Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Smuggler Companion Guide (Info & Tips)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Smuggler
Smuggler Companion Guide (Info & Tips)

BigHamburger
01.15.2012 , 05:50 PM | #11
Excellent guide I use Guss Tuno the most
Scoundrels

Baltic_Dragon
01.16.2012 , 10:17 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Saviorofcamelot View Post

Combat Tactics

If you are planning on spamming grenades you will want to turn off Corso's Harpoon Shot because this attack reduces AoE damage.
First of all, thanks for a very useful Guide. I have two questions:

- regarding the harpoon shot - how do you turn it off? I tried to left or right-click it in Corso's abilities, but it just didn't work. He kept tossing the gigantic robots at me as if they were made from feather

- more general one on companions: is their any way to set their tactics in some way? To tell them to keep some distance from me? That would made the harpoon shot useful, otherwise it just really makes me mad

Thanks once again!

Saviorofcamelot
01.16.2012 , 11:14 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Baltic_Dragon View Post
First of all, thanks for a very useful Guide. I have two questions:

- regarding the harpoon shot - how do you turn it off? I tried to left or right-click it in Corso's abilities, but it just didn't work. He kept tossing the gigantic robots at me as if they were made from feather

- more general one on companions: is their any way to set their tactics in some way? To tell them to keep some distance from me? That would made the harpoon shot useful, otherwise it just really makes me mad

Thanks once again!
The Harpoon Shot can be disabled by "right clicking" on it in the full-size companion bar (to see the FULL SIZE companion bar you can click the "+" on the small companion window and it will show you the full-size bar). There is a bug that turns this ability back on frequently but that is supposed to be fixed with patch 1.1 on 1/17/2012.

As far as changing companion tactics/distance... There is no way to change that. I wondered the same thing when I first started playing but I haven't found anything that can do that I and spent a lot of time looking/trying.
Kamikazi - 40+ Scoundrel Healer - The Courageous
Kamikazi - 50 Sage Healer- Jedi Covenant

Baltic_Dragon
01.16.2012 , 11:51 AM | #14
The Harpoon Shot can be disabled by "right clicking" on it in the full-size companion bar (to see the FULL SIZE companion bar you can click the "+" on the small companion window and it will show you the full-size bar). There is a bug that turns this ability back on frequently but that is supposed to be fixed with patch 1.1 on 1/17/2012.
Well, hopefully - if there is one thing that makes me crazy it is Corso pulling everyone and everything towards me. And it will always be close to me, as you cannot set him to stay behind.
Daneeca the Smuggler.
I roleplay. Heavily.

Saviorofcamelot
01.16.2012 , 12:13 PM | #15
You can't set him to stay behind but you can eventually gauge his pull range so that you're always setting up in front of him.

I eventually learned his range well enough so I could set a few feet in front of him so that I could always pop off my "back blast".

On my Gunslinger I was having trouble with him pulling people that hit me with AoE's as they attacked him so I eventually learned to step forward a little, have him attack and then I rolled into cover to the right and that prevented me from getting hit by AoE stuff.

It was annoying as heck but once I got used to the correct positions I actually started to enjoy his Harpoon Shot.

Barn
01.16.2012 , 02:09 PM | #16
I might be missing something here. I just got Avaaki and noticed she was Aim geared.

As a mellee tank, isnt aim a huge waste? Wouldnt she be better strength stated?
~*~Aurora Australis~*~
Oceanic/Offpeak Online Community

Saviorofcamelot
01.16.2012 , 02:57 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Barn View Post
I might be missing something here. I just got Avaaki and noticed she was Aim geared.

As a mellee tank, isnt aim a huge waste? Wouldnt she be better strength stated?
You're correct and none of us understand why she is +AIM.

As it stands there are no moddable weapons that you can buy for Akaavi and there are no moddable weapons that drop for Akaavi either.

I had a lot of fun using her few 4/5 levels but I can't get a new weapon for her and I had to start using Risha again.

BioWare has been informed about this issue but they haven't made any reponses in 4+ plus weeks. Instead of fixing existing problems they are working on adding in new content... +AIM weapons are not part of the new content being introduced and it could be months or years before BioWare fixes this problem.

Barn
01.16.2012 , 03:24 PM | #18
Ahhh

So mod stating her for strength is what i'll do then.

I did see some nice purple crafted Techblades/Staves on the GTN, but again they had aim.
~*~Aurora Australis~*~
Oceanic/Offpeak Online Community

Saviorofcamelot
01.16.2012 , 03:44 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Barn View Post
Ahhh

So mod stating her for strength is what i'll do then.

I did see some nice purple crafted Techblades/Staves on the GTN, but again they had aim.
No... She is +AIM.

+AIM increases her tech damage and her melee damage but +STR only increases her melee damage.

What server do you play on?

I am on a low-pop server and I don't see anything above level 20 on the GTN

JonnyRay
01.16.2012 , 05:00 PM | #20
Akaavi is my favorite and since I am Darkside and she is Darkside is makes us a perfect match but the fact I can't get a new weapon for her is making me consider pulling out Risha again.

I don't know why BioWare would forget to add in Techstaff and Techblade weapons but they did and now we can't use one of our companions as a result of it.

People have said that you can get a "blue" weapon from a quest line in Belsavis but it is "blue" while all the other companions have options for multiple "orange" weapons that are moddable.
Make friends with an Armstech crafter. They have recipes for these staffs. Most of them don't know why.

Sometimes it is nice to be able to make something other than barrels for levelling.