Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Jedi vs. Sith Combat Style

Erevan_Kindelar
12.14.2011 , 10:10 AM | #11
The closest analog in real life would be a fight between two Kendo masters, one of whom has just realised the other has seduced both his wife and his daughter.

I have never seen such a fight occur, but in situations where one master is irritated or angry before a bout, that master has always lost, even though their skills are generally considered superior to their opponent.

If your anger stops you being "in the moment" for the fight, then you will lose - whether you are a Kendo master or a Sith Warrior.
I am telling the truth, honestly! I am as honest as the day is long! Besides, I am a terrible liar, everyone can see when I am lying - my lips are moving.
Like most other subs, I have a Referral Link. Clicking it gets you some stuff, and me some stuff too.

JackNimbyl
12.14.2011 , 10:14 AM | #12
Focused rage? An interesting concept. One that I cannot really fathom because I have never experienced it for myself. I always believed that Sith are trained to unleash all their rage in combat, going into something like a frenzy.

For an untrained fight vs. another untrained fighter, rage/adrenaline/frenzy will give you the advantage. But for a trained fighter, the best thing would be to stay calm.

zumbledum
12.14.2011 , 10:37 AM | #13
were sort of touching on 2 topics here.

there is the ease and seductive nature of the dark side. it is very easy to get angry and fight , to let hate drive you to revenge and murder. its fast and easy power but its no road to success for either side.
Anarkin for all his power and ability is almost completely manipulated and controlled by the emperor exploiting his emotional nature.

And then you have the diametrically opposed attitudes of sith and jedi that actually approach a certain similarity at the top levels of mastery.
Both sides control their emotions the jedi seek to remove them and fight from a position of calm tranquility allowing the fight to flow. The Sith use their emotions like tools they are no more out of control than a jedi , a Sith may use his anger to press an advantage or use his hatred to endure but he is the master of his emotions every bit as much as the jedi.

Acceptance vs Control

ScheurK
12.14.2011 , 10:47 AM | #14
Well there is a subtle detail about the view of the Sith on using your anger. Several powerful Sith have claimed (eg Vader) that you should use your anger in bursts, so that you can control it. The Sith knew that anger was your source to rely on, but it could easily turn into blind rage which was quite self-destructive and made the darksider blind for obvious dangers ('you underestimate my powers...lost his limbs).

Most of the times Jedi don't win because they overpower their Sith enemy, but because Sith are deliberately stupid and don't get the 'think before you act'-idea.

Jorander
12.14.2011 , 10:50 AM | #15
As someone who has studied martial art, I can personally attest to the fact that anger does nothing for one's prowess, and can cause you to botch more difficult techniques. I can also confirm that rage can cause you to turn off physical pain, and can cause your brain to activate more of your muscles when you move. That aside, I feel compelled to point something out about the nature of the Force and emotions, and the way the Sith and Jedi use them. While I do believe that calmness and clarity of focus can and does help Jedi when they fight, that is not the reason why they teach it.

The main reason that they teach this, aside from proper Jedi values, is that calmness and inner tranquility is a pathway to accessing the energies of the Light side of the Living Force, where a Jedi draws their true power from. This calmness is like a key that unlocks the gate. The same is true of the Sith and their unbridled passions releasing the power of the Dark side of the Living Force. Again, while a Sith would get some benefit from the rage itself, the rage, as peace is for the Jedi, just a means to an end. A lot of people will claim this marks a clear difference between the real world, and the Force of Star Wars, and in one sense it absolutely does.

That said, I don't necessarily agree with that particular line of thought, in and of itself. I do believe that inner calmness and tranquility causes a person to find something inside themselves that can push their abilities far beyond what should normally be even humanly possible. For a good example of this, one only has to look at the true story of Way of the Peaceful Warrior, or the movie, Peaceful Warrior.
"If your surrender leads to slaughter, that is not because the Force has darkness in it. It is because you do."
"That place… is strong with the dark side of the Force. "What's in there?" "Only what you take with you."

Aleppo
12.14.2011 , 10:53 AM | #16
Forget calmness, anger, focus, adrenaline etc. What makes a great fighter is when your totally spent you dig deep inside yourself and find that last ounce of energy and last drop of courage to see you through. I'll take a big heart and a large pair of brass ones against the force, light or dark, every time