Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Guide] Companion Crew Skill Bonuses -- Picking the Best Crew Skills for your Class

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
[Guide] Companion Crew Skill Bonuses -- Picking the Best Crew Skills for your Class

Goshee
01.12.2012 , 10:09 AM | #71
Good guide OP, I mention most of this in my guide too. I agree with the other person, it needs to be a bit easier to read.

Are people really picking crew skills based on their class and not what they like the look of though? Seems a shame!

Prophetic
01.12.2012 , 12:07 PM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by Goshee View Post
Are people really picking crew skills based on their class and not what they like the look of though? Seems a shame!
Honestly, most of the crew skills that the classes are best at actually fit very well with the image of how that class should be played, anyway.

For my main character, I just picked Biochem 'cause it fit my character concept. After that, though, I refer to this guide quite a bit, since I have 5 alts specifically for the other crafting classes. So, since I'm doing all of the crafts anyway, and all of my characters will have access to them, I might as well get as much bang for my buck as I can.

Granted, I don't think the edge is really that extreme, especially in comparison with just affection levels in general, but a small edge is better than no edge.

Mass
01.12.2012 , 01:16 PM | #73
Great guide, very helpful!

Wouldn't you recommend sith warrior for synthweaving, because of Jasea's +5 crit. Isn't critical crafting the only way to get the 'mastercrafted' pieces (therefore making it more important than efficiency in the long run)?

Also, no companions have a crit on artificing? That would come in handy for mastercrafting lightsabers (although I haven't gotten that far yet on artificing, so I don't know for sure it works that way).

CicatrixTheBlack
01.12.2012 , 03:05 PM | #74
Having just read this thread for the first time, i'm not surprised i made a small mistake in making my Marauder an Artificer; now level 32 and committed to the trade at nearly 300 points, and then starting an Inquisitor a couple days ago; with whom I chose Synthweaver.

I'm a bit torn though since with the Marauder; he's an Artificer, Treasure Hunter and has Archaeology. This said do i NEED to have Archaeology as well to be a good Synthweaver? Regardless I'm taking a pass and will select a not-so-strictly related gathering skill. There is a lot to consider as to what will be of most benefit to either of my toons or to a yet to be created third.

Just a thought to expand past the considerations of any single character requirements of crafting. How to best share resources amongst characters on one account.

TheRealBowser
01.12.2012 , 03:49 PM | #75
Quote: Originally Posted by CicatrixTheBlack View Post
Having just read this thread for the first time, i'm not surprised i made a small mistake in making my Marauder an Artificer; now level 32 and committed to the trade at nearly 300 points, and then starting an Inquisitor a couple days ago; with whom I chose Synthweaver.

I'm a bit torn though since with the Marauder; he's an Artificer, Treasure Hunter and has Archaeology. This said do i NEED to have Archaeology as well to be a good Synthweaver? Regardless I'm taking a pass and will select a not-so-strictly related gathering skill. There is a lot to consider as to what will be of most benefit to either of my toons or to a yet to be created third.

Just a thought to expand past the considerations of any single character requirements of crafting. How to best share resources amongst characters on one account.
Inquisitors are excellent synthweavers also, but how good of artificers they are is unbelievable compared to anyone else really.

Archeology provides 80% of the resources for synthweaving and artifice, so I highly recommend you take it. It's not required, but it may as well be. You will be spending tons of credits just to get by, let alone once you start reverse engineering. Treasure hunting/underworld trading are the same thing, except that they only effect prototype and artifact crafting.

TheRealBowser
01.12.2012 , 03:51 PM | #76
Quote: Originally Posted by Mass View Post
Great guide, very helpful!

Wouldn't you recommend sith warrior for synthweaving, because of Jasea's +5 crit. Isn't critical crafting the only way to get the 'mastercrafted' pieces (therefore making it more important than efficiency in the long run)?

Also, no companions have a crit on artificing? That would come in handy for mastercrafting lightsabers (although I haven't gotten that far yet on artificing, so I don't know for sure it works that way).
There are no craftable lightsabers except in very special conditions at the end of the game, so I guess they figured it was meaningless. I'm inclined to agree. Either way there are no companions that crit it, nor are there any that crit cybertech.

The +5 crit on synthweaving is definitely worth considering, some of the things people have been saying is definitely worth noting. The crit does make a big difference and would make it not such a bad choice. I'll get back to you on this.

TheRealBowser
01.12.2012 , 04:31 PM | #77
Update on the Guide

I've done some thinking, and I consider slicing a viable alternative to underworld trading for cybertech.

Cybertech only uses underworld trading for metal, and would be forced to sell or overlook bountiful and rich yields on cloth.

Slicing provides credits (you can argue the value of this), but it specifically provides cybertech schematics which I had not considered. This makes it more useful to it than initially.

I am going to go over my guide after this and edit some things.

First of all, I am going to change all profiteering to include the 3 highest yielding gathering/mission skills (not slicing + whatever + whatever), and I am going to include slicing as an alternative to underworld trading for cybertech should the player consider that viable.

This is going to mix up the ratings a bit, so help me watch for mistakes and typos.

Other plans:

Color coding the guide. I am not sure how or what I will do here, but I am thinking of highlighting efficiency and critical bonuses in different colors. What else I will do is undecided.

Offering an additional chart to show all of the crit bonuses, since some players prefer these (and I am now convinced +crit on crafting is undeniably better).

I am also considering giving +5 crit a 4 rating as opposed to 3, because it's just too big a bonus to overlook. Give me your opinion on this.

If you guys have any more suggestions, related to this or otherwise, I'd love to hear it. Help me make this guide as great as I can!

Peke_online
01.13.2012 , 05:10 AM | #78
Excellent guide!

Regarding slicing you might want to take into account the fact that it provides crafting missions for all the other professions (besides the cybertech schematics) which can be sold for a pretty penny.

The cybertech schematics (as is now implemented) are not that valuable because there are only VERY few and the GTN is flooded with them for very cheap. The crafting missions you crit with slicing are more valuable.

TheRealBowser
01.13.2012 , 06:10 AM | #79
Quote: Originally Posted by Peke_online View Post
Excellent guide!

Regarding slicing you might want to take into account the fact that it provides crafting missions for all the other professions (besides the cybertech schematics) which can be sold for a pretty penny.

The cybertech schematics (as is now implemented) are not that valuable because there are only VERY few and the GTN is flooded with them for very cheap. The crafting missions you crit with slicing are more valuable.
You're probably right but nonetheless it gives you cybertech schematics and cybertech only uses half of the underworld trading. I consider that good enough to have slicing as a viable alternative.

Kotli
01.13.2012 , 10:53 AM | #80
+Crit is far better than +Eff for crafting as it gives you better/more stuff on a crit, eff just means less time taken.

As such I would of put Smugglers a head of Troopers for Armstech more Crits better than faster crafting.