Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

(L,F&e #12) Knight Justice

kalenath
01.11.2012 , 05:04 AM | #11
Oreana stood, with only a small flutter in her stomach, as the Jedi Council filed into the room. Vandar winked at her and she felt better. What made her feel even better was that Nia stood beside her. She wasn’t sure about a lot of things. She wasn’t sure where she stood with the Jedi, the Sith, the Republic, the Empire, her past, her future. All she was sure of was Nia’s support. And, strangely, that was enough; for the moment anyway. All of the Jedi sat at once and then a female Jedi stood up. Oreana hid a quiver as she recognized Master Jina Darkstorm. The woman who had killed her master. Master Jina spoke, calm and cool.

“The council has deliberated. Do you have anything further to say, Oreana Devich?” Oreana shook her head, and flinched a bit as her lekku hit one another.

There HAS to be a way to keep from doing that…

Master Jina spoke again. “Oreana Devich, you have killed many. Including Jedi. But your actions were not selfish; you served your people, not yourself. You sacrificed yourself for your people, and in doing so, you prevented a catastrophe. What might have happened if Darth Creon had ascended the Emperor’s throne we may never know, but of what we knew of him, it would not have been good, for any. Empire or Republic. The Council is agreed. You acted in service to all. Therefore, it is the will of this Council that you go free. We will keep an eye on you.” Jina's eyes sparkled at that and Oreana’s mouth dropped open. She shut it with a click. “May the Force be with you Oreana Devich.” Master Jina sat back down and Nia had to guide the stunned Twilek out of the council chamber.

<Later>

Oreana sat in her cell and tried to get her mind around what had just happened. Nia sat with her and they both were in meditation pose. But Oreana could not focus her mind. She finally shook her head and opened her eyes. Nia’s eyes were on her.

“I don’t understand.” Oreana said quietly. “I know Jedi do not kill their prisoners, but… let me go? Are they insane?”

“No. they are pragmatic.” Oreana looked at Nia and Nia smiled, slightly. “Holding you would be difficult if not impossible. You ARE highly skilled.” Oreana’s face flushed, but Nia continued. “They could strip you of the force, but that is cruel. And only the unrepentant or the unredeemable have ever had it happen to them. You are neither.” Oreana shook her head but Nia wasn’t done. “And, they get me out of their hair, since I, for my sins, have been detailed to watch you. And sent away to liaison with the Stormhawk.” Oreana stared at her then shook her head in rueful admiration.

“They get what they want; you get what you want…” She broke off as Nia laughed.
“…And you get what you want. Everyone is happy.” Nia smiled at the look on Oreana’s face. Then her face became serious. “Are you sure you want to be my apprentice? I don’t… I don’t know anything about having an apprentice.”

“My own apprenticeship to Master Brakon was nothing I want to repeat.” Oreana shuddered as she remembered the pain, the fear, the… she broke off that line of thought. It wouldn’t help her now. Nia smiled at her and nodded as she felt Oreana clear her mind.

“There is one thing we need to do. Before we do anything else.” Nia said serious and Oreana looked at her, then nodded. Oreana Devich was dead. “What do you want to be called?” Oreana had actually thought long and hard about this. So when she spoke there was only a small quaver in her voice.

“Call me Dia Ulahadottor.” Nia smiled at her choice and they sat back into meditation, ready to face their future.
My stories in order:
Love, the Force, and Everything Discussion thread here

kalenath
01.11.2012 , 05:05 AM | #12
((OK, thats it for that thread, I hope you all enjoyed that. We will see Nia, Dia, Will and Company again soon. Stay tuned. As always, comments and/or suggestion appreciated. Flames will be answered with Electric Judgement.))

((A big thank you to another for letting me borrow a character named Kirin Starlace. Zelkin helped write and critique this. I hope he remembers it. We posted this back in 2009. You gotta love guest stars. ))
My stories in order:
Love, the Force, and Everything Discussion thread here