Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

*LAME* Names


UnderatedNoob's Avatar


UnderatedNoob
01.16.2012 , 10:32 AM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by Xontier View Post
I agree. Denial is more like a lake. Which is nice because I love swimming. Thanks for the support!
Bro. She was in the wrong. Now you see that she's trying to back out of her original statements.

And she started to call you "hun"... that's when you know she is getting desperate.

Rules are rules... how can she argue the Terms of Use that she agreed to.

ScarletBlaze's Avatar


ScarletBlaze
01.16.2012 , 10:39 AM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by loctavius View Post
This is an open letter from a group of members on the Keller's Void server to the members of that community, the SW:TOR devs, and Bioware in general.

Although Keller's Void is not an RP server, we are noticing a trend of people appropriating names from Star Wars canon for their personal use. Examples include one player who has selected "Solo" as his/her legacy name, another player named "Starkiller", a guild that calls itself "The Jedi Order", and people who are putting "Darth" in their name. (They don't have the title "Darth", they are naming their characters "DarthName" at creation.) These are just a few of the more egregious examples.

We believe that players should basically have a right to name their characters and guilds as they wish. However, we also believe that Star Wars canon should be protected and supported, and should not be open to use or abuse by players or guilds under any circumstances for many reasons.

We call upon the devs, CSR's and Bioware in general to help stamp out this practice by enforcing name changes on players and guilds who steal from canon. We call upon our fellow players to use their imagination and try to come up with your own names. Taking from canon ruins immersion. Although we are not a RP server, most of us from time to time enjoy throwing ourselves into the storyline.

If you agree with us, please sign on below and let's send a message asking for Bioware to help correct this and block future attempts by players and guilds to use canon names.

Thank you.

If their name is in violation of BW naming policy (i.e. using star wars names, etc) and it goes through then you can bring it to BW's attention and let them handle it from there. That is a simple solution since there are naming policy in effect and it is stated you can not use certain names.
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Current Guild Roleplay: Redemption: The battle of Xa Fel https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...ps/r-1rAjOuo30

Xontier's Avatar


Xontier
01.16.2012 , 10:43 AM | #53
Quote: Originally Posted by UnderatedNoob View Post
Bro. She was in the wrong. Now you see that she's trying to back out of her original statements.

And she started to call you "hun"... that's when you know she is getting desperate.

Rules are rules... how can she argue the Terms of Use that she agreed to.
Oh, I know. Its just trolling her across two threads was so insanely fun until she backed out of both of them.

That said, I still wish Bioware /would/ enforce the rules. Seems kind of pointless to me to write them out then be like "Okay guys, do whatever you want!"

It can't be /that/ hard for a GM to flag a character to require a name-change before it can be used again. If Bioware never added that to the GM tools in development... they fail. Hell, all WoW GMs had to do was click a box. That's why they actually enforced names that got reported. Admittedly, most people never bothered to report, but you can't fix that.
Level 50: Sniper, Operative, Powertech.

SelinaH's Avatar


SelinaH
01.16.2012 , 10:48 AM | #54
Quote: Originally Posted by Amonette View Post
Also it should be obvious that this isn't a rule they intend to enforce. If they were going to enforce it they would have blocked name combinations wouldn't they.
If BioWare had planned to remove every form of griefing, harassment or rule-breaking through mechanics blocking rather than through reasonable policy and enforcement, we'd be waiting for the game until 2023, if it came out at all.

Also, such wholesale blocking of mechanics would likely be an unacceptable infringement of generally accepted MMO conventions. Do people really want a system where you're forced to accept a randomly generated name at character creation, since that's the only practical way to "block" millions of slight variations of "BoobaFet" and "DarthSkywalker?" Do we want a game with no chat system, simply because people could (and do!) use it to harass others?

The rules are there for a reason. They *are* being enforced. The process is just a little slow right now.

acheros's Avatar


acheros
01.16.2012 , 11:05 AM | #55
Quote: Originally Posted by SelinaH View Post
If BioWare had planned to remove every form of griefing, harassment or rule-breaking through mechanics blocking rather than through reasonable policy and enforcement, we'd be waiting for the game until 2023, if it came out at all.

Also, such wholesale blocking of mechanics would likely be an unacceptable infringement of generally accepted MMO conventions. Do people really want a system where you're forced to accept a randomly generated name at character creation, since that's the only practical way to "block" millions of slight variations of "BoobaFet" and "DarthSkywalker?" Do we want a game with no chat system, simply because people could (and do!) use it to harass others?

The rules are there for a reason. They *are* being enforced. The process is just a little slow right now.
it should be stated that, as far as copyright names go, they do need to - or atleast SHOULD check the copyright, for example, while cthulhu is a name from another series, hes very much in the public domain, but pikachu isn't. They should check that because I feel if you DONT break the rules AS THEY ARE STATED, you should never have to worry about being banned. as for canon names its the same thing, everyone knows about han solo, luke skywalker, ect, but what about less known names? like from the books.

Also, they DO have other things to worry about, a rule violation should always go punished, however someone with a stupid name is less important then bugs, or someone making an entire server miserable with racial slurs.

Xontier's Avatar


Xontier
01.16.2012 , 11:18 AM | #56
Quote: Originally Posted by acheros View Post
it should be stated that, as far as copyright names go, they do need to - or atleast SHOULD check the copyright, for example, while cthulhu is a name from another series, hes very much in the public domain, but pikachu isn't. They should check that because I feel if you DONT break the rules AS THEY ARE STATED, you should never have to worry about being banned. as for canon names its the same thing, everyone knows about han solo, luke skywalker, ect, but what about less known names? like from the books.

Also, they DO have other things to worry about, a rule violation should always go punished, however someone with a stupid name is less important then bugs, or someone making an entire server miserable with racial slurs.
It's a simple matter to forward a bug report to the proper channels. It's also a simple matter to punish a racial slurring player. Just like it should be a simple matter to flag a character for a name change.

A GMs job isn't overly complicated. Its mostly time consuming than anything else. I've spoken to many current and Ex GMs and they all say the same general thing. Its not hard, its just a long, tedious job.

Here's the catch though, they can't add any automation to name-catching. How many variations of Peekachu, Pikahchuu, Piikkachuu can you come up with? It'd be impossible and way too time consuming to add in every possible variation of every copyrighted name.

NO ONE should be banned for choosing an illegal name. That's just bloody stupid no matter how you look at it.

Every time a name has been contested and punished in an MMO, the player was always forced to change the name of the character before they could play it again. That is the ONLY acceptable 'punishment' that they should do.
Level 50: Sniper, Operative, Powertech.

Zaithen's Avatar


Zaithen
01.16.2012 , 11:55 AM | #57
This thread is inspirational....

*logs in with his newly made bounty hunter~BobaPhatt*

Npather's Avatar


Npather
01.16.2012 , 02:34 PM | #58
Quote: Originally Posted by loctavius View Post
This is an open letter from a group of members on the Keller's Void server to the members of that community, the SW:TOR devs, and Bioware in general.

Although Keller's Void is not an RP server, we are noticing a trend of people appropriating names from Star Wars canon for their personal use. Examples include one player who has selected "Solo" as his/her legacy name, another player named "Starkiller", a guild that calls itself "The Jedi Order", and people who are putting "Darth" in their name. (They don't have the title "Darth", they are naming their characters "DarthName" at creation.) These are just a few of the more egregious examples.

We believe that players should basically have a right to name their characters and guilds as they wish. However, we also believe that Star Wars canon should be protected and supported, and should not be open to use or abuse by players or guilds under any circumstances for many reasons.

We call upon the devs, CSR's and Bioware in general to help stamp out this practice by enforcing name changes on players and guilds who steal from canon. We call upon our fellow players to use their imagination and try to come up with your own names. Taking from canon ruins immersion. Although we are not a RP server, most of us from time to time enjoy throwing ourselves into the storyline.

If you agree with us, please sign on below and let's send a message asking for Bioware to help correct this and block future attempts by players and guilds to use canon names.

Thank you.
With all of the **** in the game that needs to be fixed, you whine about this?

Get a grip and go outside.