Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

01.11.2012 , 05:42 PM | #211
Quote: Originally Posted by Amikae View Post
This is going to get out of hand if BioWare/EA don't respond in the next day or two.
They did respond. Do folks not read?

01.11.2012 , 05:42 PM | #212
Wow, this is really disappointing, but not surprising. Considering that the game has performance issues already even on high-end PCs, I knew there was no way they could allow high-quality character textures without incurring major complaints about performance. SR says a lot of stuff in his post, but the bottom line is that the game's engine is not good enough to offer better quality graphics.

I'm going to say what I think a lot of people are probably thinking: the SWTOR engine sucks. I don't use the word "sucks" often. In fact, I think that's the first time I typed that word on these forums. But that's how I feel about it. In its current form, SWTOR is a technical lemon. The story, sound and voiceover is awesome, but the limitations of the engine (not only graphics, but also issues with clunky gameplay and bugs) are severely holding the game back.

The good news is it's an MMO, and they can improve it. But they really have a lot of work to do to get the game up to par.

01.11.2012 , 05:43 PM | #213
Quote: Originally Posted by wewter View Post

Here's a post that somebody had included from the massively.joystiq page talking about this issue -- someone linked this paper which discusses what is essentially copyright-protection via remote 3d rendering. Having flipped through it a little bit, the specific details involved in "remote rendering" have caught my eye, and I'm looking at it a bit more before I hop to any conclusions.

I HIGHLY recommend everyone taking a look at that paper ... as there are some pictures that certainly scare me re: the texture issue on there... (client-side vs. server-side resolution, for example)

This is getting thrown around a lot, and it begs the question. Isn't this something that can be tested by watching the internet connection with wireshark or something? Not really my area, but it seems to be in the realm of possible...unless they are also encrypting it too

01.11.2012 , 05:43 PM | #214
One possibility is that the texture atlas is used to reduce loading screen times (SWTOR likely loads the majority of it's textures on zone-in rather than on-the-fly)?

01.11.2012 , 05:43 PM | #215
Quote: Originally Posted by Veryth View Post
I hope people realize that if it was being rendered on remote servers, over the internet, the moment you lost your internet connection, you wouldn't see anything new and would be stuck on the same, degraded, or blank, screen?

I also hope that people realize that this is not the case...
It can get confusing but remote doesn't necessarily mean over the internet, it could be a locally hosted server, which some suspect is the purpose of the second swtor.exe process.

Also with caching there wouldn't necessarily be an immediate blackout or disconnect.

01.11.2012 , 05:44 PM | #216
Quote: Originally Posted by ZaruenMakai View Post
were all playing the game instead of spending 400 posts complaining about something thats not happening any time soon. Its a let down, but we wont let it bring us down.
We continue to play cuz we appreciate the game for what it is.
Quite possibly the dumbest post I've seen.

While not game-breaking, you're looking at a game that set in comparison to other games, ten years older, look better than what this does. And performs better. I'd suggest you look a few pages back and have a look at how the game was promoted, and what was actually sold. I feel cheated, and rightfully so.

They are infact limiting the game's graphics cause "supposedly" the majority of the community run this game on low-end pc's.

The fact that we're not even given a choice is beyond ridiculous. And the fact that you're accepting this makes you look like a muppet.
-50 Nhine / Assassin
-50 Nhine / Sage

Sort the textures out!

01.11.2012 , 05:44 PM | #217
Anyway, whatever the cause/problem or case is for this whole deal, i really hope they give us the option for higher res textures at some point, preferably sometimes not so far away.

01.11.2012 , 05:44 PM | #218
Quote: Originally Posted by Jedi_Scout View Post
What they said is not acceptable. We do not accept to have these garbage textures in a 2012 game with a 300 million budget. Kay? They need to respond, that they are going to fix this RIGHT NOW, because soon there won't be anyone to respond to.

01.11.2012 , 05:44 PM | #219
Quote: Originally Posted by Jedi_Scout View Post
They PR spinned.

01.11.2012 , 05:44 PM | #220
I hate this low-res texture issue as much as you guys and I'm most likely not resubbing for a while until a fix is made (even a self + companion option would suffice for me).

But let's stay logical guys, the idea of a remote-rendering method for a GAME with a high volume of people is just ludicrous, that Stanford model is not applicable to gaming environments.