Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Argument against LFG


Jed_the_machine's Avatar


Jed_the_machine
01.17.2012 , 03:30 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Cyntax View Post
And the groups you DO get together could infact be so inferior that loosing that bad person could ruin your whole group, MOST of the time it actually does destroy the group (Wich is lame as duck)...

LFG tool wont change that. nerfing and simplifying everything till it becomes a brainless experience, like it happened in wow, would.... but i hope that will never happen

Cyntax's Avatar


Cyntax
01.17.2012 , 03:33 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Jed_the_machine View Post
LFG tool wont change that. nerfing and simplifying everything till it becomes a brainless experience, like it happened in wow, would.... but i hope that will never happen
I didnt say Simplify everything to the ground, the statement was for making it EASIER to just vote kick bad person, use Automated tool to get another player for try. lessen the chance of groups disbanding.

Rashne's Avatar


Rashne
01.17.2012 , 03:39 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Moricthian View Post
Ironic that you post a link to this fallacy, without providing any support to your argument in your own words. Just because its a fallacy to say that the LFD/LFR tools alone are responsible for the decline of the WoW community, doesn't mean they didn't contribute.

Having said that, I agree with the OP to an extent. The LFR/LFD tools did a lot to damage the community by removing the need to not be a douche, so that you don't get a bad name on your server. With more anonymity, one doesn't have to worry about the repercussions of their actions. In fact, these tools heavily promote solo-based play because you can be completely guildless and still do all the content. Solo-based play is pretty much the opposite of what an MMO promotes.

I agree that we do not need such an auto-group-finding tool in SWTOR. In fact, on my server we started a global LFG channel because Bioware did not implement one for us. We regularly have 50+ people on the channel and its growing as more people hit level 50 and tell others about it. We form groups from this channel regularly. We made it so that we could go out and do our dailies or w/e and still be able to find a group.

Lowenblade's Avatar


Lowenblade
01.17.2012 , 03:58 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Caraanam View Post
Im not 50 but i totally agree with this idea. LRG and the newest evil LFR killed the wow community or need to know any member of the community or even be in a guild. Hit a button, see the content, be a jerk, never been seen again. No ties, no responsibility, no reason to care about the ppl you are working with...

I hope we never see it in this game.
Sorry but you are just plain wrong. I'm in a large WoW guild, and it can take hours (yes hours) to get a group going for anything. Wait for this, and wait for that. Wait 5 minutes for so and so to finish something that often drags to 30 minutes. Wait for Joe Blow's girl friend to complete whatever; wait for Jane Doe's boy friend to come and tank... the list is literally endless. With LFD and LF Raids, players can continue play the game and HAVE FUN while in LFG queue and not have to count on Tom, Dick, and Harrys in your contact list.

Once again for those that missed the memo, waiting around in chat channels spamming "LFG Directive 7" does nothing to build "community." NOTHING!

Lowenblade's Avatar


Lowenblade
01.17.2012 , 04:07 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Caraanam View Post
there is a LFG tool in place for the server you are on atm...please just don't seem to use it..but it is under "who" of your social panel. you can put that you are lfg there and see who else in your current area is also lfg for what.

I'm not against, LFG tool for the same server..but the cross server stuff is kinda lamo
If BioWare really wants people to use its LFG tool, then the Devs need to make it more user-friendly. The majority of MMO players just woulnd't put up with bush league UI's and clunky social tools. Also, a feature that's not being used is worse than having no feature at all. The lack of a decent LFG utility and no '/roll' feature show how new and inexperienced BioWare is to the MMO genre.

Lowenblade's Avatar


Lowenblade
01.17.2012 , 04:11 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Jed_the_machine View Post
LFG tool wont change that. nerfing and simplifying everything till it becomes a brainless experience, like it happened in wow, would.... but i hope that will never happen
Your statement reveals your lack of business sense. WoW has about 11 million accounts, and I suspect the company president is laughing all the way to the bank at his/her detractors.

universeman's Avatar


universeman
01.17.2012 , 04:21 PM | #27
I've learned to play without a LFG tool and just play by myself

Passed up about 8 different HEROIC quests on Balmorra because I couldn't find anyone over the past week...so I decided to move on. Not sure why it was difficult to find ppl, because I play during peak hours (around 8pm PST, just not for very long), and I'm a healer. Go figure.

A LFG tool has zero downside IMO...at least for same server searches. No idea about cross server tools.

There's so much to do while solo in this game that I'm sure many people don't even bother to group (there's no incentive to).

Lowenblade's Avatar


Lowenblade
01.17.2012 , 04:33 PM | #28
You mean you're not doing your share to "build community" by spamming LFG Heroics 4+ in General Chat Channel? Bad boy! No desert for you.

Eshinai's Avatar


Eshinai
01.17.2012 , 05:03 PM | #29
The desire for a LFG tool is to remove the cumbersome process of getting X people together, heading to Y location and doing Z. No one wants to spend (a lot) of time getting a group together, and many people don't want to be 'trapped' in Fleet waiting for a group to form. PvP is easier simply as you can go out, do quests and queue/PvP whenever to break up the play time.

I'm curious now if a LFG channel exists on my server, as that's a good idea to help alleviate the trap issue, but I certainly don't want a wow-esque LFG tool. The result I saw was anyone with a decent network of friends/acquaintances would get as many together as possible, tolerate the PUG player(s) as needed and play. However, many players I knew skipped the PUGs entirely. You can argue that LFG didn't do anything to wow, but I think you can look at how changes following the tool reveals that Blizzard had to keep enticing the system to the point it penalized guild/friend groups simply as they didn't 'pug' players. LFR pretty much is the pinnacle of 'gimme' in this regard.

Aside, still the best laugh of general: "Group LFM Tank & Healer".

I recognize people want to show up, and play 'anything' in the game, but I get the impression people don't want to invest into a community by talking, networking, grouping. If putting that effort out is too much, then you're getting exactly what you've worked for - nothing. I'm having a blast, doing Ops, PvP, etc. with a group of 15-20 people. Open up, say "Hi, nice to meet you.", run a flashpoint, and whisper the solid players if they'd like to run another or if you could add them to a friends list. Look them up politely later for other groups. It's not that hard.

Get out of your shell people. You'll be amazed how competent playing and being polite will get you networking.

Nitewolfe's Avatar


Nitewolfe
01.17.2012 , 06:02 PM | #30
I want lfg so i can be social with more people. you anti social types that want to live in a gated community are holding me back from meeting more people.

I do not care if i never meet them again they are people just the same and i enjoy meeting them!