Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Highest DPS sage or shadow?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Jedi Consular
Highest DPS sage or shadow?

Hyperius
01.15.2012 , 11:55 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by MithrilSoul View Post
In multi-target situations, of course a sage is going to out-DPS a shadow for the simple reason that the sage has many, powerful AoE attacks.

In single-target sitautions, a DPS-Shadow will likely out-DPS a DPS-Sage, though it will probably be relatively close.
So doesn't that basically mean sages are a bit stronger currently? @IF@ Sages are far better AoE, Relatively close ST AND heal(strong or not it's still some healing) that definitely sounds so. On my server Sorcs(Sorry I'm a dirty Imp lol) do FAR better on average in most WZ's I participate in. There is one really good assassin and Many Many sorcs that do really well. My guess as to why? Assassins/Shadows have a much higher skill curve, melee, no heals VS much lower skill curve(Yes I know any class takes skill to be great but some are easier to pick up than others) Ranged + some heals/bubbles(which are incredibly powerful)

What do you guys think? Personally I love my alt shadow, so whatevs. But I do believe sages/sorcs are a bit easier to jump into the driving seat and have a few more bells n whistles.

PS: This is only from a pvp standpoint of course. I don't give a rats arse PvE lol Some do, not me hehe

MithrilSoul
01.15.2012 , 12:22 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Hyperius View Post
So doesn't that basically mean sages are a bit stronger currently? @IF@ Sages are far better AoE, Relatively close ST AND heal(strong or not it's still some healing) that definitely sounds so. On my server Sorcs(Sorry I'm a dirty Imp lol) do FAR better on average in most WZ's I participate in. There is one really good assassin and Many Many sorcs that do really well. My guess as to why? Assassins/Shadows have a much higher skill curve, melee, no heals VS much lower skill curve(Yes I know any class takes skill to be great but some are easier to pick up than others) Ranged + some heals/bubbles(which are incredibly powerful)

What do you guys think? Personally I love my alt shadow, so whatevs. But I do believe sages/sorcs are a bit easier to jump into the driving seat and have a few more bells n whistles.

PS: This is only from a pvp standpoint of course. I don't give a rats arse PvE lol Some do, not me hehe
A couple thoughts:

1. The OP never mentioned PvP at all, and quite frankly from the tone of the question I got the sense he/she was asking more about PvE.

2. Regarding learning curve, I agree with you 100%. Quite frankly I think you could say, as an across-the-board generalization, that ANY ranged class is typically easier to pick up than a melee class...especially where PvP is concerned.

3. That difference is even more true with Shadows, since maximizing your effectiveness as a Shadow involves a lot of watching for procs and so forth. It's a pretty complex class to play well, arguably the most complex in the game. (I wouldn't go to the wall for that assertion, but if anyone thinks there are any other classes more complex than Shadows/Assassins, I would be extremely curious to hear which ones.)
Varwe, lvl 50 Mirialan Jedi Shadow tank
Chief Officer, Ring of Destiny
recruiting mature, semi-casual players of all classes on Jedi Covenant server
Honor ~ Loyalty ~ Respect

KennethHoover
01.15.2012 , 03:51 PM | #13
I am also loving my sage. She has a nice ranged DPS and the damage has a kick to it. Good class.
"I need an Ewok to fetch me coffee and donuts."

My professional writing blog: http://kennethmarkhoover.me

Apatheistic
01.15.2012 , 07:37 PM | #14
Regarding heals, it's not true whatsoever. Unless you're actually specced for healing, there's no point in wasting your force and time to heal yourself, when they will outdamage your heals in the long run.

llorien
01.15.2012 , 09:15 PM | #15
i recently dropped my heal sage for infiltration shadow. I find i do pretty good dmg w/ my shadow, only b/c i often will pull aggro unless i have a very good tank. however typically though if i start dpsing a mob at relatively the same time as one or more of my dps counterparts i will usually be the one stuck with aggro. On a side note it'd be nice for shadow technique to have a built in threat diminisher.

key to shadow however seems to be based on shadow strike and front loading your dmg using blackout. Overall i've found shadow to be a much more enjoyable class and easier to quest with.

Fairell
01.15.2012 , 09:36 PM | #16
for my part, i completely agree with the guy who said shadow, especially infiltration is an incomplete class. yes, some of us do good now, but remember my words, with the trends going towards heavy armor classes + sorcs, shadows will disappear from the rated WZs. ur only ability which bypasses armor is force breach. rest is affected by either armor, shields, defense stats or both/all of them. your dmg on geared 50s without everything popped IS subpar.

for a light armor class without any defenses it is definitely not high or versatile enough.

i love my shadow, but dps specced i dont see him being effective enough in a rated BG or god forbid in a open world clash, cause you will simply blow up as soon as you destealth.

proof for that is that at launch we had a crapload of sins and shadows. the majority is gone. you dont even see THAT many sorcs anymore. juggs, crapload of mercs/powertechs, sorcs, operatives and occasional marauder/sniper here and there.

despite the fact that shields only work cs weapon dmg skills, armor every single hard hitting ability bar force breach is heavily mitigated by armor and with the trend going on, i dont see any chances for an assassin
Fairell - Infiltration Shadow - Darth Traya
Xar'fai Legacy

Vealage
01.15.2012 , 09:59 PM | #17
A lot of Shadows tend to think of Sage's as a spoiled sibling. But in all honesty, the two classes have their weaknesses and their strengths.

If you want to go in there and beat down a target, then you need to be a Shadow. However, this will also mean you have to sneak around and get to him. Meaning more time where you are in movement, and less time where you are actually attacking. But, when a Shadow/Assassin is behind you, there are few choices besides: Run!

Sages can heal, yea. But unless they are spec'd to do so, it is too slow and inefficient to use in PvP. If they are healing in PvE and not specc'd for it, well it is still too slow and inefficient. Iin PvP, at least, Sages really don't have great spike damage. They can, however, provide a large amount of damage, diluted among several people. DPS might look high, and it might make their "damage" number at the end of a warzone look really nice, but a lot of what a Sage does, it on the run DoTing. Which can help in some ways, but personally, I prefer the spike damage and the satisfaction of knowing you were the one that killed someone.

Both have their own advantages and disadvantages.

Most of this post was written if PvP was the main focus.
Master Rohim Dangala, Guildmaster of <U Mad Brosith>
Check out our recruitment page here!Contact us in-game for an invite!

[Insert whitty comment here, followed by chuckles and admiration for me.]

Hyperius
01.16.2012 , 12:47 AM | #18
As to the people saying it's garbage to heal in pvp as a dps spec'ed sage/sorc I just can't agree with that. The point is not to sit in the middle of AoE and heal. It's to stun/LoS/whatever and heal 1-2 times. It's not wasted at all IMO and I've seen several both in real games and in videos that put their healing ability to very good use. It's situational I'll give you but hardly useless. If even to heal up quick after a fight...I'm sure we've ALL been stuck in combat long after the fight was finished(again in pvp...seems to happen all the time)

PS: ohh i know they meant PvE, I was just giving my thoughts from a PvP perspective because it is enjoyable and might be something to consider.

Halja
01.16.2012 , 01:38 AM | #19
From my own experience, shadow single target sustained dps is slightly subpar. HOWEVER, most of the pve content does not involve mindlessly hitting a boss for 5 minutes. What i have noticed is that when faced with a single gold, or 2 silver enemies during a fight, I dispatch them faster than any other dps with the exception of gunslingers, while taking less damage if they arn't being tanked. Any time you are moving between targets you are basically still pooling dps to use when you reach it (unless you cap like a baddie).

What can be drawn from this? Shadows/SA are being held back by resource mechanics.

I also think the class has a very low skill floor for mediocrity dps, but one of the highest skill ceilings for pvp.
"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle"

Jaan'car Ashan - 50 Shadow - Swiftsure

Boxer
01.16.2012 , 02:57 AM | #20
I really like my shadow tank, spec'd 23 kinetic and rest in balance.

My bread and butter DPS-wise is Project. I swing away with double strike until the project crit comes up, then Project. With the crit+the 50% chance at a second object, my 800ish rated Project can crit for 2k.

I find that at lvl 42 I can beat almost any <50 in PvP (non-geared 50s as well) and usually in the top few in the DPS rankings.

In PVE, I feel I can kill quicker than most people I see fighting the same enemies, while still tanking fine.