Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New Class - Very Long/Detailed/Thought Out

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
New Class - Very Long/Detailed/Thought Out

kdebones
01.19.2012 , 01:28 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Leiloni View Post
Regarding the staffs, what about this? Not sure what the Republic mirror would be but it's a start for the Imperials at least:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Royal_Guard
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Vibrostaff

Yeah, I was aware of the Royal Guard, the only issue is... well, usually you get directed by a Darth (Baras, Zash, Zhorrid/Jadus, Tormen, etc.). The Royal Guard are directed specifically by the Emperor . . . I just don't really know if that would work. I mean the class idea is solid, but the implications are what's getting me here . . .

Bankingclan
01.19.2012 , 01:42 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by kdebones View Post
Yeah, I was aware of the Royal Guard, the only issue is... well, usually you get directed by a Darth (Baras, Zash, Zhorrid/Jadus, Tormen, etc.). The Royal Guard are directed specifically by the Emperor . . . I just don't really know if that would work. I mean the class idea is solid, but the implications are what's getting me here . . .
As soon as you said riot guard I was thinking this also, the idea of a scattergun using true melee character wading in with pepper spray and shield bashing sounds really cool, but I think without a 'proper' melee weapon people would assume this is a vanguard/pyrotech copy.

Also as to the imperial guard idea and being directed by the Emperor, maybe that could be part of the story? You start off as a rookie, and then attract the eyes of someone 'very important' (having no clue who they are.) It would be pretty BA if I played a melee royal guardsman who's final/very late (start of act 3?) class quests involved finding out who he had been serving all this time, then stemming from there. I suppose however that a royal guard would be less military and more secrecy, but I guess Bioware would have to integrate the two somehow. Being a military leader who even the sith bow to is, again, pretty BA.

kdebones
01.19.2012 , 01:54 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Bankingclan View Post
As soon as you said riot guard I was thinking this also, the idea of a scattergun using true melee character wading in with pepper spray and shield bashing sounds really cool, but I think without a 'proper' melee weapon people would assume this is a vanguard/pyrotech copy.

Also as to the imperial guard idea and being directed by the Emperor, maybe that could be part of the story? You start off as a rookie, and then attract the eyes of someone 'very important' (having no clue who they are.) It would be pretty BA if I played a melee royal guardsman who's final/very late (start of act 3?) class quests involved finding out who he had been serving all this time, then stemming from there. I suppose however that a royal guard would be less military and more secrecy, but I guess Bioware would have to integrate the two somehow. Being a military leader who even the sith bow to is, again, pretty BA.
Duuuuuuude I have never seen that thing before!!!!!!! THAT IS SUCH A EPIC FIND!
And yeah, you hit one of the problems with the Commie Guards. There are others but it's to painful for me to go into detail withought brain failure. But that image you found gives me SOOOO MUCH TO GO ON! THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!!!!!!!!!

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_riot_trooper FOUND IT'S WIKI PAGE!

kdebones
01.19.2012 , 02:01 PM | #24
Change Log:

- Added in Weapon Set for Base and Advance Classes
- Modified Recommended Stats

SOOOOO happy with the change to the weapon because now this creates a non-existant armor category that can be specially created for this class, aka armor that has Strength and Cunning on it. Stupid mad props to Bankingclan for the image of the Riot Trooper which I think is from the Force Unleashed games (I never played them, or, tried and couldn't get past Level 2 >.<)

Bankingclan
01.19.2012 , 02:08 PM | #25
Duuuuuuude I have never seen that thing before!!!!!!! THAT IS SUCH A EPIC FIND!
And yeah, you hit one of the problems with the Commie Guards. There are others but it's to painful for me to go into detail withought brain failure. But that image you found gives me SOOOO MUCH TO GO ON! THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!!!!!!!!!

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_riot_trooper FOUND IT'S WIKI PAGE!
Glad to help It gives me a warm, fuzzy satisfaction with life

Noth
01.19.2012 , 02:36 PM | #26
To the points of Docking; realistically it's not that hard of a job, it just takes time and effort. For the Fleet, as said before that's gone thru many changes already. As for space ports, you could overlay elevators (aka, make one elevator for Operatives and Troopers) since each classes hanger is a separate instance and not connected like with the Fleet.

As for the VA portion, if a new class were implemented chances are it would only be for expansions (since it would involve so much work).

Update Log:

- Added in potential starting zone
Does not matter if it is an expansion. It's a ton of extra work that just increases work load everytime they want to extend the class stories. Unless they do a hero cls thing and have them start out at a higher level with a much shorter story, which would kinda violate their story focus on the game.
╼S T D╾
◈Get Infected◈
Sith Empire│PVP│PST
STD Guild HQRecruitment ThreadGuild Site

Bankingclan
01.19.2012 , 02:45 PM | #27
Change Log:

- Added in Weapon Set for Base and Advance Classes
- Modified Recommended Stats

SOOOOO happy with the change to the weapon because now this creates a non-existant armor category that can be specially created for this class, aka armor that has Strength and Cunning on it. Stupid mad props to Bankingclan for the image of the Riot Trooper which I think is from the Force Unleashed games (I never played them, or, tried and couldn't get past Level 2 >.<)
I had an idea that maybe one of the dps trees could be based around the electro staff and be a kind of 'tanky/more resilient' (for wants of better words) type of dps based around control and debuffing. It would be mainly designed for solo leveling/ pvp and would consist of strongly debuffing your target (in return these abilities deal a little less damage). Essentialy it would consist of stacking up your debuffs - i.e movement impairment (shock/stun, an accuracy impairment (pepperspray) and an attack speed impairment (staff-bash?) among others. - to beat your enemies into submission. In pve it could work well in long term fights when you can maintain your domination. Where it would lack is in resource management and fight openers, when a player would have to rely on resilience before they can really stack things up against a player. My imagination of this is like a riot trooper storming in, taking a bit of a beating, and just withering angry mobsters down.

However I think this idea is similar to the rage warrior(Im not so sure, any insentive from a warrior/knight would be appreciated.)That could be a downside. Also, balancing could become an issue if the class ended up with too much survivability, thoughts?

Also, for the republic mirror, maybe a kind of 'enforcer' type person? the story would revolve around keeping the streets of coruscant safe (same kind of starting area) by controling crime and protecting people. Eventually you will be called into other planets because resources are spread thin (the war) and will uncover gangster cnspiracies etc. A possible later act could consist of the republic being so desperate as to put you into the war, when suddenly things become different...

Again, just brainstorming. I love your idea andust wanted to offer some kind of input to it .

Leiloni
01.19.2012 , 02:53 PM | #28
Loving this thread, really only replying so I can subscribe to it lol. As for whether or not BioWare would do it, I certainly hope so. It would be the kind of thing you do in a big expansion. They've already confirmed they're adding new species at some point so why not new classes!! As for the armor for this class, it's gotta look good on female toons for us female gamers. Some of the heavy trooperish armor in game now is hideous on female characters, even some of the heavy Jedi Guardian stuff is kinda meh.
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=1753652#edit1753270

kdebones
01.19.2012 , 03:34 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Leiloni View Post
Loving this thread, really only replying so I can subscribe to it lol. As for whether or not BioWare would do it, I certainly hope so. It would be the kind of thing you do in a big expansion. They've already confirmed they're adding new species at some point so why not new classes!! As for the armor for this class, it's gotta look good on female toons for us female gamers. Some of the heavy trooperish armor in game now is hideous on female characters, even some of the heavy Jedi Guardian stuff is kinda meh.
Right, bikini plate armor. Got it

Now, as for the idea behind the Riot Guard AC, the picture I want people to imagine is they burst into a room, shrug off a few pistol shots, and literally smash someones face in with their weapon (originally shoot a hole thru their head, but now with the electrostaff, he jams it into their face and watch the body convulse). Now, as for as the DPS Class, I want to center it around the fact your using an Electrostaff, not a light saber, not a blaster; no, a gosh darn Electrostaff. Let me give an example of an ability i've been thinking of:

Overcharge - You overcharge the power on your weapon for a few seconds to cause your weapon to shock your foe into submission.

Applies a DoT on attack that deals damage and lowers the target Alacrity and Movement Speed by 5%. Reapplies on successful attack up to five Stacks Wears off after 5 seconds.

Cooldown: 20-30 Seconds

What I'm trying to aim for with this is an Anti-Caster/Channel ability. While it's main function is to do damage over time, it would also have the secondary effect of slowing casts and cause channeling abilities to take much longer. For example, if you have an ability that takes 4 seconds to channel, it'll take 5 at max stacks; a full second can be the difference between life and death! The MS portion is to make up for the fact that against, say, a Marauder or Juggernaut, who don't rely specifically on casting abilities.

The Riot Guards are meant to Contain the situation, usually thru violence

Note: This may not be my best example. Sorry

Moncrief
01.19.2012 , 04:34 PM | #30
This is an aside to your class idea, but I thought I'd throw it in here:

I know having companions kind of makes "pet" classes a bit obsolete. But, there is room for them in the game I think. Many class abilities show a droid being summoned to heal or pulse fire or explode or what have you for a short period of time. This idea could be incorporated into a sort of DOT oriented pet class. Sticking with the mirrored class necessity I could envision one utilizing droids and the other beasts - bringing back a taste of the original SW MMO beast handler.