Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tanking class comparison?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Tanking class comparison?

Darthlimey
12.14.2011 , 01:41 AM | #1
Hey all, I'm trying to decide what to roll once my early access kicks in, and I'm looking for input. I've only played a single beta weekend of TOR, Jedi Knight to about level 11, so I don't know how other classes compare, or what they're like closer to end-game.

My experience: 5 years of WoW, all as a feral druid main, primarily tank in 5s and 10s, DPS in 25s, along with some tanking on warrior and death knight. I loved my druid because I could do just about everything just by swapping gear and spec, had stealth and mobility and AMAZING soloing/survivability. Dying in the open world meant that I tried to solo a 5-man quest that seriously was a 5-man quest, and even then I had a chance of escape. It was typically a great tank, except for a slightly lacking toolkit, and could do (at times very) competitive DPS.

I currently don't care about Alliance or Sith, although in WoW I hated Alliance for their playerbase, overpopulation, and the goody-two-shoes writing. I don't know if those will be factors in TOR. I don't really PVP, either.

I'm intent on leveling with the intention of tanking at max-level (and presumably along the way). Ideally at end-game I'd like to do the same off-tank/DPS on single-tank fights role that I had as Feral, if such a thing exists. For pre-end-game, definite will be tanking, because it's the only way to get a competent tank. I'm not sure about ranged tanks, although if they're vastly better than melee, what the hell I can give it a shot I guess. But I think I'd enjoy melee tanks better. If anyone would like to give some input on the tanking-capable classes they've played so far, and what you think sounds like a good fit, I'd be greatly appreciative. Cheers!

Toogeloo
12.14.2011 , 01:52 AM | #2
From what I've read and heard in the open beta weekends, Tanking seems to go Powertech/Vanguard > Assassin/Shadow > Juggernaut/Guardian. Powertech/Vanguard is supposedly pretty ezmode tanking, while Juggernaut/Guardian lacks alot of the tools the other tanks have and has lower dps.

I imagine it won't stay that way forever, and I honestly couldn't tell you how accurate the above is. Just stating what I have seen said by other players.

Amarath
12.14.2011 , 03:32 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Toogeloo View Post
From what I've read and heard in the open beta weekends, Tanking seems to go Powertech/Vanguard > Assassin/Shadow > Juggernaut/Guardian. Powertech/Vanguard is supposedly pretty ezmode tanking, while Juggernaut/Guardian lacks alot of the tools the other tanks have and has lower dps.

I imagine it won't stay that way forever, and I honestly couldn't tell you how accurate the above is. Just stating what I have seen said by other players.
Pretty much spot on.
All of the tanks , tank well, not all of them threat well. VG/PT threat very well, ***/shadow do also.

FeroXs
12.14.2011 , 04:20 AM | #4
Aside from the comments above; the main differences are the mechanics behind the abilities. Juggernauts "build" points that are used for abilities, Assassins use their regenerative force as their resource and powertechs have to manage their heat (gaining it and getting rid of it).

Juggernauts are definitively a lot more single target orientated whereas Assassins have a lot of AoE and CCs at their disposal. Powertechs, although "ranged" have to be in close range to use the majority of their tanking abilities but do have a few abilities that help position mobs or increase movement speed. They also have decent AoE I believe.

Just pick the one that you think you will enjoy.

entropyboy
12.14.2011 , 04:22 AM | #5
or...

play all the tanks to 15 and then see which play-style you liked best.

choosing the tank that is best right now is foolish. numbers will constantly change.

Heezdedjim
12.14.2011 , 05:33 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Darthlimey View Post
My experience: 5 years of WoW, all as a feral druid main, primarily tank in 5s and 10s, DPS in 25s, along with some tanking on warrior and death knight. I loved my druid because I could do just about everything just by swapping gear and spec, had stealth and mobility and AMAZING soloing/survivability. Dying in the open world meant that I tried to solo a 5-man quest that seriously was a 5-man quest, and even then I had a chance of escape. It was typically a great tank, except for a slightly lacking toolkit, and could do (at times very) competitive DPS.
I think the biggest difference you will find is it will be harder to find one spec that does more than one thing well, at least in raids, and particularly at endgame. The PvE side of the game is very much scripted around toons that are fully specced in their designated role, and those that aren't fully specced will perform poorly. So you might have two tanks in a raid, but both will need to be tank specced in order to work. You'll have a harder time swapping from tanking to doing DPS on the fly without a respec, and respecs get more expensive each time you do one, so they're not a sustainable way to change roles long term.

That said, all classes with tank specs are equal; though as others have noted, some are more equal than others when it comes to learning curve and options for how you have to play the toon in order to be effective. Based on the things you said you liked about your Druid, I'm guessing you might find SI:Assassin most appealing; it's all around the most flexible class in the game at this point, since it can stealth, main tank, and DPS (though again, it can't do all those things at the same time, and switching between them will require a respec).

I would not think you can decide between them by 15 if your primary concern is with endgame tanking; with only 5 talent points you won't even get past tier 1 on any spec, let alone start to build out your core tanking powers. I would look to the guides written by some of the long term beta players to get a better idea how the different tanks will play at endgame.

There are posts in the JC:Shadow and SI:Assassin forums with a huge amount of detailed info on how these classes play as tanks (these seem to be overall the most heavily played tank specs during beta, if the extent of information on them produced by beta players is any indication). There was at one time a good general primer on tanking around here; we can only hope at some point the author will repost it.

Aiinna
12.14.2011 , 06:44 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by entropyboy View Post
or...

play all the tanks to 15 and then see which play-style you liked best.

choosing the tank that is best right now is foolish. numbers will constantly change.
Shadow gets "into" tanking at lvl 20 ish

:P
I tried to forget, I tried SO HARD to forget.

Snyperx
12.14.2011 , 07:58 AM | #8
Played a couple rounds of Beta, done the research, watched Twitch and other stuff.. this is the nuts and bolts of it:

If you like WoW, then 2 comparisons I got is the Knights tanking AC/Tree is like Warrior and Rage mechanics and KC Shadow is like Pally with Rogue energy mechanics (although Pally's mana jumps up and down when tanking anyways) with a DK's Death Grip. Both capable, both mitigation, but the KC uses Force to shield himself more and the Knight uses its raw power and equipment.

Now, the Trooper is a slightly different beast, as you can gain threat from a distance, but your strongest DD and threat mechanics come into play really at close range, as Stock Strike becomes a huge threat ability that is constantly in your rotation. You have ammo, and the faster you fly through it, the slower the regain of it, so the resource management is fickle, but fun. Think of Vanguard more like a DK, even has the Death Grip too. The "Death and Decay" unfortunately needs to be from 5 to 30 yards and is a channel (need to get it out quick to make it worth it), BUT, yeah, pull with it if you wish before the trash start aggroing you. BUT now they are more like a War in it's mitigation, as no tank gets away with avoidance as a primary stat, Trooper does also shield.

Obviously the mirrors are the same, except Bounty Hunters' ammo is actually in reverse as Heat, but you watch it the same way and it acts the same, just adds color to the bar instead of taking it away.

This game is different, but this is the closest you'll get to comparisons. It's more about how you like your resource, how you see yourself looking and your play style. I myself LOVE Con.
< Modified >
Republic Hardcore PvE Progression | World PvP Domination Guild
Website | Forum Thread | Guild HQ