Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Best And Worst Class Story?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Best And Worst Class Story?

Qoojo's Avatar


Qoojo
01.23.2012 , 12:00 PM | #31
This is my preference on Republic side: Trooper, Smuggler, Knight, Consul, and the last 3 really aren't that great. They should have called the smuggler, Republic Mercenary, then I wouldn't have any problems.

Matter fact, with the smuggler after Chap 1

Spoiler


This post is Wookie approved and
IEEE 9000 Ewok tested

lichtdwarf's Avatar


lichtdwarf
01.23.2012 , 12:00 PM | #32
i only played bounty hunter and i like it so far. but from i what i've seen from the other i think BH stands out because it is more a character story. you are not having world changing choices. you are more having connections with your crew and how you react on actions from other people. i really like that.
your emotions cloud your judgement. so calm down before you say something!!

KretanMelithorn's Avatar


KretanMelithorn
01.23.2012 , 12:00 PM | #33
I really enjoyed the first chapter of the Smuggler story.

Spoiler


The crew is somewhat lackluster. Corso is alright. Risha is kinda cool, but I wish they had expanded on what makes her gain and lose affection a bit more. I find it amusing that the wookie nearly wets himself with negative affection anytime you mention wanting to fight or kill a Sith.

Bluejayoo's Avatar


Bluejayoo
01.23.2012 , 12:03 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Idunhavaname View Post
It's cliche but it does turn you into the top 10 most powerful jedi of all time.
.
The battle itself sucks and the dialog before the battle is forgettable. Not to mention the nasty surprise you get just before that battle where they take any choice out of your hands (make sure you research the last mission before you go on it, or you will be sorry).

Up to that point its a string of almost identical quests with all the subtlety of a mac truck. By the time I got to Corelia I just wanted the thing to be over, and Corelia is a never ending series of grinding fetch quests.

There are no interesting choices. At no point do you feel like anything you are doing has any consequence to the progression of the plot. The entire story is completely linear and predictable.

At one point in the story you actually have a forced failure. This is almost a sin in game story line as far as I am concerned. And the story part of the forced failure is the most awkward moment in the entire line. I suppose if you were playing dark sided that part might have some meaning, but if you are light sided the entire sequence is just kind of glossed over.
. - We will never forget.

Idunhavaname's Avatar


Idunhavaname
01.23.2012 , 12:05 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Bluejayoo View Post
The battle itself sucks and the dialog before the battle is forgettable. Not to mention the nasty surprise you get just before that battle where they take any choice out of your hands (make sure you research the last mission before you go on it, or you will be sorry).

Up to that point its a string of almost identical quests with all the subtlety of a mac truck. By the time I got to Corelia I just wanted the thing to be over, and Corelia is a never ending series of grinding fetch quests.

There are no interesting choices. At no point do you feel like anything you are doing has any consequence to the progression of the plot. The entire story is completely linear and predictable.

At one point in the story you actually have a forced failure. This is almost a sin in game story line as far as I am concerned. And the story part of the forced failure is the most awkward moment in the entire line. I suppose if you were playing dark sided that part might have some meaning, but if you are light sided the entire sequence is just kind of glossed over.
Yeah which is why I said it's cliched just like Sith dark. It does put you in the top 10 list of most powerful jedi though unlike any other class.
.

RIP orange pixel

DThoran's Avatar


DThoran
01.23.2012 , 12:05 PM | #36
I have done the Inquisitor up to level 40, and I have really liked the story so far. I started a BH after my legacy kicked in just to see what it was like, and ended up liking the story a lot better so far. (currently 25) I have heard from many that the IA story is very good as well.

CapitaFK's Avatar


CapitaFK
01.23.2012 , 12:07 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by KretanMelithorn View Post
I find it amusing that the wookie nearly wets himself with negative affection anytime you mention wanting to fight or kill a Sith.
This is what I absolutely HATED with the Smuggler story. The Jedi and Sith characters you'd run across were extremely patronizing and condescending. I'd be running around taking out entire armies and a single Jedi would come in and be like, "You shouldn't be here. You're only a Smuggler. You'll get hurt. I'm a Jedi and clearly superior"

My Bounty Hunter, on the other hand... everyone, including some Sith, treated him like a walking battalion. It's nice to get a bit of respect.

Also another weird thing. Satele is also very patronizing to Republic players, while Malgus is a lot more respectful of my accomplishments. Made me like doing errands for Malgus a lot more than I did for Satele, even though I was Light aligned. Lol.

Bluejayoo's Avatar


Bluejayoo
01.23.2012 , 12:08 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by Idunhavaname View Post
Yeah which is why I said it's cliched just like Sith dark. It does put you in the top 10 list of most powerful jedi though unlike any other class.
Which is my biggest problem with the story. It's a 50 hour long ego stroking about how gifted and powerful you are. Yawn inducing levels of boring.
. - We will never forget.

Orduno's Avatar


Orduno
01.23.2012 , 12:10 PM | #39
I haven't played through all the class quests yet, but I've played through a couple, and I duo with my roommate so I've seen a couple more through her characters, and I'd rate them from best (top) to worst (bottom):

Imperial Agent - One of the things that really stands out for this is that there's a LOT of leeway on how you present your character in the situation. Are you a reckless, conniving backstabber? A professional who is 100% loyal to the ideal of the Empire? A monster for the sake of others? Someone who sees the Empire as something better than it is? The tension between your agency and the Sith is also very interesting, especially for me since I enjoyed flipping the bird to the full-of-themselves Sith whenever I had the chance.

Jedi Consular - While not as flexible, story-wise, as the IA story, it was at nearly as intriguing. I like the idea of a more diplomatic Jedi, which I played through as best as I could. There were a lot of "saber SMASH" options through the story, but the most interesting ones seemed to come from where you had the chance to talk your way through things. It also was a great deal of fun being able to root out things better left unlearned (in the eyes of some), and dealing with that.

Sith Sorcerer - Pretty well neck and neck with Consular, maybe a bit below simply because there were way too many times your character or your superiors were forced to do/say ridiculously stupid things to keep the ball rolling. The political intrigue of the Sith played out pretty well here, without devolving into Sunday Cartoon Goatee Villain Time.

Smuggler - Only beneath the two above because the poor Smuggler was made to look like an idiot way too often. The story arc overall was interesting and you get fair chances to play through the three basic types I think everyone wanted (Serenity captain wannabe, credits-are-all-I-love freelancer, or cruel criminal). But seriously, how many times did a cutscene go right to "walk into area catiously and THEN OH GOD IT'S A TRAP! GRENADE, HIT THE DECK!" Really. It's like all the grenades in the known galaxy have a singular vendetta against you.

Trooper - This low because I agree with a previous poster: The first chapter was very good, and then it slowly dwindled in the sense it just got less and less interesting. At least one of your companions (I think everyone who has played it knows who I mean) makes zero sense as he's not even the "good soldier but a bit of a loose cannon" type. He's more the "why does anyone think he'll follow orders ever, and why is he actually following my orders" type.

Jedi Knight - Really excellent at making the Jedi Order overall look wildly incompetent. I had hoped it got better over time but nope. The times your character actually feels like a galaxy-class hero and not a confused, bumbling day-one hire are pretty rare.

Sinnyil's Avatar


Sinnyil
01.23.2012 , 12:11 PM | #40
I really enjoyed the consular story, it was slow to start but really ramped up at the end.