Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

1.1 delay... impact on progression guilds

eezee
01.17.2012 , 10:30 AM | #1
Dear Friends,

Before I get flamed by people, please understand this is our opinion and the intended audience are people that are interested in progression raiding.

With the news of 1.1 getting delayed "by a few days" I feel now is the time to share our feelings on end game progression with SW:TOR. NA and other guilds have invested a lot of time into SW:TOR, and I believe many of us felt that 1.1 would be the first true progression worthy content patch. (You can also read more of our thoughts on end-game content and SW:TOR in general http://corellianrun.com/2012/01/16/g...-27/#more-9997)

Due to SW:TOR release including numerous leveling bugs, early access, and different start dates for different people, we felt that 1.1 would provide the first equal opportunity for guilds that wish to compete in end game progress could. We now find ourselves in the position of BioWare/EA deciding to screw things up.

Weekly maintenance / patches mean nothing if they're constantly delayed and pushed back to a new random date. Being told for the past 2 weeks in a row now that patches would come out Tuesday, only to learn later they wouldn't be coming out until Thursday (or later) is a serious issue that BioWare needs to re-think. If a patch isn't ready, then you probably shouldn't announce to everyone that it will be released. To add to this point, if it's not going to be released on a Tuesday, then wait until the next scheduled maintenance (the following Tuesday) to release it.

Having these random releases for patches is yet again screwing over the end game progression community. Speaking for ourselves, we set our raid schedule around patches being deployed on Tuesday, which gives us most of the week to progress. IF it's released on Thursday, you're now going to force us to raid over the weekend just to remain competitive.

While I understand that some might feel "why not just shut up and raid over the weekend if you care this much about progression" I hope those people try to see why this is an issue. Running a high end raiding guild is a lot of work, and adhering to a schedule is something that is needed for stability. Bioware/EA changing the rules and releasing content patches whenever they feel really needs to be re-thinked... if they care about the end game raiding community at all.

Finally, the fact that SW:TOR doesn't currently offer character transfer, or pre-made level 50's to test end game content on the PTR speaks volumes to us. I remember multiple times when other MMOs would offer pre-mades with gear so people could test end game content. We hope that we don't see the issues we saw in 1.0, but given no one really tested it on the PTR we're not holding our breath.
Nightmares Asylum
US - Hedarr Soongh
10/10 16 man Nightmare

ianjeffs
01.17.2012 , 10:37 AM | #2
Quote:
"why not just shut up and raid over the weekend if you care this much about progression"
I should imagine a lot of people will quote you on that ^^ it pretty much sums it up.

Everyone who runs operations wanted the patch today, and if you are dead serious about progresison then you will do whatever it takes.

However this isn't WoW - we don't have wowprogress, achievements or armory and the content is so buggy your really fighting bugs more than bosses most of the time. I don't see how you can hope to compare with other guilds anyway.
Grintogg
Powertech Tank
GM of <O o O> - Empire guild
Legions of Lettow - EU PvP -http://oooguild.shivtr.com/

Zorke
01.17.2012 , 10:38 AM | #3
Yeah I agree. Not much else to say, it's a good point and an issue they need to fix. Patches should be consistent as far as release day goes (tuesday).

Cenntril
01.17.2012 , 10:46 AM | #4
I have to admit i just mentioned the inconsistancy with regards to patching days in a different post... its very annoying... i dont even raid yet (waiting for people to get to 50 ) but i can see how this would be worse if i was raiding.

Krazy_Karl
01.17.2012 , 11:01 AM | #5
"Progression" Raiding in this game currently makes up what % of their revenue stream? When you find the answer to that, you will then know the amount of effort Bioware will put in to addressing your complaint.

This game was designed and marketed to casuals who wanted the story and the immersion. I find it odd that all of the people who fall into your "progression raiding" niche still haven't understood that. Maybe I overestimated your intelligence.

Regards,
KK
Try not. Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

Hulgos
01.17.2012 , 11:01 AM | #6
would you rather have a repeat of Ulduar?

Horrible black holes and mega bugs, character eating zones due to an untested patch? No thank you.

The game has only been out for a month now. There's still an enormous amount of bugs (nothing out of the ordinary for a game this size) that need to be discovered and fixed. Adding an untested content update, with known bugs (which they stated in their note to everyone) would only compound problems.

Monoth
01.17.2012 , 11:05 AM | #7
So it takes a few more days to make sure the patch comes out without more bugs, good I prefer they release it without the bugs in it then to try and keep an exact release date.

All I read in the forums during Sep-Nov was how all the players just wanted the game to come out and how they would live with whatever bugs it had, now that there playing all I hear is the QQ'ing about bugs...
F2P is like driving on a long stretch of highway with toll booths every 1/2 mile

Tunda
01.17.2012 , 11:08 AM | #8
What does it matter to 99% of the population if the patch is released on a random day because you can't be "competitive"?

You get nothing special for being OMG FIRSTIES to kill a boss or clear a zone. In fact you're screwing yourself because now for the next 3 months your type will probably complain about the lack of content.

Basically what I'm saying is Bioware doesn't care about server first or world first, the majority of the playerbase doesn't care about server or world firsts, so deal with what you're given and don't expect a special heads up on content or patch times, if you want to be competitive then be competitive and ready to go always, if not...stop crying and pretending your special.

LordConnery
01.17.2012 , 11:08 AM | #9
I would much rather have them get issues fixed now and have the patch postponed.
Connery Lightbringer the Pure - Juggernaut - Immortal
GM of Brute Squad (Click for Recruitment)
Saber of Exar Kun

Thaxeus
01.17.2012 , 11:11 AM | #10
Why is it so hard to understand that this kinda thing happens. they said they would release the major content when they did because i'm sure up until just the other day most likely everything looked fine. then i'm sure at the last moment someone found a very bad,possibly game breaking bug. i'm sure they didn't want to push back the release but they would probably rather make sure it works right then piss a bunch more people off when the patch does go live. so in other words grow up, and think for a second that S*** happens and we can't forecast the future. final note, 20 bucks says you've got lots of people in your "progression guild" that still need help with dailies and getting geared to even start serious raiding maybe not even ready to do the hardmode flashpoints, so stop being a whiny little girl and do something else. BFD.