Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Does anyone else wish...

Tyrogon's Avatar


Tyrogon
01.12.2012 , 05:42 AM | #1
...this game was more like a star wars galaxies(pre-CU) 2.0

dont get me wrong, i like the story and i find the game play fun but i feel like im playing a rpg with other people there to steal my mobs.

star wars mmo's really need to be more sand boxy then theme parky in my opinion. its such a amazing universe. what the point of making these amazing worlds if most people are going to use it once and leave.

in mmos you become heroic by proving yourself to the players not the game. thats the point of having everyone stuck on a server.

i just wanted to post this because i really feel sad inside when i explore a planet and know that people will never fight over its land. it just feels like such a waist. maybe i play to much darkfall

what makes things worse is the place you are suppose to fight over is just farmed for gear and no one attacks each other.

sorry, havnt followed the forums in a while. was wondering what others opinion on this was.

Airslash's Avatar


Airslash
01.12.2012 , 05:51 AM | #2
Can't say that I disagree. I played SWG since launch, and the vast exploration options are what kept me playing till the servers were closing down. Although swTOR has a vast universe to explore as well, you're still confined to alot of things, and as you said you'll only visit the planets during the leveling.

There's the bonus series and class quests that often take you back to several planets, but it's only for short trips, and in my oppinion this is a bit lacking.
There's probably alot of things they could have salvaged from SWG, beast handling pops to mind here, but this is swTOR and we'll have to make due with what we have at the moment.
Yatachi lvl 50 Healer Mercenary
Nashiko lvl 2x Sniper
Cecil lvl 1x Sith Assassin

Tyrogon's Avatar


Tyrogon
01.12.2012 , 06:10 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Airslash View Post
Can't say that I disagree. I played SWG since launch, and the vast exploration options are what kept me playing till the servers were closing down. Although swTOR has a vast universe to explore as well, you're still confined to alot of things, and as you said you'll only visit the planets during the leveling.

There's the bonus series and class quests that often take you back to several planets, but it's only for short trips, and in my oppinion this is a bit lacking.
There's probably alot of things they could have salvaged from SWG, beast handling pops to mind here, but this is swTOR and we'll have to make due with what we have at the moment.
thats why i threw on the 2.0. swg is about 10 years old. they can do a lot more with games these days and im sure they could have done a lot more with this game if they had gone another direction with it.

Jamjuice's Avatar


Jamjuice
01.12.2012 , 06:20 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Airslash View Post
There's probably alot of things they could have salvaged from SWG, beast handling pops to mind here
Agree, like;

free roam space
multiplayer spaceships
crafting/mining/harvesting system
class diversity (ie non combat classes)
player housing
community hot spots, like cantinas (buffs) and spaceports (market)

just to name a few.

JayGunny's Avatar


JayGunny
01.12.2012 , 06:27 AM | #5
I am sort of on board with OP.

Although, I have my own thoughts and opinions, I played SWG for a year or so as well as WoW and Aion. The whole story based aspect of the game in Swtor is amazing and should be added to. However, I feel like its too story driven, they claim the game is based upon "4 Pillar's" yet Im only noticing the 4th pillar (story) in the game while leveling.

Im hoping the end game planets are more social and inhabited, such as; Illum, Hoth and etc.

Seeing more players around would bring back the mmo view to me, for the game.

JayGunny's Avatar


JayGunny
01.12.2012 , 06:29 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Jamjuice View Post
Agree, like;

free roam space
multiplayer spaceships
crafting/mining/harvesting system
class diversity (ie non combat classes)
player housing
community hot spots, like cantinas (buffs) and spaceports (market)

just to name a few.
all of this... with less instancing attached to the story aspect would make this game just about perfect.

jarjarloves's Avatar


jarjarloves
01.12.2012 , 06:30 AM | #7
please stop making new threads about the same topic.


There are already 2 threads on the front page here about this same subject. No need for a third.

Jadedfate's Avatar


Jadedfate
01.12.2012 , 09:07 AM | #8
Not at all...SWG was terrible from launch til it was pulled. Glad it is gone..it was an embarrassment to the IP.

BrandonSM's Avatar


BrandonSM
01.12.2012 , 06:06 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Tyrogon View Post
...this game was more like a star wars galaxies(pre-CU) 2.0

dont get me wrong, i like the story and i find the game play fun but i feel like im playing a rpg with other people there to steal my mobs.

star wars mmo's really need to be more sand boxy then theme parky in my opinion. its such a amazing universe. what the point of making these amazing worlds if most people are going to use it once and leave.

in mmos you become heroic by proving yourself to the players not the game. thats the point of having everyone stuck on a server.

i just wanted to post this because i really feel sad inside when i explore a planet and know that people will never fight over its land. it just feels like such a waist. maybe i play to much darkfall

what makes things worse is the place you are suppose to fight over is just farmed for gear and no one attacks each other.

sorry, havnt followed the forums in a while. was wondering what others opinion on this was.
The only thing SWG has on any MMO, is its social abilities and crafting. Everything else in the game(Questing, lvling, etc) was absoloutely terrible.
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."

Wolfninjajedi's Avatar


Wolfninjajedi
01.12.2012 , 06:08 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by BrandonSM View Post
The only thing SWG has on any MMO, is its social abilities and crafting. Everything else in the game(Questing, lvling, etc) was absoloutely terrible.
^This tbh, though crafting was sometimes a pain in the *** to do.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.