Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why is there a copy protection system in the graphics, and is it crippling the game?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why is there a copy protection system in the graphics, and is it crippling the game?

Agarwaenn
01.11.2012 , 07:18 AM | #11
See Stephen's response in the other post about this:

Quote:
Hey all, I am here to apologize again... the good news is we have a draft of our response (you might be able to guess it's not a sentence or two) but I am circulating it internally to ensure my technical details are correct.

To give you an insight into our process here... as the Community team does with most big replies, I tracked down a variety of people on our client and art teams to get the facts on how the game works before putting the post together. As I'm representing those teams publicly, I want to ensure they're happy with what I'm saying on their behalf before I post it. They're busy people, so I'm just waiting on their sign-off right now.

I appreciate your patience and assuming we have sign-off this evening, you'll get our response tomorrow. If not, I accept the incoming rotten eggs.
Hopefully we will get a good, technical answer later today.

Tiron_Raptor
01.11.2012 , 07:21 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Agarwaenn View Post
See Stephen's response in the other post about this:

Hopefully we will get a good, technical answer later today.
Unfortunately that was just about the TEXTURES. The textures discussion brought the remote renderer to light, but it isn't purely a texture issue.

The forthcoming explanation may or may not address the remote rendering, since it's directly specifically at the fact that the high res textures have apparently been disabled, and the options being changed to disguise that.

I speculate that the remote rendering could be a factor, but I'm guessing it won't get a full treatment. and it needs a full treatment of its own.
One day my body will be able to take my brain out in public without it embarrassing us.

Veluthurk
01.11.2012 , 07:24 AM | #13
Do I need a tinfoil hat to participate?

DarthQube
01.11.2012 , 07:28 AM | #14
i am by deffinition not a pc tech guy...but doing this could actually ruin the game expierence and this cost them subs...

strange thing this thread is yes. the force be weak in them for doing this
Qube - Trooper Vanguard
aqwer - Jedi Sage

Cioffaz
01.11.2012 , 07:28 AM | #15
Keep this topic going please, it's very interesting

So, we're going to split the money 50/50, right?

Refer me pls!

Sparckus
01.11.2012 , 07:29 AM | #16
Iinteresting, lets see what BW say in their texture statement.

DarthQube
01.11.2012 , 07:30 AM | #17
it sure is , i myself dont have alot of problems with the performance issue's. i can understand ppl with lesser PC's are actually being held from playing by the makers of this game...wichis offcourse pretty stupid and absurd :/
Qube - Trooper Vanguard
aqwer - Jedi Sage

Halja
01.11.2012 , 07:31 AM | #18
It's curious that they would resort to something like this for copy protection at all, if indeed that is what it is for.

Would need to know what is actually being done with this, but i'm very interested to see what its actually doing.
"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle"

Jaan'car Ashan - 50 Shadow - Swiftsure

TheTurniipKing
01.11.2012 , 07:31 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthQube View Post
it sure is , i myself dont have alot of problems with the performance issue's. i can understand ppl with lesser PC's are actually being held from playing by the makers of this game...wichis offcourse pretty stupid and absurd :/
Actually, by the sounds of it, this could actually go a long way to making the game MORE playable on lesser PCs, since the strain of rendering is on the internet connection, and not the local graphics card.

Tiron_Raptor
01.11.2012 , 07:32 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Veluthurk View Post
Do I need a tinfoil hat to participate?
No, but it helps.

Honestly, I would really prefer it if I was wrong... If it turns out to be true it could generate a ton of bad press and flat out kill the game. For the most part, it's a really good game.

Quote: Originally Posted by TheTurniipKing View Post
Actually, by the sounds of it, this could actually go a long way to making the game MORE playable on lesser PCs, since the strain of rendering is on the internet connection, and not the local graphics card.
SOME of the rendering: what I've seen so far sounds like it's mostly or entirely the character models it's affecting. Your computer still has to splice the different bits together.

Additionally, it's possible that the remote renderer is in fact the second swtor.exe process that runs when the game is open: the assets could still be on the server, sent to the second process in what they consider to be a secure way, securely unpacked, rendered, and sent over to the other process (the actual client).

Several of the methods listed in the research paper outlining it admit to having substantial performance hits, and the first listed and also touted as the most secure is...software rendering. If the second process was software rendering parts of the gameworld and remoting it over to the client, that could explain some of the apparent CPU related problems as well.
One day my body will be able to take my brain out in public without it embarrassing us.