Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Corwingeorge
01.10.2012 , 04:59 PM | #21
there is literally a minimum .3 second delay on every ability in the game.

if you dont notice it or arent bothered by it, sweet.

Leiloni
01.10.2012 , 05:01 PM | #22
What I'm seeing and hearing from some other players is either bugs that need to be fixed (i.e. a skill not firing at all), or user not knowing how to use the options menu (ability queue, nameplate/secondary cast bar). But seeing some vids, I don't think there is some huge game breaking delay between the cast bar finishing and the damage/healing taking effect. Literally so minute I don't see the issue.
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=1753652#edit1753270

supertouch
01.10.2012 , 05:02 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Putok View Post
I'm not sure about "as intended", a third of a second of delay is still a bit much, IMHO. .2s should be the upper limit, but it certainly isn't as bad as the UI bugs make it appear to be.
well, it's just that the part of the animation that coincides with the effect happens after the casting bar has filled, giving the impression that the effect is delayed. for some reason, it doesn't happen when you spam the ability. the same thing happens with charged burst and underworld medicine but it's not a hindrance as the animation doesn't prevent you from using other abilities. i find it really hard to believe that this is what's causing all the uproar on the forum.

supertouch
01.10.2012 , 05:06 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Putok View Post
I'm not sure about "as intended", a third of a second of delay is still a bit much, IMHO. .2s should be the upper limit, but it certainly isn't as bad as the UI bugs make it appear to be.
can you do me one more favor and make a video of you hitting the ability as fast as possible on a target so that each heal restores hitpoints? i want to see if the animation is accelerated when you use the ability in rapid succession.

LaManoNera
01.10.2012 , 05:07 PM | #25
Messing around on my JK a lot and it seems to me that skill stuttering only happens when you repeatedly hit the same skill button.

I changed my skill queue time to "1" (in the first option in the options menu) and it resulted in much smoother gameplay, as you can have your next skill queued up before the GCD. You just have to train yourself to not mash the key until you see the skill go off
♥ Love ♥
Definition: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope.

Putok
01.10.2012 , 05:13 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by supertouch View Post
can you do me one more favor and make a video of you hitting the ability as fast as possible on a target so that each heal restores hitpoints? i want to see if the animation is accelerated when you use the ability in rapid succession.
Sure just gotta find a group of elites to throw Khem at.

Xcore
01.10.2012 , 05:15 PM | #27
well, it's just that the part of the animation that coincides with the effect happens after the casting bar has filled, giving the impression that the effect is delayed. for some reason, it doesn't happen when you spam the ability. the same thing happens with charged burst and underworld medicine but it's not a hindrance as the animation doesn't prevent you from using other abilities. i find it really hard to believe that this is what's causing all the uproar on the forum.
Supertouch, I have been reading your posts for quite some time now and your absolute Ignorance to this subject is now at the point that it is offensive.
Firstly, it is absolutely and completely unacceptable that animations and/or are not in perfect sync with the ability effect as well as UI. When the effect hits or ability triggers is simply not the only point of contention nor contribution to the feeling of disconnect.

Secondly, this Is a real, now definable, concerning issue with SW:TOR as well as the MMO Genre as a whole. Your continued mockery of this subject is both confusing newer people who are not quite able to pinpoint the source of the disconnect as well as shroud the danger that this really is for SW:TORs success as an MMO.

Lastly, if you are unable to notice any delay and you have NO issue at all playing the game and love it. Please stop posting here OR accept the fact that it is not an easy topic and certainly not easy to define. Quite a lot of people who are not as "competitive" will likely not notice the issue or accept it without seeing the flaw In it.
Followed SW:TOR since 2008...
Played since Early Access
Quit in Feb. 2012
Resubscribed in Feb. 2013 - Currently Evaluating...

supertouch
01.10.2012 , 05:19 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Xcore View Post
Supertouch, I have been reading your posts for quite some time now and it your absolute Ignorance to this subject is now at the point that it is offensive.

Firstly, it is absolutely and completely unacceptable that animations and/or are not in perfect sync with the ability effect as well as UI. When the effect hits or ability triggers is simply not the only point of contention nor contribution to the feeling of disconnect.

Secondly, this Is a real, now definable, concerning issue with SW:TOR as well as the MMO Genre as a whole. Your continued mockery of this subject is both confusing newer people who are not quite able to pinpoint the source of the disconnect as well as shroud the danger that this really is for SW:TORs success as an MMO.

Lastly, if you are unable to notice any delay and you have NO issue at all playing the game and love it. Please stop posting here OR accept the fact that it is not an easy topic and certainly not easy to define. Quite a lot of people who are not as "competitive" will likely not notice the issue or accept it without seeing the flaw In it.
i've said several times that some animations are not in sync with casting bars but that the abilities' effects are, in fact, in sync with the animations. these animations have no bearing on other abilities. go play wow.

Xcore
01.10.2012 , 05:19 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by LaManoNera View Post
Messing around on my JK a lot and it seems to me that skill stuttering only happens when you repeatedly hit the same skill button.

I changed my skill queue time to "1" (in the first option in the options menu) and it resulted in much smoother gameplay, as you can have your next skill queued up before the GCD. You just have to train yourself to not mash the key until you see the skill go off
This is not acceptable in higher level (read: competitive) play, please... this statements from you newer people have been discussed treads ago... Go read...
Quit in Feb. 2012

Xcore
01.10.2012 , 05:22 PM | #30
i've said several times that some animations are not in sync with casting bars but that the abilities' effects are, in fact, in sync with the animations. these animations have no bearing on other abilities. go play wow.
Unbeliveable....
Quit in Feb. 2012