Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Here is an interesting thought. Are Operations REALLY competitive and viable content?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Here is an interesting thought. Are Operations REALLY competitive and viable content?

Israel
01.10.2012 , 05:53 PM | #1
HERE is an interesting conversation going on in a forum, asking the very question. Is raiding and competing against other guilds really a worthwhile and valid form of competition or is it really just a farce?

Some interesting thoughts and the argument seems heated. How does this equate in SW:TOR and our community?
!!█!█!█!█[]█!█!!▐!▓▓▓ Achiever: 107%, Killer: 53%, Socializer: 33%, Explorer: 13% ▓▓▓▓)

Ganadorf
01.10.2012 , 05:54 PM | #2
Not in SWTOR, no

8/16m Raids are no Raids at all. It's closer to pretending 5mans in WoW are competitive

ihateyouall
01.10.2012 , 05:54 PM | #3
it means everything to the guild who was first, and nothing to everyone else

Israel
01.10.2012 , 05:55 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Ganadorf View Post
Not in SWTOR, no

8/16m Raids are no Raids at all. It's closer to pretending 5mans in WoW are competitive
But a lot of people in that thread are pretty much saying that raiding in general is stupid. I don't know what to think about that.
!!█!█!█!█[]█!█!!▐!▓▓▓ Achiever: 107%, Killer: 53%, Socializer: 33%, Explorer: 13% ▓▓▓▓)

TheHeadCapper
01.10.2012 , 05:58 PM | #5
I guess i'm from a different generation where we played games to have fun. Competing was left for the real world where you got real rewards.

Now everyone just wants their 'i'm a special snowflake' achievment for playing a game, kinda sad. Achievments, now those are just funny,.
The formula 'two plus two equals five' is not without its attractions

Anilon
01.10.2012 , 06:01 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by TheHeadCapper View Post
I guess i'm from a different generation where we played games to have fun. Competing was left for the real world where you got real rewards.

Now everyone just wants their 'i'm a special snowflake' achievment for playing a game, kinda sad. Achievments, now those are just funny,.
This. So much this. I can't stand how competitive the PvE side of MMO's is becoming. I don't care if someone else has done the raid. I don't care who did it first, last, second, etc. I just want it setup in a manner that everyone has a chance to do the bosses, see the stories, get gear for there character - the things that encompass fun for most MMO players.
Champion Anilon Rintori - Level 50 Gunslinger - Sharpshooter
Nolina Rintori - Level 30 Scoundrel - Sawbones

Ganadorf
01.10.2012 , 06:06 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Israel View Post
But a lot of people in that thread are pretty much saying that raiding in general is stupid. I don't know what to think about that.
Well, this is SWTOR.com, but...

Raiding isn't what it used to be, for any game; it's been dumbed down a lot, in the name of "accessibility" (catering to casuals). This involved making Tiers split up into 2-3 Raids, for those without 9-12 hours a Week in 3-4 hour a night segments to Raid; making the Raids themselves much easier, for casuals; and of course, reducing the size of Raids, to accomodate smaller Raid Teams, PuGs, and those who lack dedication

Sirsri
01.10.2012 , 06:07 PM | #8
All competition is a farce. Professionals who do it, do it to get paid. Sponsorships. There's no deeper meaning to a football going in a goal, an american football crossing a line or a huttball going across a virtual line. It's only what you make of it. Professional gamers (in WoW these are the world first crowds) do it for money. Corporate sponsorships, people who pay for loot etc. They may also be trying to get jobs as professional testers in the games business (though this isn't really a good way to do that). The lead guy on WoW got there by knowing a Blizzard dev in EQ who's guild was really good.

In TOR it remains an open question. Excluding bugs, my guild did our first 8 man normal last night, and we one shotted Bonethrasher, XRR3, Ancient Pylons (bugged once a clickable did nothing), 2 shotted Gharj, and wasted 40 minutes due to someone being bad on Vault of the Infernal one, but we got that after 5 serious attemts and 3 bugged (where an NPC stayed bound to someone it was bound to on a previous attempt). We didn't try the infernal one beyond RUN UP AND HIT HIM! it was too late. Now if that was nightmare modes, there would be no meaning to world firsts, because well, it was lol easy. (That's not a criticism, LOL easy has its place). Where competitive raiding matters is if it's actually a meaningful achievement, and not just that you happened to find a leftover developer "I WIN" button. If you managed some excellent feats of coordination, dps, healing tanking whatever, - if there is some actual strategy and skill set involved that other people can observe and appreciate, then it means as much as any other sport, it's just intellectual not physical, like chess.

Anilon
01.10.2012 , 06:07 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Ganadorf View Post
Well, this is SWTOR.com, but...

Raiding isn't what it used to be, for any game; it's been dumbed down a lot, in the name of "accessibility" (catering to casuals). This involved making Tiers split up into 2-3 Raids, for those without 9-12 hours a Week in 3-4 hour a night segments to Raid; making the Raids themselves much easier, for casuals; and of course, reducing the size of Raids, to accomodate smaller Raid Teams, PuGs, and those who lack dedication
Several things in your post are very derogatory. If you don't find this game a challenge, don't play.

I see in your signature you have cancelled 5 days ago - why are you on the forums? What do you stand to gain from this?
Champion Anilon Rintori - Level 50 Gunslinger - Sharpshooter
Nolina Rintori - Level 30 Scoundrel - Sawbones

TheHeadCapper
01.10.2012 , 06:08 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Anilon View Post
Several things in your post are very derogatory. If you don't find this game a challenge, don't play.

I see in your signature you have cancelled 5 days ago - why are you on the forums? What do you stand to gain from this?
He's been trolling the forums non stop all day for weeks now. It's either a full time job for him or a very sad existence.

Once you put him and two other users on ignore the forums become a lot better.
The formula 'two plus two equals five' is not without its attractions