Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Failure to engage player through story

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Failure to engage player through story

Zoroth
12.14.2011 , 03:26 PM | #11
So let me get this straight:

You have played this game for maybe 1-2 days and suddenly you presume to know everything about the story? Of course there's gonna be some parts that are less immersive and compelling than others.

Furthermore, don't flatter yourself. Just because YOU didn't like so and so parts of the story, doesn't automatically mean that nobody else will. People see things differently.

I respect your opinion and I will try to see if there's some merit to it, once I'm in the game as well. But please don't put words into my mouth or anyone elses for that matter. You opinion is your opinion, and of course it's valid. But not everyone elses.
May the force be without you.

Kaspien
12.14.2011 , 03:32 PM | #12
I never got as high a level on my trooper at the thanks giving beta weekends, however I did with my smuggler and beyond a good few levels too and I have to say it was really enjoyable up to and including my class quests to get the ship.

Maybe it's the Trooper I don't know but for me it was pretty cool but was hard trying not to do the side quests at the same time cos I just wanted to experience my own ship.

Needless to say the first thing I did was go to Tatooine and it looks mighty impressive.
Jumble Jimbo says YES

FlashbackJon
12.14.2011 , 03:32 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Smoda View Post
It is a reasonable quest to go on but you are still doing the typical MMO thing the entire time. I don't know what I was expecting but I might have set the bar too high. Our class quests are kill and gather quests like everything else. I don't even know what I would suggest as an alternative, I left that up to the game developers.
I think maybe you're getting out of it what you put into it. I mean, if your problem with the story seems to be that missions can all be grouped into "kill", "collect", or "deliver" then I think you'll find that accurately describes every mission in every game you've ever played (even ones that are considered paragons of storytelling).

Engagement is a very personal thing, so maybe the correct complaint is just that you're not engaged by this particular story, so let's narrow that down. Maybe you just find it difficult to empathize with any of the characters, or you simply find them unlikable? Are you concerned maybe that your choices aren't making a difference to the story? Is it that the nature of the genre (being an MMO) means that you can't fail, and that you'll be delivered to the end of the story one way or another, no matter how much you invest into the characters?

Those are all valid, but I figure we should zero in on it.
Adoko Kooba, Sith Marauder
Republic Mercy Corps | Imperial Mercenary Corps

Explorer 80, Socializer 80, Achiever 33, Killer 7

Smoda
12.14.2011 , 03:35 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Zoroth View Post
So let me get this straight:

You have played this game for maybe 1-2 days and suddenly you presume to know everything about the story? Of course there's gonna be some parts that are less immersive and compelling than others.

Furthermore, don't flatter yourself. Just because YOU didn't like so and so parts of the story, doesn't automatically mean that nobody else will. People see things differently.

I respect your opinion and I will try to see if there's some merit to it, once I'm in the game as well. But please don't put words into my mouth or anyone elses for that matter. You opinion is your opinion, and of course it's valid. But not everyone elses.
So by your logic we should not have fun with the story until a predetermined amount of play time? That does not make sense. And in case you did not notice, I did ask what others thought about the stories, because my opinion is not the only one. Get your own story straight.

CptBrit
12.14.2011 , 03:36 PM | #15
I liked the Sith Warriors starting Area... with the questioning and the backstabbing friends or not...

Can't comment on the Trooper but I really enjoyed the 3 charactors I played (IA, SW, JK).

At least you can always make an alt and know that it won't be all the same

Smoda
12.14.2011 , 03:36 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by FlashbackJon View Post
I think maybe you're getting out of it what you put into it. I mean, if your problem with the story seems to be that missions can all be grouped into "kill", "collect", or "deliver" then I think you'll find that accurately describes every mission in every game you've ever played (even ones that are considered paragons of storytelling).

Engagement is a very personal thing, so maybe the correct complaint is just that you're not engaged by this particular story, so let's narrow that down. Maybe you just find it difficult to empathize with any of the characters, or you simply find them unlikable? Are you concerned maybe that your choices aren't making a difference to the story? Is it that the nature of the genre (being an MMO) means that you can't fail, and that you'll be delivered to the end of the story one way or another, no matter how much you invest into the characters?

Those are all valid, but I figure we should zero in on it.
I think what you are saying is more accurate. I just do not like the trooper story so I am probably not making any attempt to get into it at this point. I was hoping for someone to maybe say "Hey I didn't like it much either, but check this one out". At least it seems like I am the minority and the story thing is not as bad as I thought.

FlashbackJon
12.14.2011 , 03:40 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Smoda View Post
"Hey I didn't like it much either, but check this one out".
If you're shopping for a new one, the general consensus from the beta seemed to be that Imperial Agent was by far the best.
Adoko Kooba, Sith Marauder
Republic Mercy Corps | Imperial Mercenary Corps

Explorer 80, Socializer 80, Achiever 33, Killer 7

Pemmin
12.14.2011 , 03:42 PM | #18
I think the Trooper story is one of those loved it or hated it things. BW was going for the whole military fanfare, and "gear in the machine" style story with the class. Its predictable in the sense that they showed us
Spoiler
followed by story elements showing the
Spoiler
that ultimately led to there decision. OF all the classes, trooper is probably the one you'll have to engross yourself in the most to get the maximum enjoyment out of story.

Smoda
12.14.2011 , 03:44 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by FlashbackJon View Post
If you're shopping for a new one, the general consensus from the beta seemed to be that Imperial Agent was by far the best.
I will take that into consideration, thanks.

cunctatorg
12.14.2011 , 03:49 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Pemmin View Post
I think the Trooper story is one of those loved it or hated it things. BW was going for the whole military fanfare, and "gear in the machine" style story with the class. Its predictable in the sense that they showed us
Spoiler
followed by story elements showing the
Spoiler
that ultimately led to there decision. OF all the classes, trooper is probably the one you'll have to engross yourself in the most to get the maximum enjoyment out of story.
If this approach is reliable and accurate -and I have no reasons to doubt it- then the TR storyline should be more than an engaging story...

Smoda, what is your opinion about Pemmin's very remark?