Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Soa problems

Kayoss
01.15.2012 , 10:16 PM | #1
My guild has been having issues with Soa, and I want to ask the community if we're missing a mechanic.

The first 2 phases are a breeze. We get him to 30% with little to no problem and have always headed into the final phase with the group at full strength, full resources, and full cooldowns. We're ready to go.

But we cant get him to 20% before he enrages. We've tried a few different dps strategies, from having all dps on Mind Prisons to only ranged + the Trooper tank, and hard swapping when his shield goes down. Splitting the dps helped keep the Mind Prisons under better control, but I fear if we went back to our original approach (swapping only when necessary, which, in the final phase, is a lot) we will lose our control of the Mind Prisons.

Are we simply undergeared? When we do get his shield down its not down for very long, most of our dps dont have a lot of time to deal any amount of meaningful damage before its back to Mind Traps or getting tossed around in the air. We're managing to take down about 8% or less before he enrages and its all over. This, after heading into the phase at full strength.

Any suggestions or musings would be helpful, thanks.

Rev
"Eat lightsaber, jerk."

"I have an excellent sabacc face. That was a joke. I hate sabacc"

tehdonno
01.15.2012 , 10:20 PM | #2
You only take 8% off him during p3? How many pillar stuns do you get? If <3 your dps is way too low in the earlier phases and you're doing something wrong / are undergeared. If 3< you really need to switch faster to Soa when he's stunned. Not sure why you would stay on mindtraps during that, everyone must switch to him instantly when he comes out and you should get 8-10% off during one stun to be able to kill him.

Somentine
01.15.2012 , 10:22 PM | #3
First, the first two phases need to be some serious dps to get him into the transitions as fast as possible. If the healers aren't doing anything, they should be dpsing to.

Everything should be a real breeze, and fast, until p3.

On phase 3 you need to hope for a little luck if under geared, that the mind prison is out before he is vulnerable or that it hit a healer or tank.

But really all you do is go around killing mind prisons as fast as possible and a couple seconds before he gets hit by the thing falling, just have ur DPS drop everything and get in position.

As long as there is only 1 person in a mind prison at a time (there will be two in there for a few seconds) you should be able to win. And you can beat him through enrage if you avoid lightning balls and have the tank kite.

Kayoss
01.15.2012 , 11:44 PM | #4
Well......we are all swapping to him as soon as his shield is down (when hes kneeling) but are you saying we're supposed to knock off serious percentages during that time? Cuz we arent seeing the result of that. We have 2 Leap happy Knights (myself included) and 2 Gunslingers, and we all swapped fast every time, but we're not seeing the serious drops in hp that are being suggested. Maybe, given all of the posts Ive seen around here, theres a bug thats mitigating damage past the point its supposed to? idk.
"Eat lightsaber, jerk."

Niclamus
01.16.2012 , 12:02 AM | #5
The pylons are his enrage timer, you only get 4 burn phases for the last 29% in Phase 3. You need to do 7-8% in every burn phase.

Are you doing 16man or 8man? Are you on normal or on hard mode?

We did 8man as fresh 50s so it isn't a gear issue holding you back if it's 8man normal. Just need to make sure everyone is on the boss as he goes down. We call it out 5 seconds before he is going to get down so DPS can get in position. Blow cooldowns on the 1st burn phase. On the 4th and last, everyone has to DPS the boss, even healers.
Ntk, Jedi Sage of Nerf Dialogue
US - Hedarr Soongh - Progression PVE Raiding
5/5 5/5 Nightmare 16m - Boss Walkthroughs
Watch live Sunday - Friday 9PM-2AM EST http://www.twitch.tv/niclamus

Kayoss
01.16.2012 , 12:05 AM | #6
Ok, so there are 4, and once the last one goes down he enrages, basically? That makes more sense. I think we're indiscriminately taking them down without consideration of that.

And mathematically, since he comes down at 29% every time, we have to knock off 7.25% every time.
"Eat lightsaber, jerk."

Kayoss
01.16.2012 , 12:06 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Niclamus View Post
The pylons are his enrage timer, you only get 4 burn phases for the last 29% in Phase 3. You need to do 7-8% in every burn phase.

Are you doing 16man or 8man? Are you on normal or on hard mode?

We did 8man as fresh 50s so it isn't a gear issue holding you back if it's 8man normal. Just need to make sure everyone is on the boss as he goes down. We call it out 5 seconds before he is going to get down so DPS can get in position. Blow cooldowns on the 1st burn phase. On the 4th and last, everyone has to DPS the boss, even healers.
8man normal. A lot of us are well geared with 3-4pc tier2 and crafted gear.
"Eat lightsaber, jerk."

Niclamus
01.16.2012 , 12:09 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Kayoss View Post
8man normal. A lot of us are well geared with 3-4pc tier2 and crafted gear.
I just uploaded our 16man hard mode kill strategy video to the youtube I think I have in my signature. You can skip to P3 (or P5, depending how you count it) and see if you can pick up any tips. You don't need to worry about soaking lightning damage by tanks in 8man normal so you can ignore that part.

8man normal we usually kill in 2 burn phases in our stacked group.... but most of us are in 4pc rakata so we way outgear it now.
Ntk, Jedi Sage of Nerf Dialogue
US - Hedarr Soongh - Progression PVE Raiding
5/5 5/5 Nightmare 16m - Boss Walkthroughs
Watch live Sunday - Friday 9PM-2AM EST http://www.twitch.tv/niclamus

Raencloud
01.16.2012 , 12:12 AM | #9
From all the attempts I have done, I believe the enrage on this fight is solely tied to phase 4. We've had all kinds of various dps set ups and groups and I have always noticed him enraging on the 4th ancient artifact crash. His enrage does not instantly wipe your raid, so you can definitely use the 4th artifact crash, but the cyclone throw ability he uses will one shot any from that point on. We have, on occasion, made it to a 5th artifact drop, but it's not much use as by then the boss doesn't like to move much, and usually the dps on the mind traps is too low to keep up anyway so at best you have a couple people that can actually still damage him.

The goal is to kill him in 3 crashes, assuming the 3rd crash actually weakens him (last week he was bugged for us and the 3rd artifact crash would not remove his shield on any attempt). If you encounter this bug, you will most likely have to kill him in 3 artifact crashes (1, 2, and 4 when he enrages). To have a legitimate shot at killing him, you should be able to take him down no less than 8% per weaken phase (assuming the fight doesn't bug for you).

The general strategy is to keep all your dps on mind traps, killing them as fast as possible. Pay attention to the artifacts, and everyone, tanks, and healers included should swap to dps the boss when he is weakened. If you are on a mind trap (especially a ranged dps) it may be beneficial to destroy a low hp mind trap before swapping to the boss, but this is only worth it if the mind trap will die within a couple seconds of the boss being weakened. In general, you want to have your dps swapping immediately, and melee moving into position to jump on him asap once the artifact falls. It's also a good idea to save any dps cooldowns for these weakened phases.

Kayoss
01.16.2012 , 02:17 AM | #10
Thanks for the responses. My next question - How long is this weakened phase supposed to last? It feels like its lasts all of 5 seconds for us.
"Eat lightsaber, jerk."