Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Suggestions to help make crafting more viable at endgame!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Suggestions to help make crafting more viable at endgame!

Kaliwyn
01.20.2012 , 02:55 PM | #1
If many of you are like me, I feel that as a crafter, my crew skills are not very useful at endgame. Consider the following:

1. Armormech and Synthweaving have no lasting need at end game. People are either going to want Orange/Customizable gear or are going to get PVP gear that has expertise. The problem with former for armor crafters is that while there are some good looking oranges that are craftable, you can only do chest, legs and head slot items. Also, as an armor crafter you have no reusable mod slots items to craft for people. I know it's been said time after time on this forum, armormech and synthweaving need armor mods.

Suggestion 1: Make armormech make aim/end and cun/end mods. Synthweavers can make str/end and will/end mods. Also, make these mods better than the mods you get from dailies at 50. This will stimulate an end game economy and make it so that crafting becomes viable for endgamers.

Suggestion 2: Make it so that your best art armor pieces are partially crafted. Instead of having crafters do orange chest, legs and head slot items, maybe have those items as boss drops at end game. Give the crafters the matching orange bracers, gloves and boots. Or mix it up and give boss drops the chest, legs and boots and the crafters head, bracers and gloves. Or any combination of this. The idea is to give armor crafters a reason to craft something. Maybe it's just me, but other than implants and ear pieces, i have either PVP gear or oranges, so purple and blue items mean nothing to me at endgame.

2. Cybertech also has minimal lasting effects at endgame, although more than most. The mods that they make are good, until you start using daily inserts. And since most of the mods off of PVP gear and Raid gear has better mods in it already, you find yourself being pushed out of endgame usefulness. The starship upgrades are nice, but not extremely useful at endgame. Yes they are better than the vendor. Yes, they are considered end game. But since you get the last starship mission before you can use most of the player crafted equipment, you don't NEED these items to complete the mission. The ear and implant slots are nice, but will be quickly replaced by PVP or raid items.

Suggestion: Much like amor crafting, give cybertech the endgame mods and enhancements. Make the stop-gap between a new 50 and top-geared 50 be the daily mods. Unfortunately, the only solution I can think of for spaceship parts is to create more space missions. Something I'm sure will be down the road.

3. Armstech/Artifice. We have barrels, so that's good. I have the same complaint as armor and cybertech, but with an additional issue. Endgame weapons (as I have seen) do not have barrel slots. So even if you make these barrels endgame viable, most endgame gear won't use it. I guess the same applies to the armoring mods. The orange weapons are not nearly as exciting as full armor sets, so I would love to see better options for these. At least artificers at this point have the ability to make some of the rarer color crystals, but again, PVP and Raid gear don't use these (as far as I have seen).

Suggestions: Again, same solutions as above. (Maybe I should have put suggestions for the whole post at the bottom? Would have made this alot shorter.... sorry about that )

BioChem - Best of the current crafting options. Consumable that requires a re-investment by the buyers time and time again. I don't have a biochem character (Although my brother does) but everything i've seen this is the best endgame craft in the game to date.

Overall suggestions:

I would love to see all of the mods spread out among all of the crew skills except, of course, biochem. This gives all crew skills a resouce that the community will continually need. I would also like the devs to remove the ability to take out mods from gear. Before the flaming begins about this, let me say this. If you are unable to remove your mods from gear, where do you go to get new mods? Crafters. If I may point to jewelcrafting in WoW, it was a proffession that many had because it was very viable to all users and was in constant demand. If you use the mindset of spreading out all of the mods and making them endgame viable, you have just made every crew skill in the game equally viable. This in turn will stimulate the player economy and create a competitive crafting environment.

Lastly, I don't pretend to have the end-all be-all solution to what I feel is a struggling endgame economy and crafting system. I only have suggestions. My goal is to stimulate an intelligent, constructive (and hopefully friendly) forum discussion on what we as players believe would help improve this portion of the game.

If you have made it all the way to the end, I apologize for the length, I just wanted to try to articulate my opinion as best I could.

Thanks for reading!

Kaliwyn
Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave. - Malcolm Reynolds

CraftyoneC
01.20.2012 , 03:10 PM | #2
I think a better idea to make other craft skills more appealing is to add consumable items to them. For instance:

Armortech: Portable shield generator, creates a portable shield around the player absorbing 3000-5000 damage 1.5 min cooldown (essentially the same as the Rakata medpack)

Armstech: Overcharged fuelcell, fits your blaster or rifle with an overcharged fuel cell increasing dmg by 10% for 20 seconds has a two minute cooldown (times and dmg are just pulled out of the air, some thought calculation can be done to bring into line with other consumables)

Synthweaving and artifice could have like craftable items. I think this would be a much better option then just nerfing what players are finding useful now.

DarkenDragon
01.20.2012 , 03:31 PM | #3
or just do the simple fix of having primary stats scale a bit with the quality of the item when you RE discover a new schematic.

instead of having an artifact quality item that has common primary stats

kashaun
01.20.2012 , 03:47 PM | #4
As long as a game has high end complete items from raids and pvp grinding, crafting simply won't be up to par. I'd rather have different appearance skins and rare components to crafting items drop in raids and looted or gained in pvp and have the player base trade and interact with each other and sport each others products.

PlayLoud
01.20.2012 , 03:57 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkenDragon View Post
or just do the simple fix of having primary stats scale a bit with the quality of the item when you RE discover a new schematic.

instead of having an artifact quality item that has common primary stats
Has BioWare commented on that? Have they said if it is a bug, or working as intended?
CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz | Mobo: GA-Z77X-D3H | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | SSD: Samsung EVO 1TB
Video: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G | PSU: Corsair AX850 | Case: Antec P182 | Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
Sound: Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium HD | Headset: Sennheiser PC 360 | OS: Win 10 64 | Monitor: Dell G2410 1080p

Syylara
01.20.2012 , 04:08 PM | #6
Until and unless there is a plethora of craftable orange gear (so you can crit and produce them with augmentation slots), both crafting and appearance customization will remain a problem.

Their idea to unlock the mods from endgame PvE/PvP sets is a start, sure. But as long as you have just a handful of orange craftables, the issue remains the same. There is very little for crafters to offer at endgame and most people are limited to one of 4 or 5 appearances for their class.
Syyl'ara - Twi'lek Smuggler Yaan'su - Chiss Agent
www.swtor-rp.com - Roleplaying community and discussion

DOOA
01.20.2012 , 04:21 PM | #7
Consumables from each craft has merit.
Also top tier crafters should have a bonus applied if they use what they make. i.e. biotech for their use only gives 5% more, Synth can make upgrade with 5% over normal stats for their use only, etc.

The bonus needs to keep crafting desirable even when crafters cannot sell there goods.
WoW has the right idea here, blacksmith can socket, Jewlcraft can make special jewels, Alchemy has longer buff duration., too bad they don't balance it well.

To implement this:
No one likes a nerf, so slowly upgrade professions and give the bosses a little boost if necessary as you balance out the crafting professions.
I am DOOA;
much have I seen, but little have I done.