Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

DPS Meter needed! Skill>Gear no way to prove it now...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
DPS Meter needed! Skill>Gear no way to prove it now...

Trochy
01.21.2012 , 02:54 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Commodus View Post
What has being carried to do with just plain fun the way raiding is supposed to be?
making comments like yeah you were carried is just the elitist crap that spoils the fun for a lot of people that enjoy having a blast with their mates killing some bosses.
pre all the dps addon crap
we whiped we cursed and laughed and we tried again we all did our bits and killed the bosses and we had a great night.

Then the dpsmeters and other raiding related crap addons started showing up and gone were the days where it was just fun and raiding became a fulltime job as you had to be this spec you had to have this gear you had to do x amount of damage to be part of the raids. it was fun for a short period but when you see longtime friends leave due to the fact that they can't raid nomore coz they didn't have time to get the right gear or were just left out of raids coz they didn't end up in the top 5 dps ranking coz they spend most of their time supporting the other raiders with pots and shards and whatevers so they can succesfully do their stuff and not care about shards pots and such it just makes this dude a sad Panda

Yes I have raided hardcore yes I killed all the raid bosses in vanilla and the bosses that came with the first expansion but the fun was gone and it became a job I quit and never looked back I don't miss WOW one bit I just don't want to see SWTOR being ruined by addons that aren't needed and elitist wankers running around thinking the own this game.....
You really don't know what you're talking about - at all. DPS meters have been around since EQ in some way, shape, or form. They were one of the first mods in WoW. Why?

1) It wasn't as important in Vanilla Wow because there were very few hard enrages in raids like the ones you see in TOR. It was more about sustaining. Also, out of 30 dpsers in a 40 man raid, one not pulling his weight doesn't make as much a difference as one of four dpsers in an 8 man.

2) If you don't like challenging, progressive raid content that requires all members to optimize, than don't do it. If you don't like the requirements a guild sets to have you raid, then raid with a guild with more lax requirements (and see how well you do there).

3) Learn to use punctuation. You have like 2 periods and a question mark that whole post.

4) You say you killed all the raid bosses in vanilla? They were all progressive. There's no way you could beat AQ40 without a full T2 raid, and even in just T2 you probably wouldn't beat it, you'd just start to progress. Then there's no way you be able to beat the original Naxx without being geared through AQ. To raid those, you'd have to make the commitment to get the gear, so if your friends were leaving because they weren't geared enough to do it, it would have happened long before the time period you speak of.

And there's no way you'd be able to beat either of those raids without all the dps, healers, and tanks all maximizing their builds rotations and the likes. Those raids were SIGNIFICANTLY harder than future versions of wow. So to say you want to go back to the days when raiding was fun and easy and required no commitment. Well from what you said, you didn't experience it.

Nobody will get booted from a guild for having a significant lower dps (at least right away). Any guild worth it's salt will have all the dpsers relatively close to each other. If there are any outliers up top, the players will try to see what that person is doing differently to improve themselves. If someone is much lower, the guild will try to see what they are doing differently to make them so low. Is it gear? Is it spec? Rotation? Class? Other abilities being done (ie shields, interupts, buffs/debuffs, etc.)

It sounds to me like you don't want to take the time to improve yourself, and other members of the community have seen it and called you on it. Instead of complaining that x,y,z makes people elitist, why not focus on what you can do to improve yourself to get on the level?

jonnybigboy
01.21.2012 , 07:04 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Commodus View Post
What has being carried to do with just plain fun the way raiding is supposed to be?
making comments like yeah you were carried is just the elitist crap that spoils the fun for a lot of people that enjoy having a blast with their mates killing some bosses.
pre all the dps addon crap
we whiped we cursed and laughed and we tried again we all did our bits and killed the bosses and we had a great night.

Then the dpsmeters and other raiding related crap addons started showing up and gone were the days where it was just fun and raiding became a fulltime job as you had to be this spec you had to have this gear you had to do x amount of damage to be part of the raids. it was fun for a short period but when you see longtime friends leave due to the fact that they can't raid nomore coz they didn't have time to get the right gear or were just left out of raids coz they didn't end up in the top 5 dps ranking coz they spend most of their time supporting the other raiders with pots and shards and whatevers so they can succesfully do their stuff and not care about shards pots and such it just makes this dude a sad Panda

Yes I have raided hardcore yes I killed all the raid bosses in vanilla and the bosses that came with the first expansion but the fun was gone and it became a job I quit and never looked back I don't miss WOW one bit I just don't want to see SWTOR being ruined by addons that aren't needed and elitist wankers running around thinking the own this game.....
If you and your mates had fun without a way to measure performance, I think that's awesome. It's great you all were having fun. That's why you play, right?

But then why did you START using them? And how did it become a problem for you when you did?

I guess some of your mates decided they didn't like wiping after 15 minutes on a boss and decided to see why. I guess that reason was you?

I only raid with friends, myself. I do it because it's fun. The top guys do like to brag about their performance. They do it because they think it's fun. I think that's great. Our guild only concerned themselves with low DPS when it's VERY low .. as in low enough that it means everyone ELSE can't have fun because ONE guy doesn't hold up his end of the bargain.

Top DPS would have to be talked to, as well, if they failed mechanics .. ie, stood in the fire. I'd rather have a lower DPS guy that can handle switching targets to a mind trap (naming a random simple mechanic) and back to the boss than a LEET TOP DPS that can't handle squat.

Commodus
01.21.2012 , 07:04 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Trochy View Post
You really don't know what you're talking about - at all. DPS meters have been around since EQ in some way, shape, or form. They were one of the first mods in WoW. Why?

1) It wasn't as important in Vanilla Wow because there were very few hard enrages in raids like the ones you see in TOR. It was more about sustaining. Also, out of 30 dpsers in a 40 man raid, one not pulling his weight doesn't make as much a difference as one of four dpsers in an 8 man.

2) If you don't like challenging, progressive raid content that requires all members to optimize, than don't do it. If you don't like the requirements a guild sets to have you raid, then raid with a guild with more lax requirements (and see how well you do there).

3) Learn to use punctuation. You have like 2 periods and a question mark that whole post.

4) You say you killed all the raid bosses in vanilla? They were all progressive. There's no way you could beat AQ40 without a full T2 raid, and even in just T2 you probably wouldn't beat it, you'd just start to progress. Then there's no way you be able to beat the original Naxx without being geared through AQ. To raid those, you'd have to make the commitment to get the gear, so if your friends were leaving because they weren't geared enough to do it, it would have happened long before the time period you speak of.

And there's no way you'd be able to beat either of those raids without all the dps, healers, and tanks all maximizing their builds rotations and the likes. Those raids were SIGNIFICANTLY harder than future versions of wow. So to say you want to go back to the days when raiding was fun and easy and required no commitment. Well from what you said, you didn't experience it.

Nobody will get booted from a guild for having a significant lower dps (at least right away). Any guild worth it's salt will have all the dpsers relatively close to each other. If there are any outliers up top, the players will try to see what that person is doing differently to improve themselves. If someone is much lower, the guild will try to see what they are doing differently to make them so low. Is it gear? Is it spec? Rotation? Class? Other abilities being done (ie shields, interupts, buffs/debuffs, etc.)

It sounds to me like you don't want to take the time to improve yourself, and other members of the community have seen it and called you on it. Instead of complaining that x,y,z makes people elitist, why not focus on what you can do to improve yourself to get on the level?
erm we did clear all that and as I stated for a while I did do everything to be up to the raiding standard that was needed for naxx and AQ40 and with success.

Did I use addons YES, did I do everything to maximize damage output yes, did I get the best spec possible yes, did I get the best gear possible yes Did I really enjoy it no not after a while.

After a while i didn't enjoy it anymore as it became more of a job then a fun thing and it felt like you came dependent on the addons like some kind of drugs so I quit and left the game simple as that.

My friends didn't get booted from the guild they just left the game as it was no fun for them anymore sometimes people can't make the time to get all the needed stuff even if they want to.

Trineda
01.21.2012 , 07:13 PM | #34
Hello everyone,

In order to keep the forums tidy and conversations in one place please use this thread to discuss the topic of dps meters, we will be closing this current thread. Thank you for your understanding.