Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why is there a copy protection system in the graphics, and is it crippling the game?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why is there a copy protection system in the graphics, and is it crippling the game?

shananigan
01.11.2012 , 05:02 PM | #691
Quote: Originally Posted by Kiwimeister View Post
Which ever comes first.....in this case...to me....Cause and effect aren't as important as Solution...and a speedy one at that!

Edit
Wait this was a stupid thing to say....Cause and effect are as important as the Solution....an ignorant fool or a sleep deprived person would say such a thing.... im defiantly the latter! lol
LOL get some sleep this problem wont be fixed for a while, no need to harm yourself over it.
Do or do not, there is no try.

skyvortex
01.11.2012 , 05:20 PM | #692
What would this do to the client size? I would bet a huge amount on top of an already big client.
Quote: Originally Posted by Nizdeb View Post
I want to punch you in the face Skyvortex

LeSamourai
01.11.2012 , 05:24 PM | #693
Quote: Originally Posted by Dire-Wolf View Post
This thread makes me sad. To find out that the game will never look as good during normal play as it does during cutscenes sucks. I'd honestly rather have the game consistently look the same through both normal play and cutscenes then being teased with these awesome high res textures everytime I talk to an npc.

I also don't understand why we can't have high res textures. I mean I read the explantion as to why but the thing is there are other mmo's out there with better graphics and higher resolution textures that run just fine. Plus those mmo's aren't as sharded as much as TOR is so you've got far more people playing in the same instances then you do in this game.

I love this game but I'm currently thinking I would have much prefered a Kotor 3 with multiplayer elements then an mmo at this point.
I honestly don't understand why they can't have a "slider" for effects/other players, that would allow the user to have their OWN character be hi-res, and everyone else be set at a pre-determined level (name only, ultra-low, low, high-with a warning about system requirements)
meh, I just want to play SWTOR

Everi
01.11.2012 , 05:25 PM | #694
I'm not a real tech savvy person but from what I could understand from the OP and others is that: This was a bad move.
This better not suck.

Kiwimeister
01.11.2012 , 05:37 PM | #695
Quote: Originally Posted by shananigan View Post
LOL get some sleep this problem wont be fixed for a while, no need to harm yourself over it.
Cant....Someone has to build these god forsaken systems at work!
Everything Eventually comes to an end....Not even the Dragon Balls can last forever!

Incendergel
01.11.2012 , 05:46 PM | #696
Just to clarify because someone cried foul a couple pages back. When people talk about the remote render or this possible second dll or process we are not assuming it is doing actual remote rendering per say. Meaning the primary process on our desktop / client to some remote Bioware server process and then back. Remote, distrubted, etc. I am pretty sure most of us are not implying that at all.

However what we are asking about the textures and this so-called second process that is running on your computer (start the game, enter game, escape to your desktop while still logged in, start task manager, and look at the processes running - you will see two). It appears that they are linked regardless of ones own personal opinion - again, task manager and look at the chains - they are talking.

Anything that makes a call to another process is a performance hit. No different than the number of hops it takes your desktops client request to make it to the Bioware server that the client is talking to.

I'd also like to point out that no one is saying this is in fact the de-facto problem. People are asking why are there two process, why are they communicating, and why on God's green earth are we not letting the end user dictate what textures they want to run.

For God's sake man, this is 2012! All of us have more compute than what we need...

SkateOnTrees
01.11.2012 , 06:03 PM | #697
It's kinda funny this is probably the thing that I will unsub for

Not the countless other issues ive managed to look past

Vikassi
01.11.2012 , 06:11 PM | #698
Wow, nice post ... How did you come across this info?

Nonameperson
01.11.2012 , 06:21 PM | #699
Bump this.

StephenReid
01.11.2012 , 06:33 PM | #700
Everyone, after discussion with the client team I'd like this rampant speculation (and in some cases, scaremongering) to stop now, please. After this post I'll be locking this thread to prevent further confusion.

Letís give you a few details gathered from discussion with the client team:

- We are not using any form of 'remote rendering' as has been suggested in this thread. Nothing is being pushed from 'server farms' or anything similar. The research paper linked to in the original post is not related in any way to any aspect of our game client.

- The game client uses two processes that talk to each other. They do not communicate outside of your PC.

- None of these processes are for copy protection of any kind.

- The size of the client dropped during Game Testing as we optimized the client size, removing files that were not being used by the game, but were still in the client. This is a completely normal process for a game in development. With many people needing to download the game, obviously itís in our interest to reduce the client size where we can.

Iíd also like to state, for the record, that none of what is being discussed here is related to our texture rendering in-game. While I understand the temptation to try to connect two different things, it doesn't apply here.

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this.