Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Disgusted by the Early Trooper Story

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Disgusted by the Early Trooper Story

oldorcguy
01.18.2012 , 06:35 PM | #31
Why I deleted my trooper-

-The companions are straight out of a B level war movie from the 50s (i.e. wooden and 1 dimensional)

-The overall anti-military or "Hollywoodization" of how the military really is factor of the storyline

-The multiple errors concerning how any military operates (officers saluting NCOs; please)

-minor spoiler****
You're a "bad" person for killing a war criminal instead of letting him go free [apparently the hippies writing the script didn't think capturing him was a viable option]. Most military/vets would see "offing" this guy as the choice a "good" person would make given the limited options [dead or let free]

But, I'm a vet so I'm biased/familar with how it is in real life. It might work for someone who has no clue how it really is.

Luckmann
01.18.2012 , 06:47 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by oldorcguy View Post
[...]

-The multiple errors concerning how any military operates (officers saluting NCOs; please)

[...]
Welcome to the Republic, which, despite it's many similarities to the United States of America, is not the United States of America.

Have a pleasant day.
Bevier, Knight of the EmpireLord Calypso, EU RP-PvP
WTB Jedi Battlelord's Chestguard, Greaves, Boots & Handgear.

DoctorFeh
01.18.2012 , 07:31 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
With regards to the Cathar lady:

Spoiler
it's that simple.

-Macheath.
No, it's actually not that simple. Recall that:

Spoiler

Lady_Alyria
01.18.2012 , 08:19 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by DoctorFeh View Post
No, it's actually not that simple. Recall that:

Spoiler
The difference is probably because the soldiers have the force of the Republic behind them, they can order more meds. The refugees through no fault of their own have nothing. And from my understanding if you give the meds to the officer the boy you threatened dies.

PantheraMorag
01.18.2012 , 08:26 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Lady_Alyria View Post
The difference is probably because the soldiers have the force of the Republic behind them, they can order more meds. The refugees through no fault of their own have nothing. And from my understanding if you give the meds to the officer the boy you threatened dies.
But he does start the quest by telling you that without the medicine several soldiers will die, so I find it hard to accept that they can just order more medicine and everything will be fine. The quest seems like one of those "damned if you do, damned if you don't", but the light side option doesn't give you an update telling you what happened afterwards, so you get to go away with a clear conscious.

As opposed to some other light side options, where I've gotten mail basically telling me they're worse off after I let them go. (The cheater story for empire is one of the first ones, my IA has gotten at least three of these letters as a light side)
My biggest wish is to have this droid: MSE-6-series repair droid as a pet!

Sai-to
01.18.2012 , 08:31 PM | #36
Sorry OP, but you massively over-reacted. Play through the rest of Ord Mantell and Corscant... you'll have what you're looking for.

hkraven
01.18.2012 , 08:55 PM | #37
I personally liked the Trooper storyline and companion quests once you get deep into them. Sure M1-4X is a caricature(basicly some 80's morning cartoon good guy).

In the end I do like how the story is pretty much about fixing other people's(mostly SIS..) screw ups to prevent a massive catastrophe or basicly saving the day just to have politicians screw you over(final class quest). Playing a Light Side trooper had a nice feel of sticking to your convictions regardless of what Command had to say about doing things(Command sometimes ordering getting the job done at massive costs to civilians or even other republic forces). Sure you get some perks in this since you're Havoc Squad and wont be dishonorably discharged but did get my *** chewed off by Garza more then once :P
"Remember boys and girls, at the end of the day Sith is just an anagram for s**t".

In Grav Rounds We Trust

ceciltaru
01.19.2012 , 09:02 AM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by oldorcguy View Post

But, I'm a vet so I'm biased/familar with how it is in real life. It might work for someone who has no clue how it really is.
Unfortunately oldorcguy, they hit some of the things that have been occuring over the last several years, that have disgusted vets like myself, but these are the real life stories, and they are happening. But remember, for every one bad story, there's several good stories that don't get reported as prominently.

I have liked the trooper storyline so far. I have no doubt that someone who has been stationed on Ord Mantell for a few years, dealing with corruption, and lack of support from superiors, may start giving into those basic ideas. Is it that way on other planets? Nope.

You want to play the noble soldier, who wants to end corruption and help the people -- then the Ord Mantell story and quests is right up your alley. I have been playing mine that way, but he has made the hard choices. I've even skipped certain area quests, that i remembered from my smuggler, that were too grey to have a proper outcome, that may send him down the wrong path, such as the "true republic" quest on Coruscant. Its been a blast so far making these types of decisions!