Questions about rare resources

Lauraliane

I have a question about the gathering/missions and some ressources.

For example Armortech uses Terenthium which is an Underworld metal, obtained through Underworld Trading.

Does that mean that if I don't get Underworld Trading I have NO other way to get that metal? And thus will never be able to do the associated recipes?

Basically there is no Terenthium node that you can harvest with Scavenging? Or enemies that drops it or whatever?

It is either get Underworld Trading or Buy it at the GTN?

A bit of a pain to be honest.

So if I want to be a full pledged Armortech for example I have no choice but to get both Scavenging and Underworld Trading.

Damn...

It's the same way for other crafts, as well.

This is why you can have 3 crew skills.

A bit of a pain to be honest.

So if I want to be a full pledged Armortech for example I have no choice but to get both Scavenging and Underworld Trading.

Damn...

One of the key pieces to the crafting system design is that a single character cannot be 100% self-sufficient for their craft skill. They can get >75% of the way there, but they will have to leave one skill on the table. Either it will be through buying materials (common or rare), or having to buy rare schematics.

This is actually somewhat beneficial to the economy since it will help produce demand for trade between players. Especially since you can't deck out a character with all craft skills like you can in a game like WoW (someone who goes JC/BS has to buy all their mats for example) which has a similar effect of helping to produce demand.

One of the key pieces to the crafting system design is that a single character cannot be 100% self-sufficient for their craft skill. They can get >75% of the way there, but they will have to leave one skill on the table. Either it will be through buying materials (common or rare), or having to buy rare schematics.

This is actually somewhat beneficial to the economy since it will help produce demand for trade between players. Especially since you can't deck out a character with all craft skills like you can in a game like WoW (someone who goes JC/BS has to buy all their mats for example) which has a similar effect of helping to produce demand.

Or like the other fella said, alts.

You can be totally self sufficient...

or am I misunderstanding you here?

Synthweaving + Archaeology + Underworld Trading gives you everything you need.

Unless of course you want all of the rare schematics.

Edited by Thundergulch

I also find it a bit limiting, as Underworld trading doesn't always have missions that are pertinent to finding the right materials. I do think, though, that this will be eaiser once we have a few crew members to direct.

Also, I just got my first purple crafting recipe. Got it within a couple RE's too. Can't remember the right term for SW. So now I am all about farming for that material.

So far the GTN is pretty empty. So no way to buy anything from it, and hard enough to search on so far. :-(

That said I am having a GREAT time and know the system will only improve from here. Good stuff.