Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why are weapon beam colors the wrong way round?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Why are weapon beam colors the wrong way round?

Shebee
01.20.2012 , 02:18 PM | #1
I always wondered, as a kid, why the Republic space vessels shoot red beams, instead of green, like the Imperial beams.
Shouldn't the Republic use green beams, and the "bad" Empire red, not the other way round?
You have probably noticed this in space missions, where Imperials will shoot green beams, and Republic ships will shoot red, just like in the movies.

I know there are Jedi that use red light sabers, and some Sith who use other colors than green, but still, isn't the common idea that Empire = red, Republic = blue, green etc?

Tell me if I'm wrong

Guildrum
01.20.2012 , 02:52 PM | #2
I always kind of wondered the same thing. I guess if Luke had used a red lightsaber in the OT, and Darth Vader used a green one, we'd think a little differently on the green/red alignment of "good guy"/"bad guy".
The Shaffer Legacy: Begeren Colony

Shaffer Lazy-eye Horace Sleth
Journalist, Pirate Bodyguard Sith

SweetLou
01.20.2012 , 02:53 PM | #3
I concur... it just makes sense... at least they fixed it in this game lol

DarthRavnos
01.20.2012 , 03:28 PM | #4
You inspired me to put up this post.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=211028

Hope it helps explain some.
"Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning."
~Bill Gates
"...itís important to remember your competitor is only one mouse click away."
~Doug Warner

MandelynRain
01.20.2012 , 09:43 PM | #5
I want my ship to shoot purple beams......

snooggums
01.20.2012 , 10:34 PM | #6
It's because the red and green aren't really faction or alignment colors, they were used for emotional effect.

BrandonSM
01.20.2012 , 10:39 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Shebee View Post
I always wondered, as a kid, why the Republic space vessels shoot red beams, instead of green, like the Imperial beams.
Shouldn't the Republic use green beams, and the "bad" Empire red, not the other way round?
You have probably noticed this in space missions, where Imperials will shoot green beams, and Republic ships will shoot red, just like in the movies.

I know there are Jedi that use red light sabers, and some Sith who use other colors than green, but still, isn't the common idea that Empire = red, Republic = blue, green etc?

Tell me if I'm wrong
Republic is just as bad as the Empire. The Imps are just a little more vocal.
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."

Tyestor
01.20.2012 , 11:25 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by SweetLou View Post
I concur... it just makes sense... at least they fixed it in this game lol
There was nothing to fix...
i5 2500k @ 4.1ghz | HD6950 @ 910/1450 | Crucial M4 256GB | 12GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600mhz | Coolermaster HAF-X | Asus P8P67-M Pro.

http://www.youtube.com/tyestor