Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Which advanced class is most similar to Consular gameplay?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Which advanced class is most similar to Consular gameplay?

Trevorange
01.11.2012 , 11:11 PM | #1
Really the play style of Consular (Mixture of melee and force attacks), which advanced class is most similar to the consular play style levels 1-10?

Thanks!

wrmrstacrdwower
01.11.2012 , 11:12 PM | #2
Shadow is melee

Sage is mage

Kcrowe
01.12.2012 , 05:10 AM | #3
I would suggest that Shadow is more of a hybrid, which sounds like what you are after... whereas Sage is pretty much pure force attacks/ranged.

Shadow, either kinetic/infiltration/balance spec will combine their deadly melee efficency with force abailities such as TK throw, Force Breach, Force Lift, Force Stun etc...

Velius

Acyl
01.12.2012 , 08:22 AM | #4
I'd say a Balance Shadow specifically is closest to a ranged/melee hybrid, and thus truer to the spirit of the initial consular.

As noted, all the Sage specs are ranged attackers - there isn't any compelling reason, at all, to ever attack someone with the lightsaber.

All the Shadow specs are mainly melee attackers...but the difference is, every Shadow spec will use some ranged attacks - Project and Force Breach at the very least. If that's enough hybridity for you, any Shadow will do.

But...Project and Force Breach are largely where it ends with Kinetic and Infiltration specs for Shadow. Kinetic does have a good reason to use Telekinetic Throw as well - self-healing - but Kinetic's playstyle will ultimately be largely taken over by the tanking stuff like Kinetic Ward and Slow Time.

Similarly, Infiltration will be rocking the stealth and backstab stuff a lot more than any of the ranged options at its disposal.

Balance, though - since it's a quasi-shared tree (same name, similar abilities, with some tweaks) between Sage and Shadow, it manages to be the closest you get to a hybrid for a Consular. You have several ranged attacks that you'd WANT to be using soon as they come off cooldown anyway, including the great Force in Balance and Sever Force. Your melee attacks have a chance to proc a zero cost instant cast Mind Crush - a ranged attack. Whereas Kin and Infil Shadows will probably hardly ever use Mind Crush - no point.

Balance tree can talent Force Lift to become instant-cast as well, and do a brief stun even when broken - making it far more practical to cast mid-fight.

All that said, Balance isn't necessarily for everyone. It has its own unique mechanic, heavy on the DoT, crit, and some self-healing based on those DoT crits. But if you're looking for a ranged/melee Consular hybrid, Balance is your bunny.

Khadroth
01.12.2012 , 09:04 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Trevorange View Post
Really the play style of Consular (Mixture of melee and force attacks), which advanced class is most similar to the consular play style levels 1-10?

Thanks!
Easily Shadow. It retains the 10m range and the ability to be proficient in both melee and force attacks.

Sage on the other hand has it's range boosted to 30m, does not receive any more melee abilities than the two baseline ones which quickly begin to suck (since they aren't buffed by willpower for the sage). Sage basically plays nothing like the base Consular.
The Starwind Legacy Anchorhead (PvP East)
"Tsu" 50 Miraluka Bala Sage "Soge" 3 Chiss Sniper
"Roronoa" 10 Pureblood Sentinel "Ashellia" 12 Borg PT
"Gene" 50 Human Gunslinger "Erza" 11 Human Jugg
"Shocktrooper" 16 Borg Comm "Hei" 1 Chiss Assassin

VonSoot
01.12.2012 , 09:11 AM | #6
Comes down to...

Do you want to use your lightsaber?

Yes - Play Shadow
No - Play Sage
Master Soot Starbeard
Jedi Sage, 7/18/16
<Feds> Republic of the Death Wind Corridor

Trevorange
01.12.2012 , 08:05 PM | #7
Thanks for all the replies, I'm going to go Shadow.

MithrilSoul
01.15.2012 , 12:49 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Acyl View Post
Balance, though - since it's a quasi-shared tree (same name, similar abilities, with some tweaks) between Sage and Shadow, it manages to be the closest you get to a hybrid for a Consular. You have several ranged attacks that you'd WANT to be using soon as they come off cooldown anyway, including the great Force in Balance and Sever Force. Your melee attacks have a chance to proc a zero cost instant cast Mind Crush - a ranged attack. Whereas Kin and Infil Shadows will probably hardly ever use Mind Crush - no point.
I agreed with almost everything you said, except this last part about Mind Crush. Even without the 'freebie" proc, it is still a very powerful attack. I actually find myself quite often using it as my opener out of stealth, especially against a powerful single target. To put the baseline lvl 50 numbers on it (pulling these from torhead.com):

Mind Crush = 3160-4199 plus a 5295 DoT = (on average) 8975 damage for 40 Force

Compare that to some of your other options as an opener:

Shadow Strike = 1748-1981 damage for 50 Force
Double Strike = 2031-2103 damage for 25 Force
Force in Balance = 1198-1309 damage for 25 Force (assuming proper talents)
Project = 3558-4424 damage for 45 Force (39 Force if talented for it)
Spinning Kick = 388-512 damage plus 2s stun for 30 Force

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but...how are any of those other things a better option against a single target? Maybe spinning kick for the stun, I suppose. In terms of efficiency, I don't think there are any abilities Shadows have that are more Force-efficient than Mind Crush. The only real argument against it is that it has a 2s casting time (induction), but at the very least coming out of stealth that isn't even a factor. I use Mind Crush all the time on my lvl 38 Shadow (KC/Bal hybrid, currently 23/0/5) and I'm not even high enough in the Balance tree to get the talent for the freebies yet.
Varwe, lvl 50 Mirialan Jedi Shadow tank
Chief Officer, Ring of Destiny
recruiting mature, semi-casual players of all classes on Jedi Covenant server
Honor ~ Loyalty ~ Respect