a little over halfway to max.

Feel Free to Copy this guide or Parts of this guide for yours or others websites but please give Credit to me & Link Back to the thread. Thank You.
Someone needs to take away your keyboard until you're better able to read the explicit meaning in sentences without implying whatever you want in order to be contrary.

el_pinko_grande
01.23.2012 , 11:16 AM | #2
My experience is that companions only gain affection for content that is supposed to occur after you acquire them. So for example, if you took skipped the non-class quests on Dromund Kass and then went back and did them with Quinn, you wouldn't gain any conversation affection. The handful of times I've taken one of our guild's lowbies through BT, I've made sure to have Vette out with me, because nothing I said ever resulted in a change with my other companions. To be fair, I only tried Jaesa and Quinn, so I can't rule out the possibility that it works with someone else.

AcaciaDragon
01.23.2012 , 11:16 AM | #3
Affection does very little in this game. I can send one companion out on a mission with no affection and it takes 36 min at max level, same mission, different companion, full affection, 31 min. Your better off just doing companion gift missions at lvl 50, Grade 6(provided you got a mission crew skill which all crafting proffesions require i believe). Your bound to get so many random ones that some only Vette will like(Underworld Trading). I have nearly maxed out Vette by simply running companion gift missions over and over again. Jaesa, Quinn, and Pierce are maxed and Broomark is almost there as well.

Avengelyne
01.23.2012 , 02:07 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by AcaciaDragon View Post
Affection does very little in this game. I can send one companion out on a mission with no affection and it takes 36 min at max level, same mission, different companion, full affection, 31 min. Your better off just doing companion gift missions at lvl 50, Grade 6(provided you got a mission crew skill which all crafting proffesions require i believe). Your bound to get so many random ones that some only Vette will like(Underworld Trading). I have nearly maxed out Vette by simply running companion gift missions over and over again. Jaesa, Quinn, and Pierce are maxed and Broomark is almost there as well.
Thats still 4 minutes off the time though - which is alot, over time, but fair enough that affection does little to benefit you overall.

Should you still choose to level thier affections I would still put money on my way with Vette being faster & more economical even if Affection bonuses are minimal.
I would have to enquire as to what amount of Affection you gain from a lvl 6 Gift & how long it takes for the mission aswell as how many mission attempts you make to get a Gift they like.

@ lvl 27 Im gaining 455 Affection with Vette in about 15/20 minutes. At higher levels with more abilites (AoE for example should Marauders get any) it would take less time, maybe 10 minutes. Assuming you've not been dick with regular questing you should easily have 3k Affection with Vette by lvl 25 - gainng the other 7k is about 3hours of effort & 1 less Companion to worry about.

On a personal note I would take the time to level Affection to max and the same with all other companions because im that kind of player - I want All Pets, Mounts, Acheivements - a Completionist and it's totally fine if you dont play that way but if you do this could help.
Someone needs to take away your keyboard until you're better able to read the explicit meaning in sentences without implying whatever you want in order to be contrary.

ayrxsolell
01.23.2012 , 02:17 PM | #5
Yea, I noticed how only Vette will gain/lose affection points in Black Talon for us warriors. I tried taking Quinn through there but never got anything out of him so I just bailed. I come out with 300 affection points every time when I choose to go with dark point choices (and that's from picking the right conversation options every time). Haven't tried the light options yet, but I probably will later on when I seriously begin to try and down rank to Dark III.

Thanks for the guide. I was wondering what the max points for affection were if I went light side.

AcaciaDragon
01.23.2012 , 02:25 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Avengelyne View Post
Thats still 4 minutes off the time though - which is alot, over time, but fair enough that affection does little to benefit you overall.

Should you still choose to level thier affections I would still put money on my way with Vette being faster & more economical even if Affection bonuses are minimal.
I would have to enquire as to what amount of Affection you gain from a lvl 6 Gift & how long it takes for the mission aswell as how many mission attempts you make to get a Gift they like.

@ lvl 27 Im gaining 455 Affection with Vette in about 15/20 minutes. At higher levels with more abilites (AoE for example should Marauders get any) it would take less time, maybe 10 minutes. Assuming you've not been dick with regular questing you should easily have 3k Affection with Vette by lvl 25 - gainng the other 7k is about 3hours of effort & 1 less Companion to worry about.

On a personal note I would take the time to level Affection to max and the same with all other companions because im that kind of player - I want All Pets, Mounts, Acheivements - a Completionist and it's totally fine if you dont play that way but if you do this could help.
Actually the reason they rank it by grade is that only certain ranks will get you so much affection. I think i read somewhere like rank 1 or 2 gifts will give you affection up to 2000/10000 affection, after that it doesnt do anything.

Izriul
01.23.2012 , 05:11 PM | #7
A few of these were wrong for me, I'm not sure if it's because I'm dark and it effected answers later on on a different person, but I don't think so. I didn't record them though, I do remember 3..I think, that were wrong, perhaps more (NOT on the ones where I chose a kill). For example, I remember on the very last one I started with 3 rather than random. Then the next option was wrong of yours. Overall though, nice guide. Haven't done any group stuff so never though about going there solo, was quite a fun place.

Avengelyne
01.24.2012 , 10:05 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Izriul View Post
A few of these were wrong for me, I'm not sure if it's because I'm dark and it effected answers later on on a different person, but I don't think so. I didn't record them though, I do remember 3..I think, that were wrong, perhaps more (NOT on the ones where I chose a kill). For example, I remember on the very last one I started with 3 rather than random. Then the next option was wrong of yours. Overall though, nice guide. Haven't done any group stuff so never though about going there solo, was quite a fun place.
Hmm thats Odd as I've ran it several times both before & after posting my results and I still get the same 455 affection. My warrior is Lightsided though and I didnt kill the Captain or the General and I never made a mean response.
I have no idea where you went wrong but for example when you 1st meet the Captain and order NR-02 to get medical attention for the wounded that conversation ends in the Captain giving you a chest of goodies - If you killed the captain not only do you lose affections for the choice but you lose 3 options from the end of the conversation as you end up talking to Lieutenant Sylas instead.
I can only assume its because your Darksided and made different choices or you chose options from the wrong script at the wrong time but if you go again let me know how it goes and what choices were wrong for you.

EasymodeX
01.24.2012 , 10:18 AM | #9
This thread is relevant to my interests.

Avengelyne
01.29.2012 , 04:32 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by EasymodeX View Post
This thread is relevant to my interests.

Good to know its useful for someone :P