Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Whats better Mercenary or Powertech?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Whats better Mercenary or Powertech?

WakkaFlakka
01.22.2012 , 12:49 AM | #1
I wanted to know which one is better for dps and pvp before i make my decision for which one to pick

Tennej
01.22.2012 , 12:54 AM | #2
Merctech.

or Powercenary
Proud member of the Decemberist Procrastinators.

I'll log on tomorrow...

cyberaptor
01.22.2012 , 01:10 AM | #3
I have both a lvl 50 Powertech and lvl 28 Merc, it basically boils down to what kind of playstyle do you want; up close and personal, or ranged?

Powertech is up close and personal, most of your attacks are instant with a 10m range. This is important as for PVP you want to be within 10m but outside of the 4m range of melee classes.
This class is more tactical in use and can be a tank or DPS.

Mercenary is almost all ranged >30m. You or more or less a mobile artillery platform. Most of your abilities are 1.5 sec cast times, so you are not as mobile as the Powertech and want to avoid enemies getting in close. This class is more strategic in use, can be a healer or DPS.

Both classes specced for DPS, damage output is very similar. Both easily can hit 200k dmg in a warzone.

Bottom line, what's your playstyle?
For the love of credits, the desire for glory, and the satisfaction of using high explosives, we are MERCENARY!

The Swiftfire <Mercenary>

TheJollyRogers
01.22.2012 , 01:36 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by cyberaptor View Post
I have both a lvl 50 Powertech and lvl 28 Merc, it basically boils down to what kind of playstyle do you want; up close and personal, or ranged?

Powertech is up close and personal, most of your attacks are instant with a 10m range. This is important as for PVP you want to be within 10m but outside of the 4m range of melee classes.
This class is more tactical in use and can be a tank or DPS.

Mercenary is almost all ranged >30m. You or more or less a mobile artillery platform. Most of your abilities are 1.5 sec cast times, so you are not as mobile as the Powertech and want to avoid enemies getting in close. This class is more strategic in use, can be a healer or DPS.

Both classes specced for DPS, damage output is very similar. Both easily can hit 200k dmg in a warzone.

Bottom line, what's your playstyle?
Pretty accurate. One small note, however: if you Pyrotech as a Mercenary, you are completely mobile and able to do all your damage on the run. It's definitely the highlight of the spec.
Battlemaster Cocytus - Level 50 Pyrotech Mercenary Bounty Hunter - Battle Buddies - Rakata Mind Prison (PvP)
Slaughterhouse - Level 25 Dirty Fighting Gunslinger - Trained Professionals - Warriors of the Shadow (PvP)

Prunetracy
01.22.2012 , 02:28 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by TheJollyRogers View Post
Pretty accurate. One small note, however: if you Pyrotech as a Mercenary, you are completely mobile and able to do all your damage on the run. It's definitely the highlight of the spec.
All? Pretty sure pyro mercs still use power shot and unload.

Maisen
01.22.2012 , 03:10 AM | #6
PVP wise, powertech >> merc because merc doesn't have so many tools to stay alive under melee attack (powertech can tank AND dps), so few and useless CC in many situation. If you have a group that keep you alive, merc can be devastating (arsenal one)

Katarrn
01.22.2012 , 06:26 AM | #7
Powertechs lack dps badly, unless they get into 10m range and have no heat level up due to an earlier fight.

Powertech dps in battlegrounds is laughable, while mercenaries are often in top 3 dps-wise.

The Powertech CAN be a highly resistant tank, but that's about it. Their good dps is limited to close combat and death from above.
Quote:
Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Bejita
01.22.2012 , 09:07 AM | #8
i dont think the above poster saw the screenshot of the 800k damage the powertech did

its all about pyrotech on power tech, it has it all, heavy ranged burst ranged dots and close range kiting with 2 stuns and a grapple

i always out dps the mercs because all they have is tracer missile, no reliable spamable dots and no real burst aside from lucky heatseeker crits

Jestunhi
01.22.2012 , 09:07 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Katarrn View Post
Powertechs lack dps badly, unless they get into 10m range and have no heat level up due to an earlier fight.

Powertech dps in battlegrounds is laughable, while mercenaries are often in top 3 dps-wise.

The Powertech CAN be a highly resistant tank, but that's about it. Their good dps is limited to close combat and death from above.
Utterly false.

Bad Powertechs with bad heat management play badly, that's not a fault of the class.

Good Powertechs can either be high DPS or medium DPS with improved survivability and mobility as well as just tanks.
Quote: Originally Posted by AlyxDinas View Post
Jestunhi's responses might be just about the the most asinine and pigheaded responses I've ever read on a forum.

Zuesy
01.22.2012 , 09:14 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Katarrn View Post

Hahah 3/10. Biggest load of utter rubish EU. Powertechs dish out some of the best damage in the game and do just as much if not a tiny bit less than mercs. Pt dps in battleground is laughable? (Their probably st specced in which case their not going to do loads of damage because their protecting their team) MY ARS. im lv 38 and come in the Top 2 damage wise basically everygame. Pt's can be a highly resistant tank and thats it? Again, im guessing youve only rolled a merc in which case you can't talk and are probably one of those people crying over the fact they went merc. Please, only post true and accurate things, i have a merc and a pt they are both great they are both fun. depends on your play style. Thanks
Cyborg, Powertech, Bounty hunter.