Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Notes on BioChem and Cybertech in Game Update 1.1

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Notes on BioChem and Cybertech in Game Update 1.1
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Skizzik
01.13.2012 , 02:08 PM | #31
Wait, you guys put in cybertech grenades that did damage? Why would you even do that?

McVade
01.13.2012 , 02:08 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by GengisKahn View Post
Georg, from my point of view, you failed to adress the real problem.

The real problem is not Biochem medpack being too powerfull, the problem was the other crew skills being almost useless at end game and the reusable adrenals stacking with relics and other buffs being to powerfull in PVP.

Medpacks werent a problem if the other crafting skills we buffed to worthwhile levels.
I think the issue is, this kind of thing takes time. The biggest priority is to insure one profession isn't better than all the others BY LEAPS AND BOUNDS. Slicing was at first. Then Biochem was, with a strong honorable mention to Cybertech.

The most important thing to do is even them out. Then, they can begin working on the core problem, which isn't something they can just hotfix in a week.
The Official Unofficial Figurehead Of The December Procrastinators.
Fixed for George Lucas
Quote: Originally Posted by Ossos View Post
"I'm going to keep paying $15 a month for creamed corn because one day I might like it."

GeorgZoeller
01.13.2012 , 02:09 PM | #33 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by Masahiko View Post
A solid first step.

I hope we will see other Trades advance a bit with items for them like Biochem and Cybertech.
We plan to give all crafting and gathering professions additional and ongoing attention, yes.

It's important to remember that we launched not a month ago - we're in for the long haul. Crafting is an important part of the game and we have plans for it

BBQPorkMogul
01.13.2012 , 02:10 PM | #34
Annnnnd.... Nothing has changed. Biochem is still the go to craft skill for raiding because it is the only one that actually helps.

flumpet
01.13.2012 , 02:11 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by PaxFelix View Post
Your reasoning makes sense. However, many developer posts have been about tackling needed game adjustments in order of priority. Is this really high on that list?

How about Ability Lag?

How about the unpopular and unavoidable Auto-PvP feature that violates the game code about non-consensual PvP (see thread in this forum)?

If y'all are using "Ease of Correction" or "Rapidity/Alacrity of Correction" as a criterion in addition to simply priority, please let us know. I think the community would accept that, but saying "priority" only, and making a fix like this, is quite the empathic failure. This community certainly has other priorities.

But thanks for the clear explanation!
I'm pretty sure they have mentioned that the complexity of implementing a fix is also a factor in determining which issues hit the patches first. That's why last patch, for example, we got "emotes from vehicles now work". It was an easy fix.

They've put out a number of posts discussing ability lag, the complexity of the problem, and the fact that they're directing a lot of resources to correcting that problem.

Vitiock
01.13.2012 , 02:11 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by McVade View Post
I think the issue is, this kind of thing takes time. The biggest priority is to insure one profession isn't better than all the others BY LEAPS AND BOUNDS. Slicing was at first. Then Biochem was, with a strong honorable mention to Cybertech.

The most important thing to do is even them out. Then, they can begin working on the core problem, which isn't something they can just hotfix in a week.
This fix in no way fixes the fact that biochem is better than other crew skills though, what crew skill even begins to compare with biochem post nerf?

Lexster
01.13.2012 , 02:11 PM | #37
So, you reduced the heal amount on the medpacks, but you made em go from BOP to biochem 400? Did you remove infinite consumable(oxymoron isn't it?). Im not even a biochem, Ive got 400 Art, 300s Cyber, and 300s Synth. There are far bigger problems with the crafting system than Biochem/Cybertech.

1) Commendations give rewards that are far too good. Both from daily reward vendors and as people progress leveling up. Rewards from these merchants should not be equal to prototype player made. If the same gear is to be used on these vendors, it should be the green quality gear. The cost of missions in time/credits to craft green, RE for blue, and then to craft a blue is grossly out of line with the cheap cost and insane ease of obtaining commendation items.

2) Infinite use clickies for any crafter should not be. Infinite use items that are ONLY for a given crafter are even worse. Crafting perks should be along the lines of a 10-15% boost in item crafted, or 2x the amount of use. Making an item that lasts forever, does not remove credits from the system once a crafter has it. That is what consumables are supposed to do.

3) Weapon/Armor making classes need to be revamped. All crafted gear should be orange. Orange gear should then have the option to have 1/2/3 augments on top of the mod slots. Augs/mods will likely need to be adjusted to prevent players being vastly stronger than mobs at a given level. Cooler looking armor should of course, be higher level requirement(can also increase the chance of RE success as it goes higher and is more expensive)

4) Crafting consumables should not require raid drops. Crafted consumables should come in decent sized batches. These are for use, not for rare/lucky events. In the case of biochem, raid drop requirement makes more sense in the implant line.

5) All crafting classes should have a desirable consumable that only they can craft. This item should be useful for pvp/raids. This item should be useable by others. Biochem, by its nature, should produce more variety and have more unlinked CDs on these than other crafting classes.

Leilei
01.13.2012 , 02:13 PM | #38
The whole thing stems from the problem of reusability.

If people can sell these then it wont be a problem -.- the reusable just makes its that much more appealing.

McVade
01.13.2012 , 02:15 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by Vitiock View Post
This fix in no way fixes the fact that biochem is better than other crew skills though, what crew skill even begins to compare with biochem post nerf?
It does not. You're right. The problem was Biochem was granting a noticeable convenience AND mechanical advantage over every other profession. Now, it's just a convenience advantage... one which would be off-set by the fact that I'd have to dump 400 Artifice to pick it up. So, I'm no longer tempted to go Biochem and abandon the work I've put into Artifice, even if - presently - Artifice is very underwhelming at 50.

All they were trying to do is not make those two professions grant a noticable mechanical advantage. Yes, Biochem is arguably still the best, but people aren't considered stupid for not picking it up anymore or aren't gimping themselves. They're just inconveniencing themselves, which is something Bioware can live with until they bring all the other professions up to par.
The Official Unofficial Figurehead Of The December Procrastinators.
Fixed for George Lucas
Quote: Originally Posted by Ossos View Post
"I'm going to keep paying $15 a month for creamed corn because one day I might like it."

SithEBM
01.13.2012 , 02:16 PM | #40
Why don't they fix the other crew skills first?