Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why can't Space combat be like Xwing vs Tie Fighter

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Why can't Space combat be like Xwing vs Tie Fighter

CarpLTunnel
01.20.2012 , 09:09 AM | #11
I just wish space combat would drop space ship loot. I have like most people here done everything I can but really only found two pieces of gear. I am assuming later I may get more but really that should be the loot you get. interesting ship mods.

I spent my fleet commendation points on a lockbox thinking it would be a piece of random ship loot. Nope it was a piece of green level 50 armor.

Space right now is just a minigame like playing tic tac toe while playing a game of chess. It has the potential to be more than what it currently is but I am willing to wait on space for the sake of getting other things in game that should have been there from the get go.

Mikkeos
01.20.2012 , 09:20 AM | #12
Check the space left unused on your installation medium.

They'd have had to drop a bit of the ingame voice stuff to make it happen.
There aint 'nuff space left to even implement a collision detection in space for bolts and missiles, or ships.

Kattla
01.20.2012 , 09:25 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by genesiser View Post
This game takes place like 3,000 years before the movies. Maybe there weren't invented yet? I dunno.
And in those 3000 years, the only thing they improved in the galaxy was giving droids prettier coverings.

Back to topic, i wouldn't mind more advanced space combat. The current system is save for the later missions, easy. But it works.

dannomite
01.20.2012 , 09:32 AM | #14
Development cost. I for one love the current minigame format. It's simple enough that new content can be constantly added in without sacrificing development time on the main game.
"My name isn't slick. It's Zoidberg... John <explicit> Zoidberg."
Ginyuu 50 Scoundrel - The Fatman
Kramden 50 Guardian - The Fatman

armyjedi
01.20.2012 , 09:47 AM | #15
One thing I loved about SWG was that you could have PvP space combat, tricked out ships that were made entirely of parts created by another player (and were ****** parts at that), and you had more models of ships than you could shake a stick at. Now while I'm not saying lets have 3000 different models of ships for everyone's tastes, desires, etc., it would be nice if we had a more "space combat" feel to it, rather than an arcade game thrown into the mix of an MMO. Doubt this'll change much of anything, or do I know how much redev for something like that would run, BUT, a man can dream can't he?
"It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees!" - Emiliano Zapata
Mexican reformer & revolutionary (1877 - 1919)

Foxfirega
01.20.2012 , 10:40 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by dannomite View Post
Development cost. I for one love the current minigame format. It's simple enough that new content can be constantly added in without sacrificing development time on the main game.
I feel similarly.

What I often see people ask for amounts to almost an entire new game (effectively) being added onto the development cost. Flight combat simulators (which is what a lot of early space combat games like Wing Commander and X-Wing/TIE Fighter were designed to be) have a lot of specific engine quirks/development considerations that are entirely separate then those for an MMO.

I think the current mini-game format works for the moment and if they decide that they want to expand into a more robust space system later, that's fine. At present, however, it's a purely optional 'intermission' thing with all of the real, dedicated story taking place planet-side or otherwise in ground locations (just like in every other BioWare game ever - Mass Effect and Knights of the Old Republic never included serious space combat as a series, despite the fact it not exactly being out of place). I don't think that necessitates a significant amount of developer resources (though that is certainly subject to change later as time goes on).

It is what it is. A nice, fast 'break' from the main story/focus of the game. The mini-game format works well for it in that regard.
'Your name is in the mouth of others - be sure it has teeth.' - Maxim 16, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

sleepygaymer
01.20.2012 , 11:29 AM | #17
Personally I hope that this is a pvp addition later.

Paralassa
01.20.2012 , 04:49 PM | #18
Hi there!

There is an active discussion thread for this topic:

Space Combat should have been X-wing vs TIE-fighter

In the interest of consolidating discussion, we have closed this thread and ask that you use the one linked above for any further discussion. Thank you!