Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Bioware - Can you put in a loot priority button for companions?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Bioware - Can you put in a loot priority button for companions?

Raxwars
12.14.2011 , 05:41 AM | #21
don't forget that SWTOR doesn't have dungeon finder (thank god), and you can get blacklisted by the server, and without x-realm crap, you can actually may never enter a party/raid again.

Scrobes
12.14.2011 , 06:59 AM | #22
Does no one use the little "X" on the loot window, thereby "passing" on the item?

If it's something I can't use, I just click the X. I won't even greed on it. From my perspective, I won't even greed or need for my companion. Up until yesterday and reading these threads today it just never occured to me to roll for my companion. It seems very odd to do that. I don't really care what my companion has equipped generally, and will just let them use random loot I find while xping, or other handmedowns and crafted bits.

The issue of claiming loot for companions is only going to get worse imo. :\ Yesterday, I was doing BT flashpoint, and an orange pistol dropped. As a Mercenary, I rolled Need. I was with 2 Sith, one a warrior, one an inquisitor. The warrior needed on the pistol too after a long pause. The inquisitor (very grateful for him) asked why they needed on the pistol they can't even use. The warrior's reply "mistake". Just that, one word. I asked if they could possibly trade it to me. And then they replied pretty quickly, saying they had traded it to their companion. :\ First person on my ignore list. They were using Vette as our 4th member, so she did contribute - but this was only because earlier on the 4th PC member dropped or got booted. We never really worked out why and the party leader (the same warrior) never said. But in the fight where the pistol dropped (our 2nd attempt) I was working quite hard to keep both the Sith alive with my meagre healing ability. That padawan is certainly pretty tough.

Anyway, I think it's going to be our responsibility to iron out any loot issues before you even step one foot into a flashpoint, etc. Everyone should have no confusion about it before you enter, or as I said, it's going to get quite bad. Lesson learnt for me, I'll definitely make sure to ask next time before we begin.

Esproc
12.14.2011 , 08:15 AM | #23
I have stated this before and will again.
A "live" person Needs an item that they can equip and that is an upgrade.

A Companion can come next, after the players.
The person wanting the item for a Companion should state so, theirs if the Companion is the only one out, otherwise any who can use for the Companions can roll.

Otherwise, if neither the Player nor their Companions, then Greed or Pass.
In this Age of Information, Ignorance is a Choice!

Scrobes
12.14.2011 , 08:51 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Esproc View Post
I have stated this before and will again.
A "live" person Needs an item that they can equip and that is an upgrade.

A Companion can come next, after the players.
The person wanting the item for a Companion should state so, theirs if the Companion is the only one out, otherwise any who can use for the Companions can roll.

Otherwise, if neither the Player nor their Companions, then Greed or Pass.
Yes, all quite sensible. But you have to understand this - not everyone is going to think like you. Some people wouldn't even think to ask before doing it. You speak sense, but some people are oblivious to it.

Mithros
12.14.2011 , 09:08 AM | #25
I posted this in a thread where the subject was brought up:

Quote: Originally Posted by Me
Companion need would just be a different way for people to abuse the system.

At the very best it is useless, so why would it help?

My trooper wears heavy armor. My trooper's companion wears heavy armor. Your smuggler and their consular wear medium and light armor, but your companions both wear heavy.

What is fixed here?

If they lock out the need button so that only people who's character can wear the gear can press need, then I can press need and you guys can't. Whether I use the gear for my character or my companion, I am the one that gets it if I want it.

If they do not lock the button out, then what good does it do? The trooper could pass on it, the smuggler could choose companion need, and the consular could decide to roll need and that's that.

Useless.

Easy to say they should add it, but no one has presented a system wherein such a button would actually do anything.

And remember, there will be times where there will be no active companion, so you can not tie it to any such animal.

Whatever else you figure out, eventually you come to a point where everyone has 6 companions and companion need just becomes the new greed, and the same people that will roll need for a companion now will still roll need then, too, whenever possible.
If someone can get beyond the idea and start demonstrating how this actually helps then it is worth listening to.

No one has been able to do that, though.

They act as if the existence of the button will somehow transform Jawas that need for everything into caring group members that want the best for everyone.
Beta Squadron 157

As long as we remember, it's never really gone.

Hedgremlin
12.14.2011 , 11:44 AM | #26
I'm not entirely clear on what the issue is. Our companions are our "pets", but they do allow us to tackle solo content which we wouldn't normally be able to. Needing on something for our "pet" actually improves our character, as an extension. The only thing I think should be changed, is to make all need rolls BOP, or only vendor for 1 credit as someone else suggested, so that anyone who NEEDS has little other incentive to NEED. Greed allows the sale, trade or auction of the item.

Having played WOW for a number of years Ive come to the conclusion that the only way you are not going to have loot drama is to ensure that only those that can use the loot can roll need on the loot, and even that doesn't remove all drama.

I say just play the game, and if someone wins something that you could have used, meh, an upgrade is right around the corner. Playing the game does not ENTITLE you to loot, and unless you agree on the loot rules in advance, like we used to do in WOW, that's no reason to blacklist someone. This blacklist just seems rather silly and childish to me, and I'm sorry if that offends.

Endgame would be a different story, but even there, you should be have loot rules explained well in advance. If someone jawas there they risk not being invited back to another chance at the endgame, which is a risk they will have to take.

Ordryth
12.14.2011 , 12:16 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Hedgremlin View Post
I'm not entirely clear on what the issue is. Our companions are our "pets", but they do allow us to tackle solo content which we wouldn't normally be able to. Needing on something for our "pet" actually improves our character, as an extension. The only thing I think should be changed, is to make all need rolls BOP, or only vendor for 1 credit as someone else suggested, so that anyone who NEEDS has little other incentive to NEED. Greed allows the sale, trade or auction of the item.

Having played WOW for a number of years Ive come to the conclusion that the only way you are not going to have loot drama is to ensure that only those that can use the loot can roll need on the loot, and even that doesn't remove all drama.

I say just play the game, and if someone wins something that you could have used, meh, an upgrade is right around the corner. Playing the game does not ENTITLE you to loot, and unless you agree on the loot rules in advance, like we used to do in WOW, that's no reason to blacklist someone. This blacklist just seems rather silly and childish to me, and I'm sorry if that offends.

Endgame would be a different story, but even there, you should be have loot rules explained well in advance. If someone jawas there they risk not being invited back to another chance at the endgame, which is a risk they will have to take.
so, by making it BOP, people who think their companion are an extension of themselves will need.. if ALL the other group members think otherwise, the item can't be traded anymore and thus cannot go to someone who actually needs it...

there is only 1 solution to this:

discuss it with each group you join, and when someone ninja's you report them in the chat.
Even in WoW you could get banned for ninja rolling, but apparantly nobody knew this XD

Mithros
12.14.2011 , 01:13 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Hedgremlin View Post
If they aren't BoP it doesn't matter what they vendor for.

People will need them to sell them on the GTN and make their money that way.

In any event, some people didn't get enough attention as a child and will need just to spite other players, so making them BoP and vendor for 1 credit won't help if you are unfortunate enough to encounter one o fthose people.
Additionally, items can be disassembled for parts. Maybe I only get one piece of desh out of something... The desh is still worth more than 1 credit.

Finally, making everything BoP will just increase the cries from people that make legitimate mistakes.
Most of the blues in flashpoints are BoP now, and a lot of people have posted their disagreement with that. Sure, some are only wanting a system that would allow them to farm flashpoints and sell the gear to make $$$, but sometimes people will hit a wrong button, or think that something was not what it really was.

I think that talking as a group, setting up the ground rules that work for you in advance, and then following through is the way to go.

Even if they decide on a system that you do not like, you can walk before you waste time getting started.

But if you are not willing to back-up your feelings with action, it will not matter. If you are the leader and someone breaks the rules, then maybe give them one warning, but you have to be prepared to kick them.
If you are not the leader and the smuggler or consular are needing on heavy armor that you want for an upgrade to your trooper and it was supposed to be character first, then you have to be ready to quit and make the rest of the group deal with your absence.

Yes, it will inconvenience you, and it may not prevent the rest from completing what they had started, but if you just sit there and take it, then that is entirely on you, and the next time it happens, and the next time after that, you can know that as long as you are willing to take it, there will be some people happy to give it to you.
Beta Squadron 157

As long as we remember, it's never really gone.

zeetoo
12.14.2011 , 02:01 PM | #29
I think a Companion Need button is a great solution. It makes life easy for everyone and you no longer need to set rules before a run. You will always have the ninjas but with a new Need option like this you will have less accidents.

Ikkeditnavn
12.14.2011 , 03:39 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by zeetoo View Post
I think a Companion Need button is a great solution. It makes life easy for everyone and you no longer need to set rules before a run. You will always have the ninjas but with a new Need option like this you will have less accidents.
Greed is already the option for companions. Once we are at 50 our companions cover all possible loot versions... So the Need for Companion is simply the new Greed and Greed is pointless. Thus Need for Companion is pointless for the start. It changes nothing worth speaking of.