Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

commy-
01.11.2012 , 05:39 PM | #201
Quote: Originally Posted by Caonimah View Post
Because they disabled them so our clients wouldn't blow up in fleet with another 150 people in screen jumping around??????

Seriously, there is no way that the game is downloading these textures on the fly. The amount of data being transmitted when the servers were at their capacity would have clogged even the mightiest line. It also doesn't explain why a slow connection speed would load the game about as fast as any other computer.
Uh.. what. You think the game downloads textures on the fly..?

Lemon_King
01.11.2012 , 05:40 PM | #202
Quote: Originally Posted by Zezel View Post
http://graphics.stanford.edu/papers/protected/

Look familar to the game screenshots?
Wrong Tree, wrong technique.
The assets for the game are in the TOR files, as people have already extracted them. (Look around Xentax)

What your looking at is a renderer on a network that holds the data for gheometry and sends it to a client over a network to display.

What we have a Renderer Separate from the Main Game Process on the Same Machine that Renders the Display for the Game.

Perram
01.11.2012 , 05:40 PM | #203
Wow,

Bioware I'm ashamed of you!

To hand us that load of lies is beyond compare. I'm not even sure I want to play your game anymore.

This wasn't a bug. There is more than enough proof of that fact.

Fix it, or loose all credibility.

grezgorz
01.11.2012 , 05:40 PM | #204
Quote: Originally Posted by Amikae View Post
This is going to get out of hand if BioWare/EA don't respond in the next day or two.
Agreed, and I have a bad feeling as it took 3 days to come up with that pile of gobbledy**** that SR posted today.

Proto
01.11.2012 , 05:40 PM | #205
I think I'm going to be sick. This is the last thing I was expecting to hear from Bioware: a lie.

I really don't know what to say except I'm gone in 1 week. Forget it. There is no way in hell I'm going to play a 2012 MMO that has the texture quality of World of Warcraft when I saw high-res nice textures in Beta.

I'm not going to stand here and be straight-up lied to.

SucXeviouS
01.11.2012 , 05:40 PM | #206
Quote: Originally Posted by commy- View Post
Uh.. what. You think the game downloads textures on the fly..?
nooo we all download the textures when we are in the game-.-

thats why we have 20GB on the HDD just for nothing LOLD

Diamond_life
01.11.2012 , 05:40 PM | #207
Quote: Originally Posted by ZaruenMakai View Post
were all playing the game instead of spending 400 posts complaining about something thats not happening any time soon. Its a let down, but we wont let it bring us down.
We continue to play cuz we appreciate the game for what it is.
YEAH! THATS THE RIGHT ATTITUDE! BioWare is lieing to us and copy protects a MMORPG and we should just go on and pay the fees. I...

don't...

think ...

so.

wewter
01.11.2012 , 05:41 PM | #208
http://uninsubria.academia.edu/Marco...mote_rendering

Here's a post that somebody had included from the massively.joystiq page talking about this issue -- someone linked this paper which discusses what is essentially copyright-protection via remote 3d rendering. Having flipped through it a little bit, the specific details involved in "remote rendering" have caught my eye, and I'm looking at it a bit more before I hop to any conclusions.

I HIGHLY recommend everyone taking a look at that paper ... as there are some pictures that certainly scare me re: the texture issue on there... (client-side vs. server-side resolution, for example)

yikes!

Veryth
01.11.2012 , 05:41 PM | #209
Quote: Originally Posted by SucXeviouS View Post
Quoted from massively user Deliverator:

Massively - what you missed is that the High Rez textures worked fine in the Beta. For release, they implemented REMOTE RENDERING. What's actually happening is that they can't handle the network traffic generated by remotely rendering higher rez textures.
I hope people realize that if it was being rendered on remote servers, over the internet, the moment you lost your internet connection, you wouldn't see anything new and would be stuck on the same, degraded, or blank, screen?

I also hope that people realize that this is not the case...

Malist
01.11.2012 , 05:41 PM | #210
Typically these vicious, mouth foaming, swarm posts have at least 1 fanboy that breaks up every 3 negative posts with his rainbow gun. Oddly enough I don't see any of that here, very few. Guess that shows how many people are really confused with this. I know I am - I just don't get it. Real answers would be swell.
The Darkforge Legacy - Ebon Hawk