Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New Class - Very Long/Detailed/Thought Out

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
New Class - Very Long/Detailed/Thought Out

Fonzdude
01.19.2012 , 09:02 AM | #11
would prefer a melee non-force non stealth tank/dps class

names like warrior/fighter/berserker etc would be awesome

kdebones
01.19.2012 , 09:06 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Vestras View Post
A good proposal.

While the SIS Spy is a good equivalent, it's not quite the same. I would suggest a republic aligned bounty hunter equivalent perhaps. Call it the enforcer or something.

Box of tricks tanking tree that resembles the BH, but uses more cryo rather than pyro. Make the medium armored version an out right spy design. All james bond gadgets and what not.
To lazy to copy/paste this into previous comment; your idea is VEEEERY good! For BH, most light-side choices involved putting a target on cryo, so this would be an easy fit. In addition, it can easily fill both the Medium Armor start, Medium Armor Tech Power Caster and Heavy Armor Tank. When I get some free time, I'll do a write up similar to the one I did for the Trooper above.

Varinm
01.19.2012 , 09:14 AM | #13
Playable Mandalorians could fill this role for both sides. They're mercenaries, so they don't have genuine loyalties.

In fact, it would be awesome if you could "unlock" a Mando (a la Death Knight from WoW), but instead of being minimum 30, 40, etc....

1) One unique backstory reduces dev time

2) Make it Faction Neutral. Bolster either faction on a whim with your "you can't kill me" attitude, skills, and gear.

3) In WZs, you could "choose" which side to queue with (Mercenary style).

4) In open-world PvP, you can attack either faction, which means you can be attacked by either faction.

3) Don't violate your Rep/Imp sensibilities and role an "enemy" char just to explore the other faction's areas. Go Merc.

4) Land in an orbital station, pick up a planetary Merc mission that keeps the NPCs off your back.

5) Replay only the fun missions from your previous roles.

6) Have a price put on your head for killing an extremely unbalanced number of members from one faction (i.e., no griefing Repubs with your Mando army). Killing you not only brings high valor, it's a Bonus Mission that rewards credits. Turn in at terminal...

No Rep/Imp balancing issues, because Mandos hate everybody.

kdebones
01.19.2012 , 09:20 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Fonzdude View Post
would prefer a melee non-force non stealth tank/dps class

names like warrior/fighter/berserker etc would be awesome
Isn't that essentially Powertech's Tanking Tree? I.E. Rocket Punch (to proc Ion), Flameburst (for damage debuff), Oil Slick (self aoe debuff), etc? Sure they has some ranged abilities but their core ones are Melee.

As to the Mando idea
Spoiler

Not to mention the majority of them fall under the reign of the current Mandalore who is working hand-in-hand with Empire, meaning a Neutral faction probably won't work.

Fonzdude
01.19.2012 , 09:26 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by kdebones View Post
Isn't that essentially Powertech's Tanking Tree? I.E. Rocket Punch (to proc Ion), Flameburst (for damage debuff), Oil Slick (self aoe debuff), etc? Sure they has some ranged abilities but their core ones are Melee.

class that use tech or vibro staves/swords etc.

atm the force users get proficiencies in those weapons but cant/dont use becuase there abilities require light saber

Otterpup
01.19.2012 , 09:28 AM | #16
Why your idea is silly:

Shared skill trees working off two main stat bonuses?

Varinm
01.19.2012 , 11:57 AM | #17

As to the Mando idea
Spoiler

Not to mention the majority of them fall under the reign of the current Mandalore who is working hand-in-hand with Empire, meaning a Neutral faction probably won't work.
A backstory of Clan Ordo allows a little wiggle-room in allegiances. Mandalore the Lesser is a tool of the Empire, but they're still pretty fragmented compared to pre-Revan (I don't think that's a spoiler).

Leiloni
01.19.2012 , 12:45 PM | #18

-Imperial Technician
Armor: Medium
Prime Stat: Cunning

Roles: Tank / Support

-

Imperial Trooper Description: Behind the lightning, light-sabers, and backstabbing are the dedicated men and woman of the Empire. Armed with years of hard military training and with a blaster in hand, they'll cut thru any enemy that stands in their way.

Technician Description: Few can boast as much know-how as the Imperial Technician. Armed with their Modified Blasters and powerful Generators, the Technician can bring forth the latest in technology to turn the tides on any opponent.

Technician:
- Bioware (Support/Healing (AND PUN!))
- Cyberware (DPS)
- Onslaught (Shared)

The Idea - Technicians: I'm sure if you look at this at face value you'll say "WELL HEY NOW THAT'S AN OPERATIVE!" As much as I hate to say it, they do share similarities (Healer spec, Medium Armor) but beyond that they're nothing alike. First and foremost, Operatives are Melee Assassins where as Technicians are Ranged Casters. Healing, while sharing the "Ranged" aspect, will work differently; Operatives work with Tactical Advantage where as Technicians will be working with HoTs (think WoW Druids) and more importantly buffs, filling the non-existent "Support" Role.

Example: Your doing Colocoids and your Healer runs out of Force/Energy against the the giant mantis thing. You would have an Innervate-like ability to help restore their Resource, while also throwing the tank an "Armor Buff" to help withstand the moments of less healing since you would also pop a HoT on him as well.

Trees again should be rather obvious. Though the name might sound like a joke "Bioware" should best describe it since it's tech that deals with "bio" or organics. Cyberware should also be pretty obvious since your using cybernetics and technological weaponry to fight. Onslaught is the shared tree.

-

Issues: Troopers don't really suit Mandalorian Armor now do they?

-

If you've got any comments by all means leave me one and tell me what you think. As an aspiring Game Design Student I want all the feedback I can get ^_^
To start off with I love the idea of a pure support class in any game - i.e. they aren't specifically heals, tank, or dps but they support in any way necessary from the group. But, it has to be done right. I've only seen a true support role done in two games I've played (I know it's been done in others but I haven't played those games). That's Aion and RIFT. Aion got it right with the Chanter, RIFT's classes were just bad. That's the TL; DR.

Additional thought: I wonder how a pure support class would work in the 4/8/16 person group makeup we have??

RIFT did a pretty bad job with the Bard and Archon classes. They had some buffs and debuffs (and the Bard also had heals), but none stood out above the rest and none were really situational or special. You were able to put them all up at the same time for the most part and you just spammed your rotation mindlessly and that was it. Boring and useless out of endgame raids.

Aion did it right with the Chanter class. Lots of awesome buffs that were great in certain circumstance so most of these had CDs of some sort, there were a few buffs you'd have up all the time (but couldn't use all of them at the same time, had to choose) and then you had your regular attack skills which also provided debuffs, (albeit not enough of a debuff IMO). You had a few heals as well, but not enough to be a primary healer, so it was used mostly in a situational, support capacity. Also wore chain armor and could spec to be pretty durable if you wanted to also play that role.

But you were forced to make choices about what skills to use when and there was such a wide variety of good skills that there was actually room for the player to make a difference with his/her choices. The class was very active when played right so not boring at all. Skilled players made more of a difference but anyone could still play the class effectively. They were viable and their presence was noticed in all modes of play - PvE and PvP. These are some of the things that make for a good support class for me. So I really like your idea but if Bioware were to do that, they'd have to get it right. Or if you were to expand further the above is what would have to be done.

Edit: The below idea I really like. We have enough gun classes in the game as well as Lightsaber classes. There's nothing more fun than beating on someone in melee with a staff. WTB a class that uses Electrostaffs and Vibrostaves with some really hard hitting wacking sounds to go with it as you beat the heck out of them and knock them down every other hit lol. And cool staff swinging animations kinda like the double bladed lightsaber has.

Quote: Originally Posted by Fonzdude View Post
class that use tech or vibro staves/swords etc.

atm the force users get proficiencies in those weapons but cant/dont use becuase there abilities require light saber
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=1753652#edit1753270

kdebones
01.19.2012 , 01:09 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Leiloni View Post
To start off with I love the idea of a pure support class in any game - i.e. they aren't specifically heals, tank, or dps but they support in any way necessary from the group. But, it has to be done right. I've only seen a true support role done in two games I've played (I know it's been done in others but I haven't played those games). That's Aion and RIFT. Aion got it right with the Chanter, RIFT's classes were just bad. That's the TL; DR.

Additional thought: I wonder how a pure support class would work in the 4/8/16 person group makeup we have??

RIFT did a pretty bad job with the Bard and Archon classes. They had some buffs and debuffs (and the Bard also had heals), but none stood out above the rest and none were really situational or special. You were able to put them all up at the same time for the most part and you just spammed your rotation mindlessly and that was it. Boring and useless out of endgame raids.

Aion did it right with the Chanter class. Lots of awesome buffs that were great in certain circumstance so most of these had CDs of some sort, there were a few buffs you'd have up all the time (but couldn't use all of them at the same time, had to choose) and then you had your regular attack skills which also provided debuffs, (albeit not enough of a debuff IMO). You had a few heals as well, but not enough to be a primary healer, so it was used mostly in a situational, support capacity. Also wore chain armor and could spec to be pretty durable if you wanted to also play that role.

But you were forced to make choices about what skills to use when and there was such a wide variety of good skills that there was actually room for the player to make a difference with his/her choices. The class was very active when played right so not boring at all. Skilled players made more of a difference but anyone could still play the class effectively. They were viable and their presence was noticed in all modes of play - PvE and PvP. These are some of the things that make for a good support class for me. So I really like your idea but if Bioware were to do that, they'd have to get it right. Or if you were to expand further the above is what would have to be done.

Edit: The below idea I really like. We have enough gun classes in the game as well as Lightsaber classes. There's nothing more fun than beating on someone in melee with a staff. WTB a class that uses Electrostaffs and Vibrostaves with some really hard hitting wacking sounds to go with it as you beat the heck out of them and knock them down every other hit lol. And cool staff swinging animations kinda like the double bladed lightsaber has.

I'm sad to say i've never played Aion before but I have played Rift (before I was randomly banned and never went back). I did get to play around with the Bard, not so much the Archon because it was pretty bad. The Bard had a few good things, but like the Archon is wasn't all that good.

As for the 4/8/16 make up, the general ideal would be to have 1/2/3. Your abilities would reach out to around 3-5 other members, so ideally you would want your abilities to reach everyone in the party. As for single target buffs, they would probably be exclusive (think how Stims/Adrenaline work).

As for your comment on the Electrostaff/Vibrostaff... yes, I want them in-game so much too >.< That's partially the reason I want to see the Scattergun in for Riot Guards; Blasters keep to the back of the crowd where as Scatterguns come up and blow your face-in (let me state now I have not played the Smuggler Class so I don't really know if the range on Scattergun is shorter then Blaster... logic dictates it should but... you know). I'll try to think of a justification for having Trooper use Staves over Blasters, but don't get your hopes to far up.

Final Note: Coming up with an idea for a base/AC counterpart to this. It would start as a SIS-type of character, and it would eventually branch off into an "Field Enforcer/Neutralizer" class and "Engineer" class. Details are still foggy but it's something to work with. Comments?

Leiloni
01.19.2012 , 01:24 PM | #20
As for your comment on the Electrostaff/Vibrostaff... yes, I want them in-game so much too >.< That's partially the reason I want to see the Scattergun in for Riot Guards; Blasters keep to the back of the crowd where as Scatterguns come up and blow your face-in (let me state now I have not played the Smuggler Class so I don't really know if the range on Scattergun is shorter then Blaster... logic dictates it should but... you know). I'll try to think of a justification for having Trooper use Staves over Blasters, but don't get your hopes to far up.

Final Note: Coming up with an idea for a base/AC counterpart to this. It would start as a SIS-type of character, and it would eventually branch off into an "Field Enforcer/Neutralizer" class and "Engineer" class. Details are still foggy but it's something to work with. Comments?
Regarding the staffs, what about this? Not sure what the Republic mirror would be but it's a start for the Imperials at least:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Royal_Guard
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Vibrostaff
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=1753652#edit1753270