Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is low fps my graphics card or the game?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Is low fps my graphics card or the game?

TaylorM
01.19.2012 , 04:57 PM | #1
Hey guys like many others I have been experiencing low fps and although my computer isn't an amazing gaming computer it is brand new. I get around 20-30 fps open world and less than 15 in warzones, flash points and in a lot of buildings. I also have all the settings on low and have shadows, conversion depth, and vertical sync all off. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Heres my specs:
Dell Inspiron 570
Video Card is an Ati Radeon HD 4200
4 Gig Ram
3.0 Ghz

Heres my DxDiag:

Spoiler

renegadeimp
01.19.2012 , 05:04 PM | #2
You are running a very old, very low spec system. You wont ever see high steady FPS on that system.

What you can do is update your graphics drivers, and try the guide in my sig. it should give you 10+ fps extra, maybe more.
Streamline - A guide to speeding up low - mid range Computer systems.
Latency Thread - Latency issue gathering thread..
Have a tech issue you need help with? You can nomally find me on the Customer Support forum.

Gangrel
01.19.2012 , 05:06 PM | #3
1st things 1st, update your graphics card drivers

2ndly, and this is the most important..

Drop all of your ingame settings down as far as you can.

The 4200 graphics card is *not* all that decent, and is more of a card installed so that you dont have to rely with on board graphics... it better than nothing, but there is a lot better than it (and if its a desktop machine, you dont have to spend a lot to get a noticeable improvement ).

I have a laptop with the *previous* generation (the 3200) and i would be lucky to get 20fps with *EVERYTHING* on minimum in City of Heroes (an 8 year old game)
1) I reject your reality.... and substitute my own
2) Not to be used when upset... will void warranty
3) Stoke me a clipper i will be back for dinner
4) I have seen more intellegence from an NPC AI in TR beta, than from most MMO players.

TaylorM
01.19.2012 , 05:08 PM | #4
Oh alright thanks for the help. I would think it would run still run fairly smoothly though because it does exceed minimum requirements, and I am using a desktop by the way.