Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Technology has changed...

PartVI
01.10.2012 , 05:00 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Vecke View Post
Of course, the most important reason technology is so similar in the TOR era is so it can still feel like Star Wars to the fans.
This I agree with. However, technology is sort of an accelerating thing and I believe it will go far beyond, with us at least, than what just about anyone can imagine. Think of the theory of a technological singularity. Where we, as a species, use our technology as a ramp up to our next evolutionary phase. Obviously hasn't happened yet in the Star Wars universe, despite huge periods of time with high technology being fairly commonplace.

As an example of the possible progression of technology is the Kardashev Scale. It speculates on the scale of power production/consumption by a civilization.

We're maybe a few hundred years from a Type I, which is using widespread hydrogen fusion to power itself, possibly antimatter-matter annihilation and the possibility of faster than light travel on it's way to Type II. Also note, assimilation into a possible technological singularity would be well underway.

A Type II would be able to harness the power of its entire sun, possibly 2,000-10,000 years in the future and with work in progress to harness other nearby stars in the same way.

A Type III civilization would literally be able to harness the output of an entire galaxy in anywhere from 100,000 to a few million years in the future. It would regard even the entire population of the Star Wars galaxy in much the way we might regard our hands right before washing them. And scour it of life as easily as we might clean the dirt from our fingers - without an iota of effort and even less thought.

That's how much technology can change. But, that stuff only works for actual science fiction and it's more or less agreed that Star Wars isn't -really- science fiction.

Doesn't change the fact that people are going to continue complaining despite every possible argument to the contrary.

Templeman
01.10.2012 , 08:54 AM | #12
Just to be a bit of a nerd. I don't know what weapons world war 3 will be fought with but world war 4 will be with sticks and stones. You bomb a city and cut it off from help and sooner or later its former Ipod using people will find themselves living like little house on the prairie.... horse drawn carriage and all. This pattern has already been established in star wars and tends to be a big motivation for questing, go raid the old weapon factory/starship/tomb... that whole star forge thing?

well...that's how I justify it anyway =D

Lareon
01.10.2012 , 09:02 AM | #13
Remember Star Wars isn't a sci-fi setting, is a space fantasy. Questioning about technology would be like asking why in the Middle Earth Silmarillion character fights with steel swords rather than bronze ones, because that story happened thousand years before Lord of the Rings.
Cake is a lie, there is only passion / Through passion I gain strength / through strength I gain power / through power I gain victory /through victory I gain cookies.
Through cookies my belts are broken and my belly will be free.

Templeman
01.10.2012 , 09:34 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Lareon View Post
Remember Star Wars isn't a sci-fi setting, is a space fantasy. Questioning about technology would be like asking why in the Middle Earth Silmarillion character fights with steel swords rather than bronze ones, because that story happened thousand years before Lord of the Rings.
I think people understand that part and this is more an exercise in justifying why that would be.

Seductivpancakes
01.10.2012 , 09:52 AM | #15
If people want to see some drastic changes in technology involving aesthetics as well as functionality, they should check out the Great Hyper Space war which was around 5000 BBY, when they still widely used slug throwers and the Jedi used proto lightsabers.

Then compare that to TOR.

TekaruPrime
01.10.2012 , 12:14 PM | #16
My response is usually to think of the effects WAR has. I mean, even if their technology has peaked, there should be *some* advances or innovations/evolutions/revolutions now an then. Like a full color hologram communicator, for example, instead of the *same* blue holograms.

BUT when we consider the history of wars, we have no idea what kind of devastation/rebuilding process they have to go through. And things get forgotten or intentionally buried. I mean, how many quests have we played already where we have the option to blow up some computers so that technology doesn't fall in the wrong hands or something like that?

Just saying.

Odinsun
02.08.2012 , 11:51 PM | #17
I don't care how you spin it, but the leap of 3k years and the lack of tech dev makes no sense. All these excuses just don't add up at all. Bioware simply was given a chance to go deep, and they went TOO deep, and now we have a weird situation with the SWU not making sense. Then again, who cares, because the prequels did the same thing.

wesmarshall
02.08.2012 , 11:57 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
The tech may not have changed drastically like were all thinking, or in looks but it has changed in function.
Function > Looks
Maybe the technology has changed; but why hasn't the music? Our music in one nation changes more in one year than the entire galaxies has apparently changed in 3000.
FATMAN
-The Spinkler Legacy-
Spink - Ghust - Spenix

Wolfninjajedi
02.08.2012 , 11:59 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by wesmarshall View Post
Maybe the technology has changed; but why hasn't the music? Our music in one nation changes more in one year than the entire galaxies has apparently changed in 3000.
Hm....well really to be fair we never really hear any different types of music, its either the cantina song or max reebo's band or the ewoks.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

wesmarshall
02.09.2012 , 12:12 AM | #20
Yeah, but gosh darn, this isn't the movies, it's a video game. I mean, if you were watching Roadhouse and they played that stupid *** redneck song on the radio, do you assume everyoen else in the world just listens to that style of music?
FATMAN
-The Spinkler Legacy-
Spink - Ghust - Spenix