Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Guide to Karaga's Palace Stacking Puzzle

DragonArmyAK
01.19.2012 , 01:29 PM | #1
Hi, folks. Brick from Vendetta.

This isn't necessary for everyone, but if you're having trouble perfecting the KP Puzzle boss (4th in KP), this guide is for you.

Who flips the panels and when I'll leave to you - different composition groups will approach this in different ways. We beat it with 1 ranged dps each on a panel to minimize solving time. Another raid in my guild did it with 2 solvers and a lot of sprinting. To each his own. But the efficient solution is the same regardless - that's what I wanted to write up.

You may be familiar with stacking puzzles already. If not, practice with http://www.mazeworks.com/hanoi/index.htm

You can also practice with a quarter, nickel and dime. Most fun you can have for 40 cents, imo.

Karaga's version has 3 panels to click on. Let's call them A, B, C from left to right. Each has 3 screens directly above them.

There is a 10th screen, which you can think of as a "loading dock". If I have a symbol on one of the panels above B, and I click panel B, it will move that symbol up to the loading dock. If I click it again, it will place the symbol back where it was. Easy.

If I clicked it again, putting it back on the dock, then ran over and clicked panel A, the symbol will now be on A.

The whole game is about loading and grabbing these symbols. Naturally there's a catch: the symbols have values: 1, 2, 3. You cannot stack a 2 on top of a 1, or a 3 on top of a 1 or 2. The high number must always be on bottom. When you get all 3 stacked up on a single column, the secondary panel unlocks and you can kill the droid's armor.

Its kind of like Free Cell - the whole game is about making enough space that you can move 3 to where it belongs. After that, stacking 2 and 1 on top of it is easy.

OPENING MOVES

When you boot up, 1 is on A, 2 is on B, 3 is on C. And the boss, conveniently, is under C. So you don't need to move 3 at all.

Here's the sequence of buttons: B - C - A - C (DONE)

For those who want to visualize it (get your loose change out if you like):

B - this loads 2 onto the dock
C - this grabs 2 (putting it on top of 3, which is already there)
A - this loads 1 onto the dock
C - this grabs 1 (putting it on top of 3 and 2, which are already there).

3-2-1 all stacked. Secondary panel lights up and you're ready to burn.

MOVING THE STACK

After you get through that first phase and clear out the mines blocking your panels, we're into the regular game: taking a full stack and moving it to a new location. Most groups will move the boss through center each time, so you'll be stacking on center next (B), then left (A) then back to center (B) then right again (C).

You want to master the following rotations, because time is not on your side. Remember, you're trying to free up 3 to go to its new home. 1 and 2 are in the way. To move the stack from C to B, we have to first set it up.

C-B : moves 1 to B
C-A : moves 2 to A
B-A : moves 1 to A (this is legal, since 1 is smaller and can stack on top. A-B at this point is an illegal move)

Now 3 is clear, and so is B.

C-B : Moves 3 to B

Now we unravel and finish up. C is our free cell now, we'll use it to get 1 out of our way.

A-C : moves 1 to C (which frees 2 for...)
A-B : moves 2 to B
C-B : moves 1 to B (DONE)

If you're practicing, that's 14 moves - 7 load/grab pairs. Which is as efficient as you can get.

After another burn phase, you'll be looking to move the whole stack from B to A. I'll give you a tip, so you don't need to memorize all this: Wherever you want the stack to end up is where you'll unload 1 temporarily. So in this case, we're putting 1 on A, then 2 on C, then clearing the way by moving 1 to C. Once you do it a time or two it should be easy. Here's the whole sequence:

B-A
B-C
A-C
B-A (this is moving 3 in place)
C-B
C-A
B-A (Done)

Moving A back to B (remember, start by putting 1 where you want the stack to end to end up):

A-B
A-C
B-C
A-B
C-A
C-B
A-B (Done)

And finally, just so I have all 4 sequences in this guide, let's do B to C:

B-C
B-A
C-A
B-C
A-B
B-C
B-C (Done)

Use this guide if you need to, but it is far better to practice and understand it - after all, if you do 6 rotations to kill the boss, you're looking at 84 clicks. Something is bound to go awry...if it takes you more than a few seconds to clean it up, you'll be looking at a wipe.

Here's the link again for some out-of-game practice. Remember, 7 moves is what you're shooting for every time, no hesitation. http://www.mazeworks.com/hanoi/index.htm

And have fun!
Selling used light sabers (mostly red) in bulk since Beta. I can't turn 'em on, but they sure are pretty once you wipe off the sith blood. Inquire at Trooper Barracks.

Yummymango
01.19.2012 , 01:44 PM | #2
The puzzle in game is little different, in the link that you mentioned, we cant stack the bigger on smaller but in game we can do that so essentially you can achieve the solution is less than 7.

Lets say all are in A with 3, 2, 1 stack and we want to move it to C
A - B (1 moves to B)
A - B (2 moves to B)
A - C (3 Moves to C)
B - C (2 moves to C)
B - C (1 Moves to C)

Solved, so we don't need 7 steps. Rinse and repeat.

(Unless I am wrong about stacking. because we did it yesterday and we were able to stack as we wished.) Please correct me if I am wrong.

DragonArmyAK
01.19.2012 , 01:58 PM | #3
Respectfully, I believe you are incorrect. Whenever we tried to stack 2 on 1, for instance, it gave us an error.

But I'd love independent confirmation of this - in all fairness my focus at the time was pushing those buttons as quickly as I could.
Selling used light sabers (mostly red) in bulk since Beta. I can't turn 'em on, but they sure are pretty once you wipe off the sith blood. Inquire at Trooper Barracks.

Yummymango
01.19.2012 , 02:04 PM | #4
I agree with you but I didn't notice any error when stacking. I will also check again on hard mode this week and will confirm.