Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why the Prequel Trilogy was TERRIBLE, right here!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Why the Prequel Trilogy was TERRIBLE, right here!

Esanthus
01.11.2012 , 12:04 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Seductivpancakes View Post
It boils down to a matter of opinion.

I'm a star wars fan, and I like all 6 of the films. Some more then others, but I don't hate any of them.
Don't worry man I'm right there with you. I enjoy all 6 of the films. But of course, The Empire Strikes Back is my favorite, 2nd is the Revenge of the Sith.

Seductivpancakes
01.11.2012 , 12:08 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
Art direction is good. I do have a problem with CG but that's my opinion

As for the story no it's bad Phantom Meance doesn't even follow even a basic story structure and in all of the films the Characters constanlty do things that is out of character for them.

Obi Wan tells Anakin he needs to be patient and not rush into things then he is the one who Jumps out a window to hang onto an assasin droid.

There films are also plauged with plot holes and major plot points that leave the audience going "WHAT?????" Which fans respond with "Oh you have to read the book or you have to know about this"

A movie should be able to stand on it's own espeically if George Lucas wants people to watch them in the order of 1-6 not 4-6 then 1-3.
There's no such thing as a bad story. Written work goes hand and hand with "art", which is subjective.

I would just say Obi Wan can do it cause he is still the more experience of the two and knows he can handle and knows Anakin will follow him for back up. After all, the Master and padawan needs to be a dynamic duo if they plan on completing missions together while one is still in training.

Well, so basically, you're telling me only Star wars fans have the potential to appreciate the movies in all aspects. Sounds appropriate to me.

jarjarloves
01.11.2012 , 12:15 PM | #13
There's no such thing as a bad story. Written work goes hand and hand with "art", which is subjective.

I would just say Obi Wan can do it cause he is still the more experience of the two and knows he can handle and knows Anakin will follow him for back up. After all, the Master and padawan needs to be a dynamic duo if they plan on completing missions together while one is still in training.

Well, so basically, you're telling me only Star wars fans have the potential to appreciate the movies in all aspects. Sounds appropriate to me.
no there is defently a thing called a bad story

Go read Full Life Consequences. I would link it myself but i'm at work and it's not liking the link.

Or watch The Happening, The Spirit, Birdemic, Troll 2, The Room and many many more.

Also no not just Star Wars Fans have the potential to like the prequels. My niece and nephew both like it. Plus most Star Wars fans actually don't like it hence the huge backlash against it.

You are also still not understanding the entire character of Obi Wan. Through out the entire 6 movies he is caustios and patient except for those poorly written scenes where he goes against his character.

edit: Also there is NO plot in the Phantom Meance to begin with. I challange you to tell me what the Plot is, Who is the Protaginist, and who is the Antagonist.

Mechavomit
01.11.2012 , 12:18 PM | #14
There can bad storytelling, flat, uninterresting characters, lack of conflict, no development, so on.. There are rules to art too.

I personally wouldn't expect a modern (lets count the prequels as modern) Star Wars film to follow all storytelling canons, to have complicated character development an so on.. It's like we should already be familliar with those characters. Sure, Qui-Gon seems very flat if you watch him in the movies, but if you actually go and read about him in the EU, you realize he is quite interresting (even though the EU doesn't exist for Lucas..)

Doriath
01.11.2012 , 12:24 PM | #15
....... not really. From a technical, story and acting perspective no they are horrible.

From an entertainment perspective sure it's a matter of opinion if you like them.
Its always a matter of opinion.As I see it,the only real issue i ever had with the prequels is midichlorians,and acting(while lame at a couple points,I blame Hayden Christensen)was not bad at all and I honestly found the acting beter than the original trilogy..
Are you seriously suggesting sir, something sinister sounding circumstantially surrounding some scissors?!

jarjarloves
01.11.2012 , 12:27 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Doriath View Post
Its always a matter of opinion.As I see it,the only real issue i ever had with the prequels is midichlorians,and acting(while lame at a couple points,I blame Hayden Christensen)was not bad at all and I honestly found the acting beter than the original trilogy..
well like I said. Liking the movie IS a matter of opinion as is if you find it fun and entertaining.

However the Quality of it IS NOT a matter of opinion as there are components of it that can actually be measured. Such as story, effects, acting, so on and so on.

Mechavomit
01.11.2012 , 12:37 PM | #17
well like I said. Liking the movie IS a matter of opinion as is if you find it fun and entertaining.

However the Quality of it IS NOT a matter of opinion as there are components of it that can actually be measured. Such as story, effects, acting, so on and so on.
Well, that is 100% true, considering there is a thing called Twilight... ugh.

Seductivpancakes
01.11.2012 , 12:46 PM | #18
Phantom Menace

Plot: Stop the invasion of a innocent planet from that is instigated by the Sith who wish to destroy the Jedi and the Republic.

The whole war was the main plot. Saving the planet from the Trade Federation.

Everything in between, like Darth Sideous and Darth Maul's actions, as well as the finding of Anakin Skywalker is to built up for the rest of the movies to follow up to complete the sequel trilogy of star wars.

I figured this out when I was in 7th grade by the way, long before I considered myself a "star wars fan"

Granted, this was probably better for a book then an actual movie.

And no, as long as someone likes something that is considered art, there's no such thing as bad art. I also dislike Twilight but a lot of people seem to like it, who am I to say that Twilight is a POS as if it was a fact.

malevolunze
01.11.2012 , 12:47 PM | #19
Paging Mr Plinkett

RandalFlagg
01.11.2012 , 12:50 PM | #20
Thanks to Red Letter Media I dont even consider the prequels part of the Star Wars Universe anymore. Everything that was stated in those reviews are %100 truth. To me, the only reason those movies were even made was to bulk up George Lucas' bank account.

.... Look what he did with Indiana Jones.
"First comes smiles, then comes lies. Last is gunfire."