Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why is there a copy protection system in the graphics, and is it crippling the game?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why is there a copy protection system in the graphics, and is it crippling the game?

YooYooMa
01.11.2012 , 08:05 AM | #61
Quote: Originally Posted by Deamor View Post
This is not confirmed. This is just speculation.
It's not like there's much in the game keeping me engaged. It's more a pity re-subscription with blind hope for future improvement.

Pyretechnic
01.11.2012 , 08:06 AM | #62
This better be a tin hat conspiracy theory. Otherwise....

Tiron_Raptor
01.11.2012 , 08:06 AM | #63
Quote: Originally Posted by Chuckskyline View Post
Could it be that they are going to have third parties to work on their system/build?

I think that would be a valid reason why they are doing this (if they are)..
Only if they were working exclusively on the client...I don't know why they would though, they got plenty of staff themselves.
One day my body will be able to take my brain out in public without it embarrassing us.

gabrielhead
01.11.2012 , 08:07 AM | #64
There are other issues i fear this is causing. some aspect of this game is using all my cores in a very normal way, 35% over all 4 (I5 2500) while another aspect is driving core one to a constant 100% Some aspect of this game is causing my GPU to spike to 90 degrees, when Skyrim 1900 x 1080 on high runs at 75 max (yes vsync is on at 60fps). I need Bioware to assure me that they aren't killing my video card. I doubt sony wants a class action with a $300.00 + payout per plaintiff.

Im not speculating on what this system is or isn't doing. I want to know for sure what its doing, and i want to know if bioware thinks its working correctly. Then i want someone geekier than me to confirm.

Granrick
01.11.2012 , 08:08 AM | #65
I'm not one to look for conspiracies, but this is the first thread about "bad things" that actually caught my interest. It'll be interesting to see if BW responds and sheds some light on the details of this process.

drbaltazar
01.11.2012 , 08:08 AM | #66
ok if this is right and it send data from the main server is ea/bioware making use of this:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=vs.85).aspx

i am asking cause a lot of us disabled this feature because almost non aside from ms ever planned to make use of this feature ,if they do indeed optimised swtor with remote differential compression i will gladly activate it if this game take advantage of it?

Chuckskyline
01.11.2012 , 08:08 AM | #67
Quote: Originally Posted by Tiron_Raptor View Post
Only if they were working exclusively on the client...I don't know why they would though, they got plenty of staff themselves.
I read in a different thread that they were going to hire a 3rd party dev team to help with some of build.

Which would make sense to copyright everything so they can not steal the info...perhaps when they are done?

Of course all speculation.

Tiron_Raptor
01.11.2012 , 08:09 AM | #68
Quote: Originally Posted by gabrielhead View Post
There are other issues i fear this is causing. some aspect of this game is using all my cores in a very normal way, 35% over all 4 (I5 2500) while another aspect is driving core one to a constant 100% Some aspect of this game is causing my GPU to spike to 90 degrees, when Skyrim 1900 x 1080 on high runs at 75 max (yes vsync is on at 60fps). I need Bioware to assure me that they aren't killing my video card. I doubt sony wants a class action with a $300.00 + payout per plaintiff.

Im not speculating on what this system is or isn't doing. I want to know for sure what its doing, and i want to know if bioware thinks its working correctly. Then i want someone geekier than me to confirm.
Sony isn't involved...that was SWG.

If I had to guess, I'd say the 100% core could be indicative that the second process DOES have a software renderer...if it's single-threaded (that would be just beyond the pale)

Quote: Originally Posted by drbaltazar View Post
ok if this is right and it send data from the main server is ea/bioware making use of this:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=vs.85).aspx

i am asking cause a lot of us disabled this feature because almost non aside from ms ever planned to make use of this feature ,if they do indeed optimised swtor with remote differential compression i will gladly activate it if this game take advantage of it?
I haven't seen anything to suggest this at all, all we've got anything on so far is remote RENDERING, not remote differential compression.
One day my body will be able to take my brain out in public without it embarrassing us.

myrmexaw
01.11.2012 , 08:09 AM | #69
go download netlimiter 3 and watch the second process ... it never access internet even during loading time so the only remote processing possible would be on 127.0.0.1 and that would be juts dumb... the amount of data able to pass trough the botttleneck that this create versus cpu--> gpu is astonishingly immense.

The game loading zone are eating twice as much bandwidth than even 8v8 pvp (i would check ilum but dead server is dead).

It's really odd during loading zone it stays at low download ( 5k/sec) then at the infamous30% mark ( where the small icon on the bottom right restart turning) it jump to 55k/sec for the reminder of the loading bar. This does seem to indicate transfer of texture in betwen the server and the client as there is absolutely nothing that require a 50k/sec bandwidth gameplay wise... Unless they reload the whole client database at EVERY loading zone... and even then.

TheHauntingBard
01.11.2012 , 08:10 AM | #70
Quote: Originally Posted by Pyretechnic View Post
This better be a tin hat conspiracy theory. Otherwise....
Haha indeed, it sounds logical but it would be incredibly stupid.
If it's true ouch.
Stephen Reid - 9:02a.m. - January 11th 2012 - because in reality, there was never supposed to be a 'Medium' choice - that was a bug.