Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So.. why did the Sith show themselves?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
So.. why did the Sith show themselves?

bfishback
01.14.2012 , 10:32 PM | #1
I don't really understand why Palpatine just randomly decides to let Darth Maul show himself, after a thousand or so years, just so he will die. It really made no sense.. why alert the Jedi that there might be more Sith out there?

Nortro
01.15.2012 , 12:47 AM | #2
Well...eventually you'll have to show yourself if you want to gain dominating power.
Guildmaster of Havok - Whitebeam Run - East Coast Server

Durzaka
01.15.2012 , 12:50 AM | #3
Because he needed something to spark the war, and finding out that sith are the enemy would do that.
Durzaka Retribution

SammyRath
01.15.2012 , 01:10 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by bfishback View Post
I don't really understand why Palpatine just randomly decides to let Darth Maul show himself, after a thousand or so years, just so he will die. It really made no sense.. why alert the Jedi that there might be more Sith out there?
There was nothing random about this.

Darth Sidious was the culmination of over 1,000 years of the Sith accumulating power. When he revealed that the Sith was still alive It simply set about the events Sidious himself had foreseen that eventually led to the destruction of the Jedi Order, and the rise of the Galactic Empire. Giving the Sith complete control over the Galaxy.

Jackbency
01.15.2012 , 01:57 AM | #5
Palpatine knew about Anakin.

Koronii
01.15.2012 , 01:59 AM | #6
To put it simply, if Maul managed to kill Obi-wan and Qui-gon, then the Jedi would likely give Anakin the boot, allowing Palpatine unrestricted control of the most powerful Force-sensitve in the galaxy.

VegaPhone
01.15.2012 , 03:40 AM | #7
It could be several reasons.

However, the one that makes the most sense to me, is that the Emperor was holding thin strings to his underlings who he must manipulate to keep them under his control and his bidding.

The reason why the Emperor has to be manipulative is because of the Sith code. Anyone can rise to power, however that rise to power is only attained with careful planning and real or fake alliances, which then leads to some kind stable power structure but selfish to their own gain. It breaks down to 'you help me, you help yourself' and things work out that way.

So keeping that in mind, the sith are united for a common goal and that is against the Republic and under the emperor.

So it is possible that after a thousand years of manipulation and maintaining control that his underlings have also gain some leverage to undermine the Emperors authority and therefore to maintain order again the emperor decided to attack the Republic to maintain order in his empire by keeping people focused on an enemy rather than usurping what ever power and self benefit sith would try to attain for themselves anyways.

davidpop
01.15.2012 , 03:40 AM | #8
Because there would have been no movie without a bad guy, or it would be abit boring atleast if the jedis didnt have anyone to fight.

Vecke
01.15.2012 , 04:54 AM | #9
Considering the fact that the end result was Palpatine ruling the entire galaxy, with the Chosen One by his side, it's pretty hard to criticize it as the wrong decision.
"I know."

JediGerad
01.15.2012 , 05:02 AM | #10
I see it more as Palpatine believing that the Jedi are weak at the time. They had been so used to not seeing any Sith that they became lax and inactive. Combine that with the ineffectiveness of the Republic and there really wasn't a better time for the Sith to reveal themselves and throw the Jedi order into disarray.