[Tutorial] How to get the Sidewinder x4 / x6 keyboard macros to work

Kyris_Xiandrii

If you are having problems with the Sidewinder x4 or x6 keyboards not being able to use macros in SWTOR, then you can try these steps:

Step 1: Navigate to where you installed SWToR -- i.e D:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars-The Old Republic

Step 2: Now right-click on "Launcher.exe", and select 'Properties'

Step 3: Click on the 'Compatibility' tab, and tick the box that says "Run this program as an administrator". Click on 'OK'.

Step 4: Open the task manager (press CTRL+ALT+DELETE and click task manager). On the 'Processes' tab, find the process called "itype.exe", right-click on it, and 'end process'.

Step 5: Now navigate to where you installed the Microsoft IntelliType software -- i.e C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro

Step 6: Right-click on "itype.exe", select 'Properties' -> 'Compatibility' -> 'Run as administrator' (same thing you did before). Click 'OK'.

Step 7: Double-click on "itype.exe" to start the process back up again (or restart your PC)

Now your macros should work in-game! hurray!

sidewinder x4 x6 macros macro swtor doesn't doesnt not work working intellitype intellikeyboard microsoft

(^ words! so this post pops up on google search :D)

• 3 weeks later...

I've used this info to get the zoom key working in SW:ToR on my MS Natural 4000 keyboard using Intellitype software, but....flagging itype.exe to run as administrator prevents the program from starting up automatically on boot.

I have to double click and run it manually each time I start Windows. Anyone got a workaround for this?:confused:

msconfig has it checked to run at startup and the process is set to auto, but it won't work unless I run it manually.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I thought using macros with macro keyboards was against the TOS?

it is the other way around as i understand it, razer are selling their products with the SWTOR branding. The keyboard and Naga mouse comes with a 3rd party software that allow you to make macros. And Bioware dont have to make their own macro system

http://www.razerzone.com/swtor

And you even get a unique ingame colored crystal if you buy any of those products

Edited by Jerro

it is the other way around as i understand it, razer are selling their products with the SWTOR branding. The keyboard and Naga mouse comes with a 3rd party software that allow you to make macros. And Bioware dont have to make their own macro system

http://www.razerzone.com/swtor

And you even get a unique ingame colored crystal if you buy any of those products

Depends on the macro.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=485220&page=5

Quote: Originally Posted by Beruthien - Customer Service Representative

Greetings everyone,

When talking about anything macro related we would like to provide the following guidelines:

No automation

No delays or looped commands in macros

It is okay to bind a macro that performs abilities after each other as long as it still requires the user to press the button on the physical keyboard each time a new action is performed

These rules apply regardless of which peripheral you are using.

Hope this clears it up a bit, but if you have further questions regarding the topic please get back to us!

So:

You cannot make an anti-AFK macro

You cannot make an 'Oh Crap' button that fires off all your defensive CDs at once

You cannot make an auto-attack macro by adding in your free attack to every other attack so your free attack fires if the other attack is on cool down

You cannot add in Retaliation to every attack to make sure it goes off

You can make a sequence macro, as long as you have to hit the button each time (I almost did this with AHK, but never got it to work right, so I decided to become a better player)

Edited by Subatia

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update: The keyboard doesn't seem to run on start up anymore, I presume its because I set it to run as admin. Can't get it to work on task scheduler either cus I don't know which application I should start ( I can only start the keyboard from the desktop icon). Any ideas?

Thanks

• 6 months later...

Apologies for bumping an old thread but I figured some people would find the following info quite useful.

The easiest way to get your Microsoft keyboard working with SWTOR is:

1. Open the Task Scheduler
  2. Look for a task called Microsoft_MKC_Logon_Task_itype.exe
  3. Double click it, or right click and choose properties
  4. Check the box called 'Run with highest privileges' and press OK

The task will now run with admin rights on startup without any prompting or need to manually start it.

If you have a Microsoft mouse that doesn't work you can do the same with the task called Microsoft_MKC_Logon_Task_ipoint.exe

Tested on Windows Vista, 7 and 8 with no prompts and no need to change swtor to run with admin rights.

Hope this helps :)

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
Awesome fix. When I searched Google for "macros not working in game", this was quite literally the first result. Funny that, of all games this could describe, Google thinks SWTOR is the worst offender (at least for me).