Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Synthweaving is *HORRIBLE TERRIBAD AWEFUL*

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Synthweaving is *HORRIBLE TERRIBAD AWEFUL*
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

wewter
01.16.2012 , 01:31 PM | #21
I'm thinking about picking up synthweaving today (after I craft a bunch of Resolve Armoring 22s and Artifact Earpices + Purple Mettle Mod 22As from Cybertech for money) and getting it up to 400 for the rakata gear, before then switching to Biotech for the stims/adrenals.

I see little downside to this, as I still have my UT at 400 w/ plenty of mats from that and am leveling up arch right now ... are more people doing this?

Quraswren
01.16.2012 , 01:41 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by wewter View Post
I'm thinking about picking up synthweaving today (after I craft a bunch of Resolve Armoring 22s and Artifact Earpices + Purple Mettle Mod 22As from Cybertech for money) and getting it up to 400 for the rakata gear, before then switching to Biotech for the stims/adrenals.

I see little downside to this, as I still have my UT at 400 w/ plenty of mats from that and am leveling up arch right now ... are more people doing this?

I would be careful doing that if you're happy with what you already have.

Reason being, since BW is going to make med packs and grenades require 400 in their respective proffession to use, they might do the same for some end game gear.

It is a might and not so ATM but I feel it will head that way. Each profession having some max profession requirement added to use some of the high end gear. (not all but some)

JediDG
01.16.2012 , 02:31 PM | #23
Hey all,

I'll chip in on this thread with my 2 cents.

I'm level 48 and have spent an absolute fortune in credits and time levelling synthweaving to 400. In my experience there are two major imbalances:

1). RE'ing simply isn't reliable or consistent enough. I agree with the OP that some of the attempts are excessive to say the least in the number of attempts it takes to hit the next level item up. I remember one set of boots that I stopped trying to RE after 26 attempts. Whoever posted that the OP was 'Doing it wrong' is simply insulting. Pressing a button and right clicking an item is straightforward - the RNG behind the process is not. Sure, its great when you hit the level up on the first attempt but its nowhere near balanced.

2). There are some level ranges where there are simply no recipes for certain slots - for example I think its around level 41-43 where there are no head slot items at all from the trainer for light armour - what gives? I'm supposed to spend loads of creds levelling up synth only to have to go and buy a decent headset from GTN or save up commendations? Madness!

Because of issue 1), I hit 400 synthweaving at level 38 - surely this is far too soon given the level requirements of the level 400 items (47+)? additionally, because of issue 2), I often ended up trying to RE reps that were 2/3 levels above my current level just to accommodate for the failure of RE and subsequent farming of mats to try again.

Having obtained the Rataka reps from the trainer and started acquiring some of the mats (albeit from expensive comp missions) I can see how it would get better, but I definitely feel that the OP had a valid point. Levelling synthweaving is an inbalanced chore which rather than providing up to date gear, often sucks credits away instead.

I'm sure it'll come good at some stage (more recipes in future, more balanced RE process, maybe some dailies to encourage RE'ing even at max level) but based on my experience so far, I can definitely offer my sympathies to the OP.

DG

HibashiraSakai
01.16.2012 , 04:27 PM | #24
400/400/400 Synthweaving, Archeology, Underground Trading.

I have to honestly agree with OP. I've actually used may be 3 pieces of gears I've made in 50 levels. Each for less than a level before they were replaced. I would love to make the epic wrist at 50 but that requires a component I cannot get on my own.

Thanks for nothing.

Boarg
01.16.2012 , 05:00 PM | #25
Cybertech is pretty convenient while leveling, but Synthweaving can be more useful while leveling than you're saying.

Start with realizing this…

A Blue item made from synthweaving (non-custom) is equivalent to a custom item with all three custom parts being blue and of the same level.

A "crit" blue item with an augment slot is BETTER.

A Purple item made from synthweaving is equivalent to a custom item with all three custom parts being purple and of the same level.

A "crit" purple item with an augment slot, again, is better than a custom item full of purples of the same level.

Cybertech can't make all three parts that go into a custom item.

Leveling as Synthweaver, I kept my crew skills a little ahead of my leveling and used the reverse engineering enough to develop purple and blue items. Every two levels, as soon as I ding, I put on my 2 or 3 new blue and purple items, typically with augment slots in them. The only thing that kept it from being all purples is just limited by how much purple mats I could rng out of Underworld Trading. (keeping companion affections up helps a lot with this) Trying to get custom armoring, mods, and enhancements in enough quality to keep up with this is not cheap or easy.

The advantage of Cybertech is more the uniform gear quality…instead of a couple really awesome pieces mixed with pieces that used to be really awesome a few levels ago, it usually results in gearsets that are more uniformly good but not incredible. (unless you can fill the gaps with other character's professions) It's also better suiting to outfitting alt characters.

Note also…if a player doesn't keep their Cybertech planned ahead in the same manner, it ends up pretty useless as well. It also has the same potential frustration with reverse engineering rng.

Nastar
01.16.2012 , 05:10 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Lawsie View Post
and at 400 you can make rakkata armour (140 epic). thats pretty good.. right?

You can also crit when making these and get an augment in them which i did on one piece.
Still its ******** that theres nothibg usefull at all b4 400, and its impossible to make money with it... I only make money by selling mandelorian iron on the GTN, ive never used any of the gear from synthweaving
All hail .

Synistra
01.16.2012 , 07:35 PM | #27
Buy moddable schematics from the AH, not sure what server you are on but they sell for like 700-1000 credits on mine, dirt cheap. Craft these and sell them, mats aren't expensive and the items sell well. 8000 - 12000 credits each for moddable gear at my lvl (31).

Also the rule of thumb I generally go by is make 6 of the same green at a time, RE them all, 95% of the time you'll learn the blue in less then 6 RE's. Make 6 blue and RE them and you have a pretty good chance at the epic. I've got about 11 epic patterns on my toon and I'm lvl 31 with 270 in synthweaving. If I don't get the epic within 6 then I usually just move on. I've noticed though that it seems to work better if you make 6 at a time and then RE them, doing 1 every once inawhile doesn't seem to work very well.

Synistra
Squadron 238 Tester

Korialstrazs
01.16.2012 , 07:47 PM | #28
I've worn purple armor that I've self crafted all the way from 15-45, so yeah, you are probably doing it wrong. I've yet to find a replacement to any of the pieces I've made in a given level range. From commendations, flashpoints or heroic missions, nothing outclasses the stuff I've made for myself.
"I've yet to face anything I can't overcome"

pahbi
01.16.2012 , 09:31 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Korialstrazs View Post
I've worn purple armor that I've self crafted all the way from 15-45, so yeah, you are probably doing it wrong. I've yet to find a replacement to any of the pieces I've made in a given level range. From commendations, flashpoints or heroic missions, nothing outclasses the stuff I've made for myself.
Definately gotta give you mad props. Thats some mighty fine trolling there bro.

- P

zacharySW
01.16.2012 , 09:42 PM | #30
Hey! The grass is greener on the other side.

Dude, go ahead and spend your time making FANTASTIC mods! And you know what? You can replace every one of them with commendations at the end of a planet, or just buy new ones from the mod guy at the begining of a planet.

Then, wonder of wonders, you can hit 50 where your PvP gear doesn't even use mods, and your PvE gear already had better mods.

You can't win dude. Crafting is meant to be something to do while you level, it isn't meant to gear you, to gear your companions, or to make you money. Its just for fun.